• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest plodders in international cricket history.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pinkline Jones said:
Cricket Joke,

Don't mean to embarrass you mate but could you please provide the names of the people who taught you English Grammar. I want them struck off the register.
hahahahaha, ah that's good. :D

No offence intended CP, but I found that amusing considering the other thread that is going about grammar.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
cricket player said:
i wanted to prove richard wrong and i think it was worth it. :p

Yea if i could really be bothered i would find the two scorecards involving USA in the champions trophey.. USA a great force in cricket... don't mess with them. If USA cricket is thriving which you claim through all of those organisations how come not one of the USA players in the champions trophey was born in the USA.

cricket player

International Debutant
Richard Rash said:
Yea if i could really be bothered i would find the two scorecards involving USA in the champions trophey.. USA a great force in cricket... don't mess with them. If USA cricket is thriving which you claim through all of those organisations how come not one of the USA players in the champions trophey was born in the USA.
ok richard it seems like i have to prove you wrong again.

Clayton Lambert: not exactly what is meant by youth policy © Getty Images

USA's abysmal performance in the Champions Trophy has reopened the debate on whether the ICC is setting eligibility requirements that make it difficult, if not impossible, for the them to field competitive teams in international cricket?

Under current rules, almost all cricketers allowed to represent the USA must either be US citizens or have lived in the US for the better parts of seven consecutive years. Two players can play as "deemed nationals" if they have lived in the USA for four consecutive years. There are other details, but this is the essence of ICC's requirements; only citizens and long-standing residents are eligible to play for the USA, with perhaps a couple of players admitted as token immigrants who have "nearly" made the grade.

This leads to some rather strange situations. If you happen to be born in the USA (or for that matter Canada) it does not matter where you have lived or played cricket, you can play for Canada or the USA whenever you want to. Canada's John Davidson and Ian Billcliff play first-class cricket in Australia and New Zealand respectively, but were born in Canada and therefore qualify as citizens. In fact, the search is on for first-class cricketers anywhere in the world who happened to have been born in the USA, in the hope that there are US Davidsons out there waiting to be discovered.

Acquiring citizenship by naturalization (or even permanent residence) is a quite difficult matter in the USA and post- 9/11, the process has become a tortuous one. Some people have to wait five, 10 and even 15 years before they complete the procedures. In fact, there are people who have qualified for residence but simply do not bother to go through the paperwork because of the hassles involved.

The US situation is in stark contrast to other countries (such as the UAE) where citizenship could be acquired rapidly and instantly, and wholesale importation of professionals to pad team rolls was given as the reason for establishing the ICC eligibility requirements. Those issues simply do not apply to the USA, and are not likely to do so in the foreseeable future.

So, suppose you are a young first-class cricketer from Pakistan or Jamaica who is immigrating to, and wants to play cricket for, the USA. Assuming you are around 25, you could expect to be at least in your mid or late thirties before you could qualify for Team USA. Even worse, most of those years would be spent playing cricket at far lower than first-class levels. If you were especially brilliant, or earned the favour of US selection committees, you might earn a spot as a "deemed national" in four years—but with only two such spots available in every USA team, your chances would be remote.

The results are predictable and obvious. Some of the USA squad in the Champions Trophy were in their forties, persons whose best years of cricket were behind them but who were among the few to qualify. Steve Massiah, one of the best young players, barely made it on to the team as a "deemed national". The other "deemed" player was Clayton Lambert, the former West Indian Test cricketer. Leon Romero, a so-so player in Trinidad, was an automatic selection because he had been born in the USA.

On the other hand, a Trinidad junior player who had already immigrated to the USA chose to pass up the US cricket scene and returned to play in Trinidad because he did not wish to be sidelined for his best cricketing years. He might decide to play for the USA some time in the future, but certainly not now.

By an unofficial estimate, at least 80% of the best cricketers in the USA would not meet the eligibility requirements set up by the ICC. They may be bona fide residents or naturalized citizens, but have not spent the necessary four or seven years away from overseas first-class cricket; they are young, their skills are still sharp, and they could be coached far more effectively than a team of mostly superannuated pensioners.

If the ICC is really serious about raising the level of cricket within the USA to world-class ODI standards by 2007, as it declared two years ago, then it must relax its eligibility requirements, to allow the best US cricket talent to showcase itself. Otherwise, in future the USA will be trapped in a perpetual quarantine, unable to re-invent itself as it desperately needs to do

cricket player

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
You don't need to post all this to prove Richard wrong.. In fact, you don't have to say anything

what do you mean i don't have to say anything' the guy richard needs to learn more about usa cricket and i am ready to help him from bottom of my heart. there are some americans that know alot about cricket but for the time being they are more intersted in to baseball rather then cricket. there are alot of cricket commercialing in america. as i have mentioned it above usa cricket has alot of indian and pakistani talent but after 9/11 there cricket life has been ruined. in order to get in the usa team you have to be a citizen and you have to spend 7 year overseas for domestic cricket like richard in canadian team and the other guy who made 100 runs againt's west indies' usa has more player's then any international team there are youngster's who are whiling to play for usa but they are not eligibel.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Yip i still stick by my original comment. I think we will have to agree to disagree there big fellah... I don't have time to read those long posts nor the will. If you want to make a point to me make it precise and to the point because otherwise i will not read it and still have ignorant views on USA cricket... the great powerhouse.

cricket player

International Debutant
Richard Rash said:
Yip i still stick by my original comment. I think we will have to agree to disagree there big fellah... I don't have time to read those long posts nor the will. If you want to make a point to me make it precise and to the point because otherwise i will not read it and still have ignorant views on USA cricket... the great powerhouse.
richard i gave up. i won't explain anything about usa cricket to you it is just waste of time richard you dont seems to be interested in usa cricket.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
cricket player said:
richard i gave up. i won't explain anything about usa cricket to you it is just waste of time richard you dont seems to be interested in usa cricket.

You seem to be a bit confused. Are you using past or present tense?

But seriously i think you are disillusioned if you think USA will be a test playing nation... certainly in this century anyway. There is obviously not enough support for the game at the moment with baseball being the summer game and there needs to be a greater awearness of the game from the people... thats pretty much all i know about USA cricket.

Yerrss indeed Camel,

And a very good comment you make there. These imbeciles are rampaging across cyberspace in all kinds of aimless directions. But you've got to remember the JIM (Jones Imbecile Management) principle, set'em up and then knock'em down.

Camel56

Banned
Pinkline Jones said:
Yerrss indeed Camel,

And a very good comment you make there. These imbeciles are rampaging across cyberspace in all kinds of aimless directions. But you've got to remember the JIM (Jones Imbecile Management) principle, set'em up and then knock'em down.

Yes you're right there Jonesy, they are all over cyberspace and there isnt much we can do about it other than take them down a notch and hope they learn the ways of the wise. Plodders all of them! Absolute uphill gardening plodders!

Yerss indeed - reminds me of that superb group "The Mixtures" - that glorious song of theirs:

"Riding along on my plod plod honey when I noticed you".

Marvelous music and how about that wonderful young man Laurence Sorbello. "We're the Plod Squad from the Bush".

Camel56

Banned
I had a good hard think over the weekend and i think ive found possibly the biggest plodder in cricket history - Mike Whitney

Opinions people.

cricket player

International Debutant
Camel56 said:
I had a good hard think over the weekend and i think ive found possibly the biggest plodder in cricket history - Mike Whitney

Opinions people.
you have to think a bit harder camel56.Mike whitney is not the biggest plodder in cricket history. I have the answer but i won't tell you. :p

Camel56

Banned
Well if he isnt the biggest plodder in cricket history he is damn close to it. Where would you place him in all time plodders list cricket player?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I really can not go past Scott Muller as the biggest plodder. How about Ranjan Das? Pushpakumara?

howardj

International Coach
Pinkline Jones said:
Cricket Player,

That was one hell of a post. Well done. You can re enter the classroom now. LOL
You're a riot, Pinkline Jones! Without a doubt, you're Australia's leading social commentator!

Camel56

Banned
James90 said:
I really can not go past Scott Muller as the biggest plodder. How about Ranjan Das? Pushpakumara?
Yes i agree that Muller is right up there with the big guns when it comes to plodding. However i think Whitney more than holds his own.