• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest hit you've ever seen.

Camel56

Banned
Whats the biggest hit you've ever seen?

I remember in the late 80s Imran Kahn smashed a ball over the old Clem Jones stand at the Gabba and onto stanly street.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Biggest hit that i have witnessed in person was Chris Cairns at the Basin Reserve when he smashed a six out of the ground and on to the road... he did it twice.. very memorable

Langeveldt

Soutie
Leicestershire all rounder John Dakin hit Michael Burns out of the ground, and to the far end of a nearby car park.. Massive Strike.. I think Simon Francis hit one over the River Tone and into the livestock market as well..

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Bond hitting Ganguly out of Eden Park. Baseball style swing. Unbelieveable.

Camel56

Banned
Remember that Mining company sign in Sth africa when australia were touring a few years ago. Some large amount of money for hitting the thing at the top of the grandstand. Gilchrist smashed one that went sailing past the side of it. Perfect height and distance just a tiny bit off the mark with accuracy.

Hoggy31

International Captain
The biggest hit i've seen was Brett Lee in an ICC Champions Trophy match in Kenya where he hit it out of the ground and hit a cars windscreen.

Camel56

Banned
Ive made my fair share of massive hits when batting. One that comes to mind was smashing the ball from the bottom of my driveway, out over the road and over the top of the house on the opposite side coming to rest in a rose bush against the fence of that yard. Amazing display of sheer power doesnt even begin to describe the shot.

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brian "BD" Dickinson of Cornwall Cricket Club in Auckland, got hit for the biggest six in the history of the game at Orewa against East Coast Bays by "Sheldon". Sailed high wide and handsome over the bamboo shoots.

Great Stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Astle during the England tour in 2001\02.
No, not during the chanceless-222 which bordered on the unbelievable - but in his far-more-crucial (from a match POV) 135* in the final ODI.
Swung the winning hit off Flintoff over mid-wicket and over the roof.
Still, the best comment had to be from David Lloyd, after one hit for six off Hoggard had sailed over the Christchurch roof: "New balls, please!" Priceless! Fantasmagorical! Bumble-only.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course, mine during the St.James sixes of August 30th, 2004 wasn't bad... at first, I was so surprised to connect with the ball at all that I didn't realise how far it had gone. Then, when it sailed over the trees, I began to realise. :blink: :mellow:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
the gabba often gets big ones...i recall one from ponting a few years ago which landed on top of the glass box where the fielding team's staff, etc sit.

A few have landed in the top tier of the gabba over the years as well, I think from memory Ponting, Symonds and Cairns have all managed it.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
well the biggest hit i've ever seen was in a local first grade match, so i'm going to assume no one here was at that particular ground that day, so this may be a little hard to explain to people.

I'm sure there have been bigger hits (couldn't imagine to much bigger) but personally have never witnessed any first hand.

Anyway, it was Dean Waugh (Steve and Mark's younger brother) playing for Bankstown.

For any Sydneysiders here who have been to Waverley Oval near Bondi Beach you may be able to pitcure it. The square boundaries are quite small (about 55-60 metres) while the long boundaries are very long (bout 90 metres from the centre of the pitch) - very similar in shape to Adelaide Oval.

Waugh hit a pull shot that cleared the leg side grandstand by about 5 metres. I'm trying to give this as clear as i can, but the top of the grandstand is about 20 metres off the ground, and is about 80 metres from the centre of the pitch. So the ball was about 80 metres from where Waugh hit it, and still about 25 metres off the ground and was still rising slightly.

Anyway, the ball landed about a further 40 metres behind the grandstand in a plant nursery out the back of the ground. Given the nursery is slightly raised from the ground, some of the long standing people at the club have estimated the ball would've hit the ground about 125-130 metres from where Waugh struck it.

And it was huge.

Sounds a bit of a talk up but if you were at the ground, and you could see where the ball landed you'd be pretty amazed at how big the hit was.

Camel56

Banned
Crazy Sam - yes i remember Carl Hooper hit one into about the 4th or 5th row in the top section at the gabba a few years ago.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
A couple of pontings straight hit sixers off the indian fast bowlers in the WC final were some of the biggest ive seen.Way into the second tier of the stands.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Camel56 said:
Whats the biggest hit you've ever seen?

I remember in the late 80s Imran Kahn smashed a ball over the old Clem Jones stand at the Gabba and onto stanly street.
I was at the ground that day and is the biggest six I've seen. I was standing in front of the Clem Jones stand and was expecting it to come down into the stand. It kept going and just disappeared over the top and into Stanley Street.

Viv Richards also hit a big one when playing for Queensland in the 70s, also landed in Stanley Street over the old score board.