• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb poster with the best understanding of the game

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My point being that guys in your age-group routinely find it very difficult to credit those in me, Neil, Rich, Rich, Andre, Liam, Reuben, Andrew, etc.'s age-group as being equal or even superior to you.
It's the "age has to mean experience" thing that I've spoken-out against before, y'know?

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
My point being that guys in your age-group routinely find it very difficult to credit those in me, Neil, Rich, Rich, Andre, Reuben, Andrew, etc.'s age-group as being equal or even superior to you.
It's the "age has to mean experience" thing that I've spoken-out against before, y'know?
well for me, i wouldnt even know whether the people you have listed are young or old or whatever..from what I can gather, those people you have listed know their stuff...however, those of us who have seen the game over a longer period of time will have seen things that some of the younger people wont have done...it doesnt make us superior or anything, but sometimes it means we can put cricket played as it is now into a bit more context by comparing what we saw in the 80's or 70's (or in LE and SJS's cases the 1800's :D ).

TBH,people like Neil,Liam etc seem alot older (maybe a better word is 'mature') than maybe they are, in that they dont have an 'I'm right, the rest be damned' attitude...I always get the impression they are will to take on board various peoples opinions...sometimes Richard you do come over as being a young lad trying desparatly hard to prove a point to everybody..which is ok in itself, however if people on here could see that you werent so stuck in your ways and so inflexible about ideas that people express on here all the time, then maybe more people on here would actually take you a tad more serious than you are.

Sometimes you behave in a way which perpetuates this image which you have developed on here,and you just go on turning youreslf into a bit of a joke,...which is a shame coz you obviously do have a love of the game and an understanding...and understanding of what I am not entirely sure, becuase you seem to lack an understanding of what this game is truely about.

tell me if I am being unfair

Blaze

Banned
Swervy said:
well for me, i wouldnt even know whether the people you have listed are young or old or whatever..from what I can gather, those people you have listed know their stuff...however, those of us who have seen the game over a longer period of time will have seen things that some of the younger people wont have done...it doesnt make us superior or anything, but sometimes it means we can put cricket played as it is now into a bit more context by comparing what we saw in the 80's or 70's (or in LE and SJS's cases the 1800's :D ).

TBH,people like Neil,Liam etc seem alot older (maybe a better word is 'mature') than maybe they are, in that they dont have an 'I'm right, the rest be damned' attitude...I always get the impression they are will to take on board various peoples opinions...sometimes Richard you do come over as being a young lad trying desparatly hard to prove a point to everybody..which is ok in itself, however if people on here could see that you werent so stuck in your ways and so inflexible about ideas that people express on here all the time, then maybe more people on here would actually take you a tad more serious than you are.

Sometimes you behave in a way which perpetuates this image which you have developed on here,and you just go on turning youreslf into a bit of a joke,...which is a shame coz you obviously do have a love of the game and an understanding...and understanding of what I am not entirely sure, becuase you seem to lack an understanding of what this game is truely about.

Absoultly agree 100%

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Yet you seem to imagine that we can't see what you saw, just because we weren't around when it happened.

Plenty of people have told me and Craig we seem older than we are, too... and I'll say I was very surprised when I heard tec was only 18, too, I'd always thought he was 20 or 21.
Seriously, if you'd been me, and had realised how much "taking on board" I've had to do to get the amount of knowledge I have even now... almost everything I know I know because someone has told me (even if they haven't been speaking directly to me).
Yes, I do tend to be more vehement and much, much less laconic in my discussions and that means, inevitably, that people are much, much keener to prove me wrong. And I seem, of course, insufferably arrogant when I simply state the true fact that it doesn't actually happen very often.
Yet I still manage to get on very well with most of the people I've met on these forums.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Yet you seem to imagine that we can't see what you saw, just because we weren't around when it happened.
the key word I said is 'context'..the way a ball,an innings,a match, a series, a bunch of series played out in real time

An example just plucked out of the air..Robin Smiths test debut vs WI in 88..scorecard just says he scored 30 odd..you can probably get highlights somewhere with maybe 3 or 4 shots in the innings...but the only way one can get the real effect is by watching it there and then ...it was an innings which made people really sit up and take notice..here was someone playing for England who actually had the technique and temprement to play the WI's quicks, it was an eyeopener for people who had watched most England batsmen basically curl up for the last couple of series (apart from Lamby and maybe Willey)..its things like that which you cant pick up on in books, highlights packages etc..well not properly anyway

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, indeed, you can't - but you can if you read about (or listen to) people who watched it and also watch the highlights. Or, of course, if you procure ball-by-ball footage, but that's a rare treat.
And that is something I don't think you "we're experienced" brigade really give us lads credit for.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SpeedKing said:
Just about every post by C C, Neil, BoyBrumby and, i agree with. Those who came across to me as having great knowledge and understanding of cricket are Slow Love, Mr. Mxzyptcal [sp], Neil, SJS and C C off the top of my head.
You agree with me and C_C? Hmm...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Swervy said:
TBH,people like Neil,Liam etc seem alot older (maybe a better word is 'mature') than maybe they are, in that they dont have an 'I'm right, the rest be damned' attitude...I always get the impression they are will to take on board various peoples opinions
:)

Should have seen me four years ago, then... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. A lot of it is, I think, acquired communication skills and word choice in the way that you post what you post, coming across as authoritative but not arrogant when you make claims or assertions, and being accomodating and not simply state/restating when discussing.

For example...

"Granted, the match-winning innings that Dalton played at Wellington in 2002 was a fine example of batting under pressure - not many people can make those kinds of scores with a middle-order and tail committing hara-kiri around them, but there has been little else in his career to back up your claim that he's one of the world's best batsman.

If, for example, you look at the ODI series in Sri Lanka the year after - there were two or three times where he played very rash, injudicious shots when the onus was on him to remain unbeaten and see the team to victory in the games. His disproportionately high ratio of dismissals in single figures also suggests a weakness early in his innings"

contrasted against...

"rubbish. one innings doesnt make dalton a good batsman even if that innings was good and on that i would disagree entirely because the bowlers bowled short and wide too often and the wicket was flatter than others he has failed repeatedly on. in sri lanka he was nothing but useless and probably cost the game and series because he was unable to play anything other than that idiot hoik shot off the leg spinner and got stumped twice and caught off skiers so many other times. no one who bats like that can even be thought of as good never mind great"

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
:)

Should have seen me four years ago, then... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. A lot of it is, I think, acquired communication skills and word choice in the way that you post what you post, coming across as authoritative but not arrogant when you make claims or assertions, and being accomodating and not simply state/restating when discussing.

For example...

"Granted, the match-winning innings that Dalton played at Wellington in 2002 was a fine example of batting under pressure - not many people can make those kinds of scores with a middle-order and tail committing hara-kiri around them, but there has been little else in his career to back up your claim that he's one of the world's best batsman.

If, for example, you look at the ODI series in Sri Lanka the year after - there were two or three times where he played very rash, injudicious shots when the onus was on him to remain unbeaten and see the team to victory in the games. His disproportionately high ratio of dismissals in single figures also suggests a weakness early in his innings"

contrasted against...

"rubbish. one innings doesnt make dalton a good batsman even if that innings was good and on that i would disagree entirely because the bowlers bowled short and wide too often and the wicket was flatter than others he has failed repeatedly on. in sri lanka he was nothing but useless and probably cost the game and series because he was unable to play anything other than that idiot hoik shot off the leg spinner and got stumped twice and caught off skiers so many other times. no one who bats like that can even be thought of as good never mind great"

Very good Neil. I am impressed

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
My point being that guys in your age-group routinely find it very difficult to credit those in me, Neil, Rich, Rich, Andre, Liam, Reuben, Andrew, etc.'s age-group as being equal or even superior to you.
Well given that I'm in the age group you listed here, I'm inclined to wonder what you are talking about. I certainly didn't select the people I listed based on age, nor did I suggest that the people you listed don't know what they are on about.

Also, I believe among the people I listed that Jono is much closer to the age group you mentioned than late 20s/early 30s, since he started uni this year.

Last edited:

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS. Partly because all of his posts are calm, well-thought out and with good spelling/grammar, which certainly adds to the quality of a post IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BoyBrumby said:
At the risk of sounding like a sheep I've gotta say SJS too. Clearly knows his stuff & is never condescending to oiks like me who obviously don't! :D

Honourable mentions to Lucky Eddie & Swervy, who both seem to have dropped off the radar at the mo.

I do agree with Mr C that more cricket related posts from Slow Love would be interesting. He's always good value on Off Topic.
That's what I said on 01/12/04 & I still rate SJS as the top boy round here for the same reasons as I did then.

It's nice to see LE & Swervy back in the harness, as it were & SL, as ever, remains good value (when not dismissing my apposite arguments as non-sequiturs, the cheeky Aussie tw@t! :D ).

I would like to add that wpdavid is a welcome, but too infrequent, visitor to CW shores & Son of Coco's dry, laconic wit I enjoy too. There's also a healthy crop of new-ish posters (Fiery, Somerset, Blaze & FaaipDeOiad are names that spring to mind) who are more than able to hand their ends up in CC without unduly scaring the natives.

Speaking of C_C....

Am I the only one to notice it, but is it me or has C_C pulled his head in a bit of late? He's obviously a clever chap, that much was evident from day one, but I had him down as a bit of a head-of-the-d1ck because he was a victim of the "My opinion is bigger than your opinion & here's a point-by-point refutation of your opinion" cod-macho posturing that can occasionally afflict Cricket Chat (& that we all find so desperately tiresome).

Lately tho, while still opinionated, he seems less aggressive & altogether more chilled (maybe he's getting laid! ;) ). His post on Sehwag was one of the best I'd seen for some time.

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
:mad::****ed::crazy::mad2::ranting:

Luckyeddie,

dont you think we can sue him for something :p
you can if you think those ricketty old legs of yours can get yourselves up the steps of the courtroom :wheelchai

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
You agree with me and C_C? Hmm...
Yeah, serious. From C C's posts, i think he supports India and even though i support England, i never seem to find something in his post that i contradict. Left him out but i also always seem to agree with all but everything that Marc posts.

wot is there something going on between you two, i have never noticed anything you two having a fully fledged post battle like Richard-TEC or Richard-Anyone else

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SpeedKing said:
Yeah, serious. From C C's posts, i think he supports India and even though i support England, i never seem to find something in his post that i contradict. Left him out but i also always seem to agree with all but everything that Marc posts.

wot is there something going on between you two, i have never noticed anything you two having a fully fledged post battle like Richard-TEC or Richard-Anyone else
Nah, I'm too lazy for post battles :)

He's one of the members whose opinions are less aligned with mine.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Am I the only one to notice it, but is it me or has C_C pulled his head in a bit of late?
No, I noticed that as well. Maybe he's just come to realise how charming and wonderful we all are, and decided to try and get along?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well going back to the main topic of this post, i know i do know a lot about cricket and i state my views accordingly, but guys who i have posted againts like Richard, Faaip, Top cat, Tec & Neil seem to know the game well