• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel Vettori

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I've been watching the first game of the Chappell/Hadlee Trophy, and seeing Vettori bowl I was wondering why not so long ago, alot of people were saying how he isn't that good, and only performs against lowly teams.

IMO, Vettori is an accurate, smart and techniquely good bowler. He bowls varied speeds and has great flight, and always competes. I think he would be one of the top bowlers going around right now.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah i've been watching it update on cricinfo.com (i can't watch it over here) and he's already picked up 3 wickets, including a double wicket maiden. he didn't impress me much in the test series but so far in this game the aussies really only seem to be hitting singles off him, and he just finished with 10-1-31-3, so he must be doing something right.

nibbs

International Captain
vettori is really good. just went through a rough patch two summers ago,,,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
andyc said:
he didn't impress me much in the test series
:huh:

He was NZ's best bowler by a long shot. Him and Oram were IMO the only good things for NZ to come out of those 2 tests.

andyc

Jono said:
:huh:

He was NZ's best bowler by a long shot. Him and Oram were IMO the only good things for NZ to come out of those 2 tests.
lol whoops looking back at the scorecards he did take quite a few. guess that just shows how much i know

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hes one of those players who just lifts against Australia. Hes the bowling equivalent of Laxman.

And really, if you think about it, he always lifts for big games, especially in ODIs.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Eclipse said:
when i see him bowl like he did today I wonder why his avrage is so poor..
the kiwis have no-one else simply! when the other team are smacking them, they need someone to keep the runs down, so vettori vacates that job. he is an excellent bowler, and it seems he is on the improve even now. he bowled very well with cairns at the other end, and i think that says something.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Why is his average so poor? Because he's had a long bad run, in both getting wickets through talent and also in bad luck as he's often been told not out when it was indeed out, although I'm not making excuses at all. I disagree that he gets smashed, though - as far as I remember, his only problem has been a wicket-drought. He's always been economical in ODI's, unless I've missed something.

But yeah, overall, it's just wicket-taking form - he's finally getting back into his game, and here's hoping this form lasts. :)

duffer

He was thrown into the deep end of Test cricket really early wasn't he? The first few seasons I didn't think he was exactly ready for Test cricket thus the inflated averages.

He's a much better player than his numbers suggest IMO.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Actually, for the first few seasons he was brilliant, and was regarded the best left arm finger spinner in the world, or something like that. :p It's the more recent years prior to 2004 that he's really struggled.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
From watching him play recently, the stats just don't make sense. So just don't look at stats, they really don't matter that much, all the time.

bryce

International Regular
yeah he started playing international matches when he was 18 after only 2 first class matches, he also went to my old school and was captain of 1st XI cricket in 6th and 7th form aswell as captain of the 1st XI soccer, he only scored one century for our school(106) so is batting has improved remarkably.