• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Richardson to retire?

Kent

State 12th Man
With a press conference to be held in about 10 minutes, one can only presume he'll either announce his retirement effective immediately or for the end of the season.

Richardson's questioned whether he wants to continue playing in his newspaper columns, and speculated about retirement last season until the English series renewed his enthusiasm. It's important IMO to remember that playing cricket isn't some kind of military service, and at 33 he's perfectly entitled to move on to something new.

However there is a bit of a 'rat off a sinking ship' feel to this, with NZ's test team nowhere near ready for another high-profile loss. Richardson's class clown streak is fast leading him towards the career in the media, but goofing around on TV won't seem quite so amusing to me if NZ can't cobble together an opening partnership out of Papps, Jamie How, Sinclair or Fleming (the latter would require a backflip from Bracewell).

How (23 y.o.) has impressed CW posters like me and Tim before, and there's always been hints in his game (particularly his pull shot) that on international pitches his results will be more impressive. We were both disappointed by his 'A' tour of S. Africa, but now with 105 and 100* against Otago to start the domestic summer he seems to have vaulted himself right into contention.

shaka

International Regular
On the national bank cricket company he told Danny Morrison that it has been in his mind for a while, but if his performances are not up to the black caps standard, then he would be considered as an "extra". He made 43 or something for Auckland in the recent match against ND.

shaka

International Regular
I think he just annouced retiring on the radio after the Canterbury match today

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow! One of the more bolt-from-the-blues of recent times, here!
TBF to some correspondants, there has been prediction of the possibility on here.
Premature? Quite possibly IMO, but if you've lost your desire, that's that. Without the desire, there's no point playing on at all.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Kent said:
With a press conference to be held in about 10 minutes, one can only presume he'll either announce his retirement effective immediately or for the end of the season.

Richardson's questioned whether he wants to continue playing in his newspaper columns, and speculated about retirement last season until the English series renewed his enthusiasm. It's important IMO to remember that playing cricket isn't some kind of military service, and at 33 he's perfectly entitled to move on to something new.

However there is a bit of a 'rat off a sinking ship' feel to this, with NZ's test team nowhere near ready for another high-profile loss. Richardson's class clown streak is fast leading him towards the career in the media, but goofing around on TV won't seem quite so amusing to me if NZ can't cobble together an opening partnership out of Papps, Jamie How, Sinclair or Fleming (the latter would require a backflip from Bracewell).

How (23 y.o.) has impressed CW posters like me and Tim before, and there's always been hints in his game (particularly his pull shot) that on international pitches his results will be more impressive. We were both disappointed by his 'A' tour of S. Africa, but now with 105 and 100* against Otago to start the domestic summer he seems to have vaulted himself right into contention.
That's a bit rough - during brief stints in the commentary box, cricket writers and commentators have been impressed by his analytical mind. He's a fairly intelligent fellow to who cricket isn't the be-all and end-all.

In an interview with Graeme Hill about half an hour ago, he said he wasn't enjoying playing the ''Mark Richardson'' game anymore, and that game was the only way he would succeed in batting, so it was time to give it a miss.

I guess it has been coming though, as he has been talking for a while about trying to introduce more shots, and this has coincided with his slide in form.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think its an excellent time for Richardson to retire. He has the respect of the cricket world and New Zealand cricket has had some series losses in the last year (Pakistan, England and Australia). They can only go up from here.

It gives kiwis the chance to find a young opener who could last 7-8 years..

shaka

International Regular
Craig Cumming has also put his hand up, alongside Jamie How as a possible replacement for Richardson in the black caps. He will be missed for Auckland though.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Craig blew his chance and i don' think they will go back that way especially as he is 29.. they might as well find someone young who will be around for 10 years or so

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard Rash said:
Craig blew his chance and i don' think they will go back that way especially as he is 29.. they might as well find someone young who will be around for 10 years or so
Rules me out too - I'm 25, and I suck.

:D

I had the pleasure of playing with Rigor for a season or two of club cricket in Dunedin, and he was one of the most easygoing and relaxed guys you would meet. He was happy to give me advice when I asked, and he was great value in the dressing room when the rain was coming down.

I hope he enjoys his retirement and putting his own unique spin on NZ cricket through his writing.

bryce

International Regular
Papps and How is the way to go i think, it has an indredibly inexperienced sound to it though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, this is definately bad news for Mathew Sinclair, as it means in all likelyhood, hell be opening, and it definately brings back the possibility of McMillan in the middle order.

As much as youde all like to think Jamie Howe or Craig Cumming is going to take the spot, Im pretty confident Sinclair will stay there.

Kent

State 12th Man
Voltman said:
That's a bit rough - during brief stints in the commentary box, cricket writers and commentators have been impressed by his analytical mind. He's a fairly intelligent fellow to who cricket isn't the be-all and end-all.
Certainly no arguments that Rigor is an insightful reader of the game. My 'goofing around on TV' comment was more about him saying he was interested in being a TV weather man, Jim Hickey-style.

Richardson's smart but strikes me as a bit too flighty, and leaving an employer in the lurch mid-season (some may even say at a point close to crisis) doesn't really impress me if that's in fact what he's done. No matter how affable and candid you are, if you're moaning about being in poverty-stricken Bangladesh watching DVDs for a 6-figure living, you'll never really be my type of person.

We all have periods of a job that we don't enjoy, but I guess in Rigor's defence, passion is more of a defining aspect when it comes to playing a sport.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
SirBloody Idiot said:
Anybody thought this may be the chance for McCullum to bat up the order a bit?
yea, sounds good to me! but not opening if thats what you`re suggesting.

Kent

State 12th Man
Prince EWS said:
As much as youde all like to think Jamie Howe or Craig Cumming is going to take the spot, Im pretty confident Sinclair will stay there.
Yeah, despite Sinclair's complete lack of comfort, it's hard to see two new test openers heading out against Sri Lanka.

There's still room for a Papps/How/Bell/Cumming (probably in that order of likelihood IMO) to come in though, with Bracewell's "the side looks better with Fleming at 3" maxim likely to hold.