Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does ODI Form Relate to Test Selection?

Does ODI Form Relate to Test Selection?

Ive been arguing with someone who believes that Lee should be picked in front of Kasprowicz for the WACA test based on his one day form.

But I strongly believe that one day and test form shouldnt be mixed when i comes to selection time.

They are totally different. Objectives of both batsmen and bowlers are different, field placing are different, captaincy is different etc etc.

What do you think about the matter?
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    Ive been arguing with someone who believes that Lee should be picked in front of Kasprowicz for the WACA test based on his one day form.

But I strongly believe that one day and test form shouldnt be mixed when i comes to selection time.

They are totally different. Objectives of both batsmen and bowlers are different, field placing are different, captaincy is different etc etc.

What do you think about the matter?
    I agree, unless Kasper loses form in the test arena then Lee should be made to wait. Unfortunately for Lee it was a loss of form in the first place that saw him dropped......I have to give him credit for bowling well tonight though.

Kasper has done nothign wrong in the Tests, as such he probably shouldn't feel threatened by Brett at this stage.

But if Lee can get himself into some form and confidence in the next couple of one-day games one could argue that it would be foolish to overlook a bowler bowling that well for a Test where conditions would suit him down to the ground and against opponents who struggle in Aussie conditions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    i think that performance in odi's do have some impact on test selection, and i feel that is a good thing. if lee performs like he did tonight, or better, and kasper underperforms, i would not be surprised or frankly that disappointed if lee was selecter ahead of him. like you said duffer, itd be foolish to overlook someone consistently performing well.

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Though IMO it shouldn't, based on Prince EWS comments, i think that the selectors will look at one day form. If Kasper doesn't do very well in the next game, he might be overlooked because of Lee's great form and because it's the WACA.

International Debutant
    it would appear that selectors look to ODIs as a stepping stone to full Test selection & this would apply equally for established players as well as novices........

provided the players in question have displayed the required attributes for the longer game, then IMO selection favours momentum / runs on the board / wickets in the bag................etc

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    It depends on how the runs are scored or wickets taken, rather than the fact that they have been. Only if the player shows a capacity to be able to stand up to quality bowling, rather than quality ODI bowling should ODI form be taken into consideration.

By the same consideration, players who fail to score heavily or break stumps in ODI cricket, but haven't looked bad, should be given a chance at Test level if they merit it by FC scores. Above all, a player should be selected for Test cricktet by FC performances ahead of limited overs performances.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I think it should be done on a combination of the 2 - ODI Cricket is still International Cricket, so the pressures are a lot higher than those of domestic games, so if they can cope with the pressure then that IMO is a lot of battle won.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    I agree with Marc, a healthy balance between ODIs and FC performances should be the key to selection.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I think it should be done on a combination of the 2 - ODI Cricket is still International Cricket, so the pressures are a lot higher than those of domestic games, so if they can cope with the pressure then that IMO is a lot of battle won.
    My point was really that you don't pick a batsman for Test cricket based on ODI cricket alone. Rather that batsman has to show the competence to deal with FC cricket first. Basically I agree with the essence of your post.

I dont think it should have an impact at all.

They are totally different games.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar

They aren't totally different in the strict interpretation of the term.

Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion! Jet Pac Stan Champion!
    OD form should have some impact, but the type of player also needs to be evaluated.

Some excellent ODI bowlers such as Gavin Larsen took their wickets by strangling the RR and forcing the batsmen to take risks. Unfortunately for such bowlers these tactics seldom work in tests. Similarly, batsmen like Marshall work the quick singles without taking the bowling apart, as ODI fields are much more defensive, allowing such play. Again, test captains would set appropriate fields to stop this.

Smashing a quick 30-60 can change the course of an ODI but far less significant in a test. Averaging 20-30 at a S/R of around 100 is not acceptable for front-line test batsmen.

Therefore, AUS would be stupid to drop Kazp because of his ODI form.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i doubt Kaspa will play another ODI this series, his test form has been good though - i would say its more likley that Lee get picked as a 5th bowler than replacing kaspa.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

There was a case in point last summer that both Williams and Bracken were chosen for tests because of good ODI form and both struggled and showed a distinct lack of class.

There is no way Kaspa should be dropped for one bad over. Besides Lee showed a noticeable drop in pace in his second and third spells.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information