• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alan Donald retires from all Cricket

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
neck injury - sad news. He's going to carry on coaching though.

Let this be the tribute thread - Awesome bowler

Langeveldt

Soutie
Langeveldt said:
Possibly the one reason I'm here talking about cricket..

Thanks for the memories Allan..

*Sob* - Well that was all a bit emotional.. Im off to bed, hopefully tomorrow will not be packed with such bad news..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashamed to say that I didn't realize he was still playing cricket. Never put too much thought into it, but just assumed he'd retired completely when he bowed out of internationals.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I also thought he had retired from FC cricket along with the internationals.

The best memory of Donald I have is the ball with which he bowled Tendulkar.

Donald started international cricket the same day I started watching it in Eden in 1991.. He has been the best fast bowler along with Ambrose I have ever seen (that is bowling live which means post 1990). At their peak I rate him above McGrath, who has been awesome as well and Gillespie (very lethal 96-98) .. As far as accuracy goes, there is no beating McGrath at his best though.

NikhilN

International Regular
Really sad news. I loved watching him bowl, and getting run out. My fav and the best SAF bowler ever!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ashamed to say that I didn't realize he was still playing cricket. Never put too much thought into it, but just assumed he'd retired completely when he bowed out of internationals.
You seriously didn't notice all those Free State games where he took the new-ball with Pretorius last season?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
neck injury - sad news. He's going to carry on coaching though.

Let this be the tribute thread - Awesome bowler
A terrible shame injuries blighted the end of a glorious career.
Certainly my 2nd-favourite bowler of my time watching.
Him leaving the field in tears against Australia was IMO one of the greatest injustices in cricket - along with Wasim leaving with a similar injury against Bangladesh.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
You seriously didn't notice all those Free State games where he took the new-ball with Pretorius last season?
I don't generally follow South African domestic cricket.

shaka

International Regular
He was always a great bowler, hope he becomes a bowling coach for the proteas. Everytime he bowl, the batsman feared for their wicket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

shaka said:
Everytime he bowl, the batsman feared for their wicket.
Doubtful whether that was the case at the end of his international career. He really looked like he'd jumped the shark at that point.

Deja moo

International Captain
If only the 2003 WC wasnt to be held in SA, Donald could have bowed out the way he deserved to...at his best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Doubtful whether that was the case at the end of his international career. He really looked like he'd jumped the shark at that point.
The injuries didn't help - in his penultimate Test-series (counting the home-away Australias as one) he still looked, while not as brilliant as his absolute heyday, quite a handful.
You, of course, should remember the thing more acutely than I do, as it was in West Indies.
By the time 2001\02 came round, he'd had several injuries and they quite clearly reduced his effectiveness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't generally follow South African domestic cricket.
Really?
I'm surprised to hear that.
You always struck me as someone who'd glance over the scores in all domestic games (well, except maybe subcontinental ones, of which there are too many to bother) like me.

Piper

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Possibly the one reason I'm here talking about cricket..

Thanks for the memories Allan..
I knew you would say something like that.
Yeh he has given me so many memories, and i would have been scared to have him running towards me when i was battin.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Really?
I'm surprised to hear that.
You always struck me as someone who'd glance over the scores in all domestic games (well, except maybe subcontinental ones, of which there are too many to bother) like me.
England and Australia, occasionally New Zealand and South Africa. I didn't do anything above checking a couple of South African games last season. That too was only in search for stats for a post.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Deja moo said:
If only the 2003 WC wasnt to be held in SA, Donald could have bowed out the way he deserved to...at his best.
He was struggling before the WC though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
The injuries didn't help - in his penultimate Test-series (counting the home-away Australias as one) he still looked, while not as brilliant as his absolute heyday, quite a handful.
Pretty sharp. 14 or 15 wickets (14 I think) from memory and an average that couldn't have been much higher than the mid20s. There was one particular Test, the 5th (I remember because we won that one), when he and Pollock shared 9 wickets as the West Indies was all out for 220odd. Pollock took 5/28 and Donald took 4 for 50odd.

I enjoyed that series a lot. Walsh was in his prime and Ramnarine looked quite the prodigy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ramnarine was about 30 by then, wasn't he?
Apart from Donald, Pollock and Walsh, Kallis didn't bowl badly either.