Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left arm spin bowlers find it harder to become strike bowlers?

Left arm spin bowlers find it harder to become strike bowlers?

Most batsmen are right handed and I have this feeling its much more difficult for the left hand spin bowlers to become strike bowlers as they bowl a lot outside the leg stump or the batsmen pad to them.

If you think of it, not many great left arm spin bowlers comparing with other categories over the years.

What say?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    get back on MSN you poo...
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Most batsmen are right handed and I have this feeling its much more difficult for the left hand spin bowlers to become strike bowlers as they bowl a lot outside the leg stump or the batsmen pad to them.

If you think of it, not many great left arm spin bowlers comparing with other categories over the years.

What say?
    Well I don't really agree because I don't think that most batsmen are right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden

What say?
    IMO spinners are more effective when the ball is spinning away from the batsman, i think that all left-arm spinners should bowl around the wicket to right handers aswell, going over the wicket to right hand batsman is not the way to go i think, especially if your after wickets.
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

Quote Originally Posted by bryce
    IMO spinners are more effective when the ball is spinning away from the batsman, i think that all left-arm spinners should bowl around the wicket to right handers aswell, going over the wicket to right hand batsman is not the way to go i think, especially if your after wickets.
    Exactly why I think they are ineffetive a LOT. They bowl over the wicket even to right handers and just arent as effective..

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    I agree.

Plagiarising our Msn convo stuff for a thread on CW is not the done thing.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    I agree.

Plagiarising our Msn convo stuff for a thread on CW is not the done thing.
    I asked the question on msn and no one gave a good answer. And I thought getting perspectives would be a good option.

International Coach
    Exactly why I think they are ineffetive a LOT. They bowl over the wicket even to right handers and just arent as effective..
    Worked for Giles alot this summer.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I asked the question on msn and no one gave a good answer. And I thought getting perspectives would be a good option.

you thought wrong...

being a left arm orthodox bowler, i am always told to do one or the other. the simple fact is that first of all, it is always tough for a finger spinner to be an 'attacking bowler' as such, as they are not able to gain as much purcahse on the ball as a leggie. second of all, there are legitimate reasons for both going over and around the wicket to right handers.

going over the wicket is an effective tactic if there is little turn in the pitch, as it brings the slip into play moreso than if bowling over the wicket. if the pitch has a lot of bounce in it, then bowling over the wicket can enhance the chance of a catch going to forward short leg. in one day matches, it works as a defensive tactic, while in the longer version of the game, it can be used to reduce width afforded to a batsman who likes to free their arms, or who cannot play the sweep proficiently and attack this weakness.

bowling around the wicket always increases the chances of an lbw or a bowled, and if the ball is turning, is the most effective form of bowling in an attacking manner. the arm ball is usually more dangerous from around the wicket. it also allows movement around the crease to be more effective.

left arm spinners who were/are strike bowlers include bishen bedi, derek underwood (quick, but did take wickets), vettori and giles. remember that just as most people are right hand batsman, even a greater proportion are right arm bowlers and this means that because the pool is smaller to choose from, the number of quality left arm spinners will be less
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 11-12-2004 at 03:32 AM.

interesting...
    wish i could bowl left-arm

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Im a left handed orthodox spinner and sometimes i do find it difficult to be a "strike bowler" basically because i bowl on the leg stump alot.

Though last year i was top wicket ticket for my school team and club division its not always difficult. The fact that u can spin it away from right hand batters is a bonus but because i mainly bowl on leg stump i can sometimes get smashed when the batter goes after me

*** I do bowl over the wicket and find it can be more affective at TIMES but cancels out LBW chances ***
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

leg stump? that's a bit silly, i would of thought a left-arm spinner around the wicket to a right hand batsman would aim for about middle

ahhh... memories of Giles v Sachin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information