• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Australia Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
mavric41 said:
When did Watson get caned? He would actually be the fastest bowler in the team. He is also very good at keeping it tight. You were obviously watching through those tinted glasses of yours.
he has been for most of his ODI career.
and of course his 1/60 in his only test makes him a really great threat.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
he has been for most of his ODI career.
and of course his 1/60 in his only test makes him a really great threat.
And your'e the person who said you shouldn't look at ODI performances when assessing test match ability.

Btw Jason Gillespie didn't do much better in the same match.

tooextracool

International Coach
mavric41 said:
And your'e the person who said you shouldn't look at ODI performances when assessing test match ability.

Btw Jason Gillespie didn't do much better in the same match.
and jason gillespie has done far better for the rest of his test career and more than proven what he can do. watson on the other hand hasnt, hence i can only point out that he was average in his only game to date and IMO katich is a far better bet than him.
with regard to ODIs, i was only pointing out that he has been caned in ODIs, hence he isnt quite the accurate bowler that you've been talking about. i think its quite obvious that accurate bowlers are accurate in both forms, not just one.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Thank god some one else believes he can bowl too.
I think he's a good bowler.

And TEC, Watson is not a bowler who will get caned in Test matches. In his first innings he took 0/28 off 10, which while not taking a wicket is still good if he was to be used as a stock bowler.

In ODIs, he gets the job of bowling in the middle of the innings and at the death; one time when the batsmen are looking to milk runs, and another where they're looking to explode. I don't think many people would do much better in his position.

Watson is a real talent, and the selectors have recognised him as such through their selection of him. The problem is that with so many incumbent performers in the Aussie side, he can't be utilised properly in the middle order or as a first-change bowler.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
At the end of the day Watson is probably the third best batsmen of his generation currently (Guys under the age of 25) in Australia, only Clarke and Marcus North are in front of him. The fact that he bowls 140km/h is just a bonus. Watson was picked as a Fast Bowling All Rounder not a bowler or batsmen, with this in consideration he probably is the best Fast Bowling All Round option in Australia and therefore deserved his spot.

Sooner or later Australia have to blood some young guys or they are going to find themselves the same situation as the West Indies in the mid 90s, were they had a most exdous of players.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
one question, why exactly do you need watson's bowling abilities when you have kaspa, mcgrath and gillespie in the same side?
You don't. Read my post - I didn't say that. My first point in this discussion was to say that they don't need the two spinners in Warne & MacGill, then if you are deciding between Katich & Watson as an allround option you would probably go with Watso ahead of Katich during the test. If you have read any of my posts over the last month you would know that I don't think Watson along with Clarke should be near the test team. Katich, Love and others should be there ahead of him.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
And TEC, Watson is not a bowler who will get caned in Test matches. In his first innings he took 0/28 off 10, which while not taking a wicket is still good if he was to be used as a stock bowler.

In ODIs, he gets the job of bowling in the middle of the innings and at the death; one time when the batsmen are looking to milk runs, and another where they're looking to explode. I don't think many people would do much better in his position.

Watson is a real talent, and the selectors have recognised him as such through their selection of him. The problem is that with so many incumbent performers in the Aussie side, he can't be utilised properly in the middle order or as a first-change bowler.
well i dont see how someone can get caned in ODIs and yet be accurate in tests. theres still time though and we'll see what he can do in the future. but IMO it doesnt take much to realise that katich is a far better player than watson can even dream off.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
You don't. Read my post - I didn't say that. My first point in this discussion was to say that they don't need the two spinners in Warne & MacGill, then if you are deciding between Katich & Watson as an allround option you would probably go with Watso ahead of Katich during the test. If you have read any of my posts over the last month you would know that I don't think Watson along with Clarke should be near the test team. Katich, Love and others should be there ahead of him.
well obviously watson is a far better bowler than katich. but really katich is a much better batsman than him and overall provides more to australia.. i dont see why australia need an all round option who is decent with ball and bat when they have quality bowlers and quality batsman.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
well obviously watson is a far better bowler than katich. but really katich is a much better batsman than him and overall provides more to australia.. i dont see why australia need an all round option who is decent with ball and bat when they have quality bowlers and quality batsman.
Neither do I.

bryce

International Regular
tooextracool said:
well i dont see how someone can get caned in ODIs and yet be accurate in tests.
i think it might be because in ODI's he does not really take alot of wickets and he tries to do different things than he normally would to try and get a wicket which results in more runs being conceded, whereas is tests he seems to stick to his normal bowling approach