• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst cricketing injury?

Buddhmaster

International Captain
From what i've seen, it was the Waugh/Gillespie collision, but that (^) couldn't have been good, seeing as he died.

bryce

International Regular
LittleMo said:
Peter Lever: 'I don't want any bloody sympathy, do you understand that? It has happened. People who say 'I know how you feel' are just talking bullsh*t. They don't know, not at all. What I can't forget is that the ball was a deliberate short one. Not deliberately at his head, but still deliberate.'

Chatfield's heart stopped for several seconds and it was probably only the quick work of the English physio and a St. John's ambulance officer, who administered mouth to mouth resuscitation, that saved his life.
yeah he also swallowed his tongue and could of easily choked.

a couple of people have been known to die during first class matches(see cricket trivia threads), but in the modern era pedro collins sounds like one i definately would not like to have,

'he was best remembered for an injury of the cruellest kind, when a Jason Gillespie delivery trapped a testicle outside his box'.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
bryce said:
in the modern era pedro collins sounds like one i definately would not like to have,

'he was best remembered for an injury of the cruellest kind, when a Jason Gillespie delivery trapped a testicle outside his box'.
Christ! That brought tears to my eyes just reading it!!!

Think Bumble Lloyd got a ripper from Tommo in the happy sack in about 75 too. But that smarted a tad!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
bryce said:
:-O
Oh the pain.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Not as bad as the above mentioned, but I didn't enjoy the Mark Vermeulen cracked skull last season.

Simon Jones was shocking to watch, poor bloke.

Agreed about the Gillespie/Waugh collision, that was pretty nasty!

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I believe that was the second fractured skull by Mark Vermeulen. I think he is a good player just waiting to happen, but never becomes one.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gus Logie's broken nose in close from a Merv pull shot was pretty bad - seeing as though he had a helmet on at the time and apparently it pushed the grill in.

I got hit in the mouth with a cricket ball in 5th grade (and I was bowling - I've never bowled a half-volley since! haha) and it knocked out one tooth, broke another and also broke my top jaw...........done by a guy who should have been playing 2nds or 3rds, but then if you bowl **** balls it can be dangerous! :p

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The Simon Jones and Alex Tudor ones are the worst I have seen in a while.

I am squemish when it comes to blood, and for the Aussies, the Alex Tudor injury looked remarkedly like Shaun Hart's injury in the prelims this year.

Link

State Vice-Captain
I agree with all the injuries mentioned so far. The simon jones injury looked so bad i felt the pain myself. The alex tudor injury was also very bad seing that brett lee was bowling especially fast that night.
But what i saw a couple of months ago in the India, Pakisatn series made me cringe. A delivery from Pathan hit Sami in the grion so hard that it managed to smash his box!! :wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
V Reddy said:
There was one game in Pakistan in the '50s where a game continued despite a batsman collapsing at the wicket.
He was recorded as "retired hurt" in the first-innings and "did not bad - dead" in the second! :down:
Cricket can cause some terrible things, really.