• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Don says the future of cricket depends on SL,Pak,Ind

dinu23

International Debutant
I read this article in the FOX sports web site. in that apparently Bradman has said that the future of cricket is with SL, Pak, Ind. What does that mean exactly?

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Good call there Mr Mxyzptlk.
No disrespect to the great Don but when he hit the ninties he really would of been near senial and didn't really know what he was saying himself and therefore we should really disregard anything he said in that final decade

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i'm not sure i'd agree that you should disregard anything he said!! and i do see where he was coming from with his comment. It's not like pakistan or sri lanka are exactly flourishing at the moment but it would be great for cricket if they did (along with sth afr, zim, bangla, nz....).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
I read this article in the FOX sports web site. in that apparently Bradman has said that the future of cricket is with SL, Pak, Ind. What does that mean exactly?
Post the link then.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If he did say that, I am sure he was influenced by the much greater enthusiasm for the game amongst the young in these three countries as against the others where cricket has lots of competition from other sports and diversions that vie for a youngsters attention.

If so, it would be spot on and nothing to be surprised about or disagree with.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
I feel he has a point....since Cricket is the ONLY game that SL, Pak and IND follow with so much of passion, the game will never die in these countries. Believe me people in these countries live and breath cricket. You cant compare it to anything...not even the obsession the english have towards foot ball. There are millions of people to support cricket in these countries. So in that point of view i think the future of cricket depends alot on SL, pak and IND

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
That is true, but we are more passionate ODI followers, rather than Test cricket. (And Im referring to Pakistan here..but Im sure India and SL are similar)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Blade said:
That is true, but we are more passionate ODI followers, rather than Test cricket. (And Im referring to Pakistan here..but Im sure India and SL are similar)
I wasnt just talking of the fans, its the youngsters taking to playing the game. We have much larger proportions going into the game so the pool from which cricketers will come is large and not shrinking as in some other places.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
I guess so...but most of Sri lankans watch Test matches on TV...i mean they really WATCH the match ball by ball.... People dont like to come and watch to the grounds simply becuase of the comfort and the luxury of replays and commentries on TV. So i guess they are interested in both forms of the game almost equally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard Rash said:
Good call there Mr Mxyzptlk.
No disrespect to the great Don but when he hit the ninties he really would of been near senial and didn't really know what he was saying himself and therefore we should really disregard anything he said in that final decade
I think you probably mean senile, and I can certainly tell you that he wasn't in 1995 (aged 86 IIRR) because I watched an interview with him in which he talked with total sense and not a hint of losing his mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Is every statement Bradman made going to get its own thread?
However, yes, this is true: it's not like this is a big, major incident.
I do think he was right, though, in that all the money is in the subcontinent.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
i think i saw that inteview when it was repeated sometime when it was raining in the last ashes series
it was really interesting and i agree he wasn't at all "senile" and althought the fact that he was the greatest batrsman of all time does not mean everything he said must be true but he did have a very valid point here particularly regarding the fact that cricket is basically the only sport followed by millions with such passion in the subcontinent

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why cant someone have an opinion which is different from ours ??

But no. If it is someone on the forum he is either talking through his hat or hasn't a clue about the game and if it is someone as senior, experienced and legendry as the Don, he has to be senile !!

Really :-O

cricket player

International Debutant
SJS said:
Why cant someone have an opinion which is different from ours ??

But no. If it is someone on the forum he is either talking through his hat or hasn't a clue about the game and if it is someone as senior, experienced and legendry as the Don, he has to be senile !!

Really :-O
There are thousands of youngster's from sub_continent(spelling)like me who breaths and live's cricket unlike the english and the aussie's.bradman', was right sub_continent is the breating ground for cricket for youngster's like me cricket is life cricket is living cricket is passion and cricketforlife :p

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
dinu23 said:
... well go dig that grave, and slap him few times, maybe u can get it outa him