• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket books

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
My fav cricket book has to be Peter Frith's rather splendid "Bodyline Autopsy".

I'm loathe to use the word "definitive", but I do think it will be the book by which any other books about the 32/33 series will be judged against. As an Anglo-Aussie (English born, moved to Oz @ 9) Frith is probably as close to a neutral as you can get. He reports the facts as they are & doesn't indulge in the psychological speculation that can afflict some sports books. He also unearths a scoop about Bradman, which I won't divulge...you'll have to read it yourself!

My only minor gripe is his slightly sniffy attitude to the magnificent Windies pace attack of the 70s/80s/early 90s. Whilst trying to take a tailenders head off isn't on, I don't see anything wrong with a few short trackers to test a batters mettle.
Maybe I'll add this one to my list, too.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Camel56 said:
Ive got book called "Next Man In." Its a thorough explaination of all the laws of cricket with many anacdotes about each law. For example before there was a law restricting the dimentions of the bat, a player came in with a bat made as wide as all three stumps. Great book, very amusing. Not sure if they have updated it recently though as my copy is from the late 80s.
It is a great book. The third and last edition came out in 1995. The author died three years ago.

Camel56

Banned
Tapioca said:
It is a great book. The third and last edition came out in 1995. The author died three years ago.
Tapioca - thats a shame. You're quite right it is a fantastic book.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Warwick Todd's great but I thoroughly enjoy World Cup Diaries and autobiographies. Steve Waugh's WC Diary 96, Ricky Ponting's WC Diary 03. About to start "My First Year" and i'm thinking of getting "Worth the Wait" by Darren Lehmann.

Isolator

State 12th Man
SJS said:
6. The Joy of Cricket edited by John Bright-Holmes
I have this one. Ray Robinson's piece about Stan McCabe is utterly brilliant. The sort of thing that makes you worship the guy without knowing anything at all about him.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
James90 said:
Warwick Todd's great but I thoroughly enjoy World Cup Diaries and autobiographies. Steve Waugh's WC Diary 96, Ricky Ponting's WC Diary 03. About to start "My First Year" and i'm thinking of getting "Worth the Wait" by Darren Lehmann.
:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
DON BRADMAN - Challenging The Myth
by Brett Hutchins

This is not a new book, published as it was in 2002. However, I have just bought it and started reading it today. Promises to be very interesting indeed.

Inside back cover reads

"....Unlike the mostly reverent literature on 'The Don', this book explains how his iconic status was created and sustained , and what his popularity and status say about the meaning of Australian nationhod. Brett Hutchins' unique analysis reveals the mythical character of so many representations of The Don and connects them to broader social phenomena and the cultural context in which they were created. Hutchins considers the many ways in which Bradman has been represented - as a symbol of Australian masculinity, as the quintessential Australian boy from the bush, as the 'battler', and as a hero at a distance from the political. Drawing out the ideological content of these representations, Hutchins is able to show that many of the truisms we take for granted about Bradman and his role in Australian culture are open to challenge."

Hutchins, himself, in the first chapter explains,

"In studying a popular hero in this way, my intention is not to 'tear down' and discredit Bradman's character. I am not, as John Birmingham has suggested, 'looking for a loose thread to pull in the hope that the whole tapestry will unravel'. Rather this book is an attempt to introduce some balance to the mountain of nostalgic dedications and hagiographies that are available on Bradman. Critical analysis and debate, can bring a long overdue perspective to Bradman's place in Australian culture and history and I strongly believe that this approach is as respectful of Bradman's memory as any tribute.'

With only 166 pages of text, it is an expensive book, at least the hardback version I have bought. But it is clearly a cricket book with a diference which is compelling me to read it from beginning to end in one sitting which I cant say of the many Bradman books I have in my library.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i picked up a geoff boycott autobio at a school fete once for 50 cents. little did i know it had been personally signed with a message

Waughney

International Debutant
I have a similar book 'Bradman', by Charles Williams.

"Uniquely among biographers of Don Bradman, Charles Williams sets his subject's cricketing acheivements within the context of a crucial period in the history of modern Australia, a time when, as the country felt her way towards something that the world would recognise as 'nationhood', Bradman became a focus for national aspirations, a figure of unique status"

First published 1997 I think, 320 pages long. Good so far.

Here's mine:

1. Baked Beans by Toilet Light - S Warne
2. Watching the Grass Grow - How to Calm Hyperactive Kids
3. My Most Obnoxious Over Celebration Bowlo Moments - B Lee
4. When I Met Kournikova and other Delusions - S Warne
5. Walk not Wa*k Not - A Gilchrist
6. Old Gnomes, Uphill Gardeners, and Boofheads - R Benaud
7. Bowled Shane and 101 other Nongisms - A Gilchrist
8. The Joy of Watching Paint Dry - P Jones

Camel56

Banned
What about "Lesbians and LOOSERS" by Max Walker? Very good read i found. Certainly a lot better than "Poofters and Ploders" by the same author.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pinkline Jones said:
Here's mine:

1. Baked Beans by Toilet Light - S Warne
2. Watching the Grass Grow - How to Calm Hyperactive Kids
3. My Most Obnoxious Over Celebration Bowlo Moments - B Lee
4. When I Met Kournikova and other Delusions - S Warne
5. Walk not Wa*k Not - A Gilchrist
6. Old Gnomes, Uphill Gardeners, and Boofheads - R Benaud
7. Bowled Shane and 101 other Nongisms - A Gilchrist
8. The Joy of Watching Paint Dry - P Jones
:laugh: :laugh:
Brilliant !!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
i picked up a geoff boycott autobio at a school fete once for 50 cents. little did i know it had been personally signed with a message
Even more amazing, the message was addressed to you?