• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go for 50 Tendulkar

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If you look at those numbers, Lara is ahead for almost all of it though.
tendy lara
1992/93 1 1
1993/94 1 3
1994/95 2 5
1995/96 3 5
1996/97 4 5
1997/98 6 5
1998/99 6 7
1999/00 7 7
2000/01 8 8
2001/02 11 10
2002/03 12 11
2003/04 14 14
2004/05 15 14

lara is ahead between 1993 and 1997 and in 1998/99. sachin is ahead 1997/98, 2001 - 2003 and in 2004/05 and the rest of the time they are equal...moreover sachin's run of big scores is a much steadier progression over the years compared to lara's....lara's is in big spurts interspersed with long dry spells....care to comment?

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
it may be impossible to guage whether Tendulkar is past his best anyway, the bowlers are arguably much inferior and the pitches much flatter than early in his career.
too true mate.. i knew people would jump on the wagon ...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Although I doubt he'll get to 50, I'd take that bet if you put something more valuable (to me, I'm sure you're left 'nut' is very precious to yourself :sleep: ) and less of a turn off on the table. :dry:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Anil said:
not true...look at how the 150+ scores have been spread out over their career for both...
Infact, I'd say that Tendulkar is far more consistant there - Lara has gone missing several times throughout his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
it may be impossible to guage whether Tendulkar is past his best anyway, the bowlers are arguably much inferior and the pitches much flatter than early in his career.
The only bit I'd argue about is the arguable bit. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Infact, I'd say that Tendulkar is far more consistant there - Lara has gone missing several times throughout his career.
that's exactly what i was trying to explain to marc...even though lara used to have a bigger appetite for the biggies earlier in his career, it isn't as lopsided or as blatantly obvious as marc is trying to make out....and over the past 5-7 years, sachin has clearly evened things out and has even nosed in front...don't know what is in store for the rest of either player's careers....and i don't really like to compare these two as they are both my favourites...
:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It all depends on definition of big innings - I've never seen 150 been used as that benchmark until this week.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pratyush said:
Now about the big scores. The 159* Tendulkar has had via which he has emulated Sunil Gavaskar for 34 centuries not only helps him achieve this record but also makes him nmber two on the list of batsmen having a score of 150 plus (15) beating Lara (14). Surprised because Lara is the one who has had the reputation of the biger scores? This is one key aspect of the game Tendulkar has improved upon which every one has easily over looked

You do know that Lara's ratio of big scores is better than Sachin's, right? I am not saying Sachin is not a big scorer, but he is certainly not as good as Lara in that department. Sachin is a legend in his own right, but in the matter of making big hundreds, Lara is clearly ahead of him.

JBH001

International Regular
Whatever the pros and cons regarding the unendind debate of Tendulkar vs Lara (my money is on Sachin btw) I would contend that Tendulkar is undisputably the greater cricketer and sportperson.

Unlike Lara he has never been a whiny prissy prima donna who suffers from 'throw my toys and have a cry' syndrome.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
You do know that Lara's ratio of big scores is better than Sachin's, right? I am not saying Sachin is not a big scorer, but he is certainly not as good as Lara in that department. Sachin is a legend in his own right, but in the matter of making big hundreds, Lara is clearly ahead of him.
I didnt dispute that Lara isnt. Just showing Tendulkar is improving on the big scores department. All he needs is a bit of consistency which has been lacking.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It all depends on definition of big innings - I've never seen 150 been used as that benchmark until this week.
now you go back to that....c'mon marc, you know very well that we(you and me) have been discussing in this thread all along based on that(150+)....don't change the subject when you don't have anything more to talk on it....i accept as a fact that lara has shown a bigger appetite for the really huge scores(250-400 range) compared to sachin if you consider their career as a whole(in fact sachin has never reached 250 till now...)....there is really no disputing that....i was just disagreeing with the way you were setting about proving it....and the number of 150+ innings is also a relevant comparison...although it has to be taken in a different context....