• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eng vs. SA head to head?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
He scored well there didn't he?
No, of course he didn't, but I didn't hear you mentioning anything about scoring runs - I heard you talking about playing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Even without those two innings, Kallis still averages 61.05 without his not outs.
Why exactly are we to remove not-outs?
How could anyone be stupid enough to realise that not getting out does actually deserve some credit?
(Not saying you're saying as such, Liam, but why not just tell the fool that?)

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
If I had to pick a lineup from the two squads I'd go for (combining form and history):

G. Smith
A. Strauss
J. Kallis
M. Vaughan
G. Thorpe
A. Flintoff
M. Boucher
S. Pollock
N. Boje (still better than Giles and a far superior bat)
M. Ntini
S. Harmison

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
No, of course he didn't, but I didn't hear you mentioning anything about scoring runs - I heard you talking about playing.
I thought we were talking about recent form. Recent and form being the key words.

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
and technique too, thats my basis for strauss over gibbs, i reckon he has a better technique. BTW my team is to play vs Australia and I've just decided to swap Ntini for Hoggard, just so I can hear Mark Nicholas call him Hoggy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I thought we were talking about recent form. Recent and form being the key words.
Well given that Gibbs' recent form has been quite magnificent - his most recent Test might be more than a little misleading - I don't see how it matters anyhow.

Langeveldt

Soutie
nzidol said:
and technique too, thats my basis for strauss over gibbs, i reckon he has a better technique. BTW my team is to play vs Australia and I've just decided to swap Ntini for Hoggard, just so I can hear Mark Nicholas call him Hoggy.
Thats a point, will we be getting Sky or Supersport commentators?

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Well given that Gibbs' recent form has been quite magnificent - his most recent Test might be more than a little misleading - I don't see how it matters anyhow.
I was just pointing out that his last productive test was in March, that time off could have been good or bad, we don't know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Thats a point, will we be getting Sky or Supersport commentators?
Depends what you're watching - I'm hoping, for the sake of the game in this country, that C4 will be providing nightly highlights of both Tests and ODIs. (I'm also kinda presuming it's already been decided, and that someone here will know)
If they are, they'll be teaming-up with SuperSport like they did last time (and like they did with C9 in Australia).
If you're watching Sky, meanwhile, we'll be getting the normal lot of Charles Colville \ Marcus Buckland in the studio and Paul Allott, Bob Willis, David Lloyd, David Gower and Ian Botham in the box. With who-knows guesting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I was just pointing out that his last productive test was in March, that time off could have been good or bad, we don't know.
Well he's recently found something resembling his feet in the SuperSport Series, you might be interested to know.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
All very nice but I clearly stated this year in my last post, that does not include December last year when the 158 & 177 were scored.
if you look carefully, kallis still averages more than flintoff with the bat this year. not outs or not

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
How could anyone be stupid enough to realise that not getting out does actually deserve some credit?
Because this way it conclusively proves the point. There's no room for argument when the stats are presented in such a way.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
I was just referring to the whole india problem and that Gibbs hasn't had much test match action this year, not since about march anyway.
well if he hasnt played any much test cricket this year, then i wouldnt put someone else ahead of him on current form. we can only look at what hes done so far this year, which is quite brilliant to say the least.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
because its a lot better to disprove someone using his own point as the basis....

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
well if he hasnt played any much test cricket this year, then i wouldnt put someone else ahead of him on current form. we can only look at what hes done so far this year, which is quite brilliant to say the least.
It was between gibbs and strauss, not a sa player for gibbs. And i was just referring to the fact that strauss has played well recently(not zim) and gibbs has had little recent action, despite his last scores being good.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
and recent form is 1 test, which cannot be the basis of recent form. if you look at strauss' last test you'll see that he hasnt done too much in it either. in fact strauss hasnt been particularly brilliant outside of lords.

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
and recent form is 1 test, which cannot be the basis of recent form. if you look at strauss' last test you'll see that he hasnt done too much in it either. in fact strauss hasnt been particularly brilliant outside of lords.
But in a time sense not a test sense i.e 6 months as opposed to 1 test.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
It was between gibbs and strauss, not a sa player for gibbs.
yes i know

twctopcat said:
And i was just referring to the fact that strauss has played well recently(not zim) and gibbs has had little recent action, despite his last scores being good.
but gibbs has not played lately, just because he hasnt it doesnt mean that he is in poor form or that someone else is in better form.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
But in a time sense not a test sense i.e 6 months as opposed to 1 test.
but in the last 6 months hes only played 1 test, and looking at 1 test is wholly unfair to any player.