• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian squad for Bangladesh

India call up uncapped pace duo

Nehra has been allowed to rest an abdominal strain
India have named two uncapped pace bowlers in their squad for a two-Test series in Bangladesh.
Gagandeep Singh and Shib Shankar Paul were the new faces, while left-armer Ashish Nehra was allowed to rest an abdominal strain.

India squad: Sourav Ganguly (Capt), Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, VVS Laxman, Gautam Gambhir, Mohammad Kaif, Dinesh Karthik (Wkt), Irfan Pathan, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Murali Kartik, Zaheer Khan, Gagandeep Singh, Shib Shankar Paul.

Pacer Gagandeep Singh is the one to watch out for, he has loads of talent and has done wonders at domestic level.

Yuvraj has unfortunately miss the buss.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Why wouldn't they play Yuvraj? Rest one of your star players, or just someone with a small injury, because it's only Bangladesh.

biased indian

International Coach
Laxman is reported to be disappointed to be dropped from the Odi team and he was not told so by the Selctors of the team managment???

Kumble when asked y he took rest from the ODI series said that "he did want to watch an ODI sitting in the stadium "

both are reported to be upset with the indian team mangment attitude towards them!!!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
biased indian said:
Laxman is reported to be disappointed to be dropped from the Odi team and he was not told so by the Selctors of the team managment???

Kumble when asked y he took rest from the ODI series said that "he did want to watch an ODI sitting in the stadium "

both are reported to be upset with the indian team mangment attitude towards them!!!
uh oh... :wacko:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Now it is clear why team selection is such a difficult issue. They are trying to drop a couple of guys who have not had such a great time in ODIs recently but look at what many are saying. Everyone is saying they played them against the tougher sides and they are dropping them agains the weaker sides. Now if they had kept these guys, the same many would have said why not try youngsters. That is how difficult team selection is in India. They have everything to lose, and pretty much nothing to gain.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumble IMO should just retire from ODIs like Warne did, and concentrate on tests, where he shines.
And who will take the wickets? Kumble is a far better bowler than any of the others in the ODI side. One just needs to remember the Platinum Jubilee match. Come to think of it, he should not only be a regular in the ODI side, but also the captain.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What I can't understand is Laxman is complaining about being dropped when he's out of form, thinking he should be retained because he needs to get form back?

Erm, surely the reason for being dropped is because of lack of form?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
And who will take the wickets? Kumble is a far better bowler than any of the others in the ODI side. One just needs to remember the Platinum Jubilee match. Come to think of it, he should not only be a regular in the ODI side, but also the captain.
Obviously you misunderstood my post and didn't read the article I was referring to. Yes he's our best bowler, but the Indian team are not playing him... that simple. Why should he tour when he's not going to play? (as he said).

He's accepted that he will be sitting in the pavilion doing nothing, and if he's choosing not to tour Bangladesh than it's pretty clear he's accepted his fate. May as well hang the boots up and concentrate on the test arena, especially with the test form he's in now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
What I can't understand is Laxman is complaining about being dropped when he's out of form, thinking he should be retained because he needs to get form back?

Erm, surely the reason for being dropped is because of lack of form?
Because other players aren't dropped when they are out of form, but he is. He's often a scape goat for India's woeful performances. On top of that, his fielding is apparently criticised, when he performed countless acts of awesome fielding in the VB series which was less than a year ago.

I also find it odd they leave him out of the ODI squad, when its test he's being struggling in. Hell he owned the VB series and scored a ton in the 5th ODI against Pakistan setting up the win. If they're going to leave him out of anything, shouldn't it be the test team?

Deja moo

International Captain
Jono said:
Because other players aren't dropped when they are out of form, but he is. He's often a scape goat for India's woeful performances. On top of that, his fielding is apparently criticised, when he performed countless acts of awesome fielding in the VB series which was less than a year ago.

I also find it odd they leave him out of the ODI squad, when its test he's being struggling in. Hell he owned the VB series and scored a ton in the 5th ODI against Pakistan setting up the win. If they're going to leave him out of anything, shouldn't it be the test team?
I believe its a good thing they've dropped him. Agreed he is good in the slips , but a slipper is not Indias immediate need .Tendulkar has shown himself to be a good slip fielder in the past, and the only reason he fields in the outfield is because there is no other place Laxman can excell in the field. By consigning Tendulkar to the outfield, India are missing out on valuable inputs during the game. Many a time has a commentator admitted to being puzzled as to why Tendulkars opinions are not sought by Ganguly and Dravid during the game...he has been pushed to the boundary rope, thats why !!

Plus , I'd rather have a batsman who contributes a fifty odd every other game than one who makes sub-20 scores for 9 games and a century in the tenth. Laxmans form this season hes been nothing special to write home about.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the problem here is that the selectors have said that "Laxman has been rested" and he is asking why. He does not want to be rested, it seems.