• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Sri lanka after a good tour in Pakistan goes to face the Kiwis. Will the Sri lankans fair well on the pitches in NZ ???

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends what the pitches are like, and on the psychology of the Lankans.
If the pitches are like those for the last NZ season, they need to think right and they should do very well.
If they're like the season before (and the one before that), 2-0 to NZ is on the cards!
And even if the pitches offer nothing to the seamers, most of Sri Lanka's past suggests they'll probably think "away Test-series" and fall-apart.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I think this series could actually be very close. Both teams are fairly average at the moment, and they should have some really good games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sri Lanka are fairly average?????
Their ODI form has been second-to-none recently and their Test form hasn't been bad at all aside from their three surrenders of the advantage in the home Australia series.

dinu23

International Debutant
gunawardena is not even in the squad. I also think the outcome of the matches will depend on the pitches.If the pitches are good for pace bowlers SL batsman will not fancy their chances. Bowling won't be that much of a problem. Vass is in good form, dilhara is back. the pace attack looks ok but the spin department is lacking in experience without murali. murali may play in the second test...not sure.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the pitches are good for pace bowlers then the spinners shouldn't come into the equation over the series course. Zoysa/Vaas/Fernando will have to do the wicket-taking. Chandana isn't the worst though.

anzac

International Debutant
IMO a lot of the outcome will depend on the fall out from the AUS Tests so far as the NZL selections are concerned.............

eg - 6-4 v 5-5..............& will they bring in new blood - bat & ball??????

bryce

International Regular
the new zealanders' are normally twice as good at test matches when they play at home

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
bryce said:
the new zealanders' are normally twice as good at test matches when they play at home
Except when Bracewell is coaching.

If NZ plays with the same side as in AUS then 0-0 or 0-1. If Bond, Tuffy, and Papps return and Fulton comes into NZ's weak middle order then NZ 1-0 or 2-0.

What was the result of the last series home series against SL? Pretty sure NZ got done in the ODIs.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
_Ed_ said:
A very good question. How fast is Murali?
Murali is one of the most agile and athletic cricketers in the SL Team, as his fielding record (50 odd Cathches in the outfield), and his ground fielding would suggest !

If Mark Richardson wants the laziest fielder in the SL Team, it would be Nuwan Zoysa, who is known to be even averse to bending to stop balls running towards the ropes !! :D :D (But then he is a tall lanky lad and I suspect on a flat race to the finish, he may outclass Mark)!!

There are no tubbies in the SL Team at the moment. Herath is the only one who seems slightly of a rotund figure !! :D :D

The next option for Mark would be to go for the shortest fellows !! Samaraweera and Chandana seem to b pretty short and Mark may have an edge with his long strides then !! :laugh: :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
gunawardena is not even in the squad. I also think the outcome of the matches will depend on the pitches.If the pitches are good for pace bowlers SL batsman will not fancy their chances. Bowling won't be that much of a problem. Vass is in good form, dilhara is back. the pace attack looks ok but the spin department is lacking in experience without murali. murali may play in the second test...not sure.
I thought Murali was given the all clear to play right away and was planning to play in the first Test ?

I do hope NZ will have Bond and Tuffey in full fitness, because NZ Team is awesome and in a different class when the two play in the Team. It also lifts their batting performance as well . I suspect the pitches in NZ will favour the pacemen .

But SL has in Vaas, Zoysa, Dilhara and Malinga bowlers capable of performing in Seamer friendly conditions !!

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
i think New zealand will have the edge. Sri lankan bowlers will perform well but the batsman will find it hard to bat on seam friendly pitches in NZ.