• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sawn Off Bats

Does anyone know whether sawn-off bats are permitted at test level? I'm referring to an old Norman O'Neill Plodder edition that came out in the late 60s? It had a glorious linseed sheen, a great sweet spot and a generous follow through. Just a pity the neighbour's dog ate the handle.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Maccas bat was sawn at the bottom to make it square. Only problem was when he went to slide the bat while running. Is that what you are talking about?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Illegal.
A bat has a stipulated maximum width (which a random test a few years ago showed some group of batsmen or other to have slightly exceeded).
I presume it also has a stipulated maximum length.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pinkline Jones said:
Does anyone know whether sawn-off bats are permitted at test level? I'm referring to an old Norman O'Neill Plodder edition that came out in the late 60s? It had a glorious linseed sheen, a great sweet spot and a generous follow through. Just a pity the neighbour's dog ate the handle.
Normally, when you say 'sawn-of' one would presume, the rounding of the edges at the bottom is gone and the bat virtually has a flat base on which it could 'stand'. That by itself is no problem by the laws.

The laws only specify the maximum width, the total length and the material from which the bat is made. Within this anything is okay.