• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies squad for the VB Series

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Well, the training camp is in its final stages and 2 practice matches have been played (see Windiescricket.com for scorecards) so I thought I'd venture a 14-man squad to make the trip.

Gayle
W Hinds
Lara
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Powell
Marshall
Bravo
R Hinds
Browne
Bradshaw
Collins
Dillon
Collymore (or Butler, if not fit)

If it was a 15-man squad I'd add Ramdin, but I think 2 'keepers is a bit of luxury in a 14, particularly given the injury record on recent tours.

Sounds like Ryan Hinds has really impressed in the practice matches and may be earmarked to bowl at the death, so he gets the nod ahead of the other slow bowling all-rounder, Sherwin Ganga.

The final batting place, in my view, was between Marshall, D Ganga, Samuels and Morton. I don't think either Ganga or Samuels have done enough to displace the 2 standout batsmen from the recent regional 1-day tourney and I'll plump for the exciting youngster, who made a good 50 in one of the practice games.

The bowlers pick themselves, with Butler - who seems to be flavour of the month - perhaps first in line to step in if Collymore doesn't make it.

Any thoughts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As so often, there are plenty of certainties:
Gayle, W Hinds, Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Powell, Bravo, Browne, Bradshaw, Dillon
I don't think anyone really doubts the presence of these lot.
I'd be surprised, personally, to see Ryan Hinds bowling at the death - he's bowled pretty reasonably on a couple of occasions recently in the middle overs. IMO I'd prefer have Wavell bowling at the end, with Gayle the obvious other. If neither of them, then Bravo.
I'd be surprised if they only picked 14 players - even for a tournament of just 3 round-robin matches.
As for the rest, I'm guessing I know less than you about it so I'll leave it to you!

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I'd be surprised, personally, to see Ryan Hinds bowling at the death - he's bowled pretty reasonably on a couple of occasions recently in the middle overs. IMO I'd prefer have Wavell bowling at the end, with Gayle the obvious other. If neither of them, then Bravo.
I'd be surprised if they only picked 14 players - even for a tournament of just 3 round-robin matches.
As for the rest, I'm guessing I know less than you about it so I'll leave it to you!
The Ryan Hinds thing is something that Bennett King mentioned in an article I read today.

I remember Lara using another offie, Marlon Samuels, either to open the bowling or certainly within the first 15 when Oz last toured the Caribbean. It was pretty effective, but perhaps would be less so on Australian wickets.

I'd certainly like them to take 15, but 14 has been mentioned. Can't find out whether it's official.

Craig

World Traveller
I must say you have to give the WI selectors some sort of credit for forgiving Morton after his history. I would assume Morton has been told this is final chance and if he blows it, then he can kiss it all goodbye and he will only ever have to blame it on himself.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Not sure Morton will make the squad though. As mentioned above, I think there's only 1 batting spot up for grabs and he faces stiff competition.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
garage flower said:
The Ryan Hinds thing is something that Bennett King mentioned in an article I read today.

I remember Lara using another offie, Marlon Samuels, either to open the bowling or certainly within the first 15 when Oz last toured the Caribbean. It was pretty effective, but perhaps would be less so on Australian wickets.
Yes, I remember that, too.
I also remember Dravid deciding to open the bowling with Sehwag!
It works every now and then, but not very often. By and large the first 15 is not the time to bowl a spinner (especially a part-timer). Nor the last 10 (except special cases like Gayle).
Especially bowlers like Dharmasena, Utseya - the last thing you want to do is waste them by bowling them in the last 10 or first 15.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I must say you have to give the WI selectors some sort of credit for forgiving Morton after his history. I would assume Morton has been told this is final chance and if he blows it, then he can kiss it all goodbye and he will only ever have to blame it on himself.
Runako Morton is a disgrace to cricket IMO, he's damaged his credibility so many times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ide be going with:

Chris Gayle
Wavell Hinds
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Brian Lara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Marlon Samuels
Ricardo Powell
Dwayne Bravo
Ryan Hinds
Courtney Browne
Ian Bradshaw
Merv Dillon
Reon King
Pedro Collins

With a First XI of: 1 W.Hinds 2 Gayle 3 Sarwan 4 Lara 5 Chanderpaul 6 Bravo 7 Powell 8 R.Hinds 9 Browne 10 Bradshaw 11 Dillon

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
Ide be going with:

Chris Gayle
Wavell Hinds
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Brian Lara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Marlon Samuels
Ricardo Powell
Dwayne Bravo
Ryan Hinds
Courtney Browne
Ian Bradshaw
Merv Dillon
Reon King
Pedro Collins

With a First XI of: 1 W.Hinds 2 Gayle 3 Sarwan 4 Lara 5 Chanderpaul 6 Bravo 7 Powell 8 R.Hinds 9 Browne 10 Bradshaw 11 Dillon
I don't think Samuels has done enough to force his way back yet. I think he'd benefit from being made to work hard to get back into the international frame.

Wouldn't mind seeing Reon in, particularly if Collymore's unfit.

As far as your first XI goes, I think that's a good shout though I'd like to see 3 quicks with Collins in for Powell or R Hinds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last I had heard Collins hasn't been considered for ODIs because he always bowls too many no-balls (not that he's the only committer of that crime).
Has that changed? Because everyone seems in little doubt about his inclusion.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Last I had heard Collins hasn't been considered for ODIs because he always bowls too many no-balls (not that he's the only committer of that crime).
Has that changed? Because everyone seems in little doubt about his inclusion.
Well he's been the Windies best test bowler in the past season and had great figures (something like 2-12 off 6) in the last practice match in the training camp.

He also bowled, from memory, a couple of superb "death" overs (both the 49th, I think) in the World Cup against South Africa and the ICC defeat against South Africa (2002?).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
I don't really care about the West Indian squad (apart from Dave Mohammed)
Well let me assure you you'll not see him in ODI squads in the immidiate future!
Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll see as much of him in Test-squads as I'd like.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think Samuels has done enough to force his way back yet. I think he'd benefit from being made to work hard to get back into the international frame.
I really think it would do Marshall a dis-service to select him so young. He could beome another Samuels, thinking that international cricket is just "a given".

Samuels has international experience, has done reasonably well against Australia before, and can also bowl effectviely in ODIs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure how Butler would be the next logical selection if Collymore can't make it, as the first post suggests. Reon King should go IMO.

My squad:

Certainties:
BC Lara
CH Gayle
RR Sarwan
S Chanderpaul
CO Browne
IDR Bradshaw
WW Hinds
DJJ Bravo

Other 6:
M Dillon
RD King
RL Powell
PT Collins
RO Hinds
S Ganga

I genuinely believe Ganga has what it takes to succeed even at this point in his career. A solid strokeplayer and a very effective offspinner. I'd much rather see Marlon Samuels and Xavier Marshall play Carib Cup cricket instead of the VB Series. Marshall more so, because he'll likely be asked to bat in the middle order and that's not the best thing for a young opener.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Well let me assure you you'll not see him in ODI squads in the immidiate future!
Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll see as much of him in Test-squads as I'd like.
I agree. He's not been faced with the best of conditions for his type of bowling thus far and really didn't bowl too badly in his two Tests, showing good potential but getting poor figures.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Not sure how Butler would be the next logical selection if Collymore can't make it, as the first post suggests. Reon King should go IMO.
I don't think I implied that Butler was the logical selection, more that he was a likely selection based on my reading of the situation.

Don't you think that having 3 off-spinning all-rounders is a bit much? I'd prefer to see the final spot go to the best batsman available and, judging by stats/reports, Marshall and Morton are ahead of Sherwin in that respect.

Don

State Vice-Captain
ok well herees my suicide squad
GAYle-Given
W HINDS-given
Ronnie-given
LARa-given
the greAt 1(tiger)-given
Bradshaw-given
bRavo-given

Rhamdin-i just dont like browne
s Ganga-jus a cool dude and darrens bro(darren playing loads of ****e so hes out)
Collins-cuz well its collins
dillion-for some reason he always gets the call
R hinds-useful
reon king -good to see him back
samuels but bench im

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
Don't you think that having 3 off-spinning all-rounders is a bit much? I'd prefer to see the final spot go to the best batsman available and, judging by stats/reports, Marshall and Morton are ahead of Sherwin in that respect.
Marshall - too young and raw.
Morton blew his chance twice before. You may say it's not fair, people change. Life's not fair. If a person "changes" whilst in prison, they're not going to release him because it's not fair for him to be imprisonated.