• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does ODI Form Relate to Test Selection?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
So if they can perform in International Cricket in one form, then they don't have ability?

If they've shown it in one form, why not give them a go in the other?
i think its fairly obvious to realise by just watching whether someone has the ability to succeed in another form of the game. for example it was glaringly obvious that someone like key would fail in ODIs, and it was fairly obvious watching strauss in ODIs to realise that he had the ability to succeed in tests(although he is still relatively unproven).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can make a pretty good guess, yes (it's easier, of course, to do that at the domestic level, as that's the first time you get limitless-over cricket - all levels below that are mostly over-limit games).
However, there are players who will not look like they've got the abilities for one game when they're playing the other, but turn-out to after all.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
You can make a pretty good guess, yes (it's easier, of course, to do that at the domestic level, as that's the first time you get limitless-over cricket - all levels below that are mostly over-limit games).
you can, of course the international level being a step up will always provide a more accurate representation about whether someone is good enough in another form of the game or not. of course because i dont get to watch domestic cricket i base my opinions on their performances at the international level.

veeru300

Cricket Spectator
I think one day and tests forms are pretty much the same thing. A batsman has to hit the ball well to be in form, this might not be related to making runs in the lower middle order. So my point is top 5 batting slots must be 80% similar in tests and onedays if you are using a pinch hitter in the shorter version of the game then exclude him , otherwise the technique and form must be taken into account and thats it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No, the ODI's are much more about running between the wickets - part of the reason Bevan was so successful and Key has done naff-all/

tooextracool

International Coach
IMO had bevan been given more chances, he would eventually have succeeded, probably not to the extent he succeeded in ODIs but certainly a 40+ average.i think its quite impossible for someone to average 57 in aussie domestic cricket with such a prominent weakness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not totally certain about that... it's unlikely, true, but Bevan was twice bounced out of Test-cricket by an England attack that posed few problems to most other players.
I don't think Bevan would have too many complaints about selection... on the rare occasions I've heard him speak about it he's said he's very sad he blew the chances he got, not "I really think I should have got more".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
veeru300 said:
I think one day and tests forms are pretty much the same thing. A batsman has to hit the ball well to be in form, this might not be related to making runs in the lower middle order. So my point is top 5 batting slots must be 80% similar in tests and onedays if you are using a pinch hitter in the shorter version of the game then exclude him , otherwise the technique and form must be taken into account and thats it.
Form is the same thing - class is different.
One-day and First-Class batting require some virtues that are the same, some that are different. Similarly with one-day and First-Class bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
you can, of course the international level being a step up will always provide a more accurate representation about whether someone is good enough in another form of the game or not. of course because i dont get to watch domestic cricket i base my opinions on their performances at the international level.
All I meant was that it's unlikely that someone will be good enough for the international and not for the domestic.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I'm not totally certain about that... it's unlikely, true, but Bevan was twice bounced out of Test-cricket by an England attack that posed few problems to most other players.
I don't think Bevan would have too many complaints about selection... on the rare occasions I've heard him speak about it he's said he's very sad he blew the chances he got, not "I really think I should have got more".
well i for one cant believe that someone who can score as prolifically as he has in the best domestic cricket system in the world still has problems against the short ball. surely after those failures at the international level, most bowlers at the domestic level would have peppered him with the short deliveries?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd think they'd have tried it.
I too find it extremely puzzling, but I also think Bevan had enough chances at Test-level and couldn't really compain about being dropped on any of the occasions he was.