• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Batsmen of their respective teams

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
What's with the support for Graham Thorpe? What about Flintoff? Even Strauss is making more of an impact IMO.
are you out of your mind? thorpes been our most consistent player for a decade now. flintoff despite all his brilliance this year, still averages about 15 runs less than thorpe does in the same year.
strauss making more of an impact than thorpe? strauss is not even close.

Sudeep

International Captain
tooextracool said:
are you out of your mind? thorpes been our most consistent player for a decade now. flintoff despite all his brilliance this year, still averages about 15 runs less than thorpe does in the same year.
I'd agree there. Thorpe is the most consistent, reliable players England has. I mentioned Flintoff in my list just because of his style of play, which I believe is a major reason for the amount of appreciation he gets compared to someone like Thorpe.

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
strauss making more of an impact than thorpe? strauss is not even close.
Surprisingly, for once, I 100% agree with TEC.

twctopcat

International Regular
Sudeep said:
I'd agree there. Thorpe is the most consistent, reliable players England has. I mentioned Flintoff in my list just because of his style of play, which I believe is a major reason for the amount of appreciation he gets compared to someone like Thorpe.
Thorpe has averaged close to 60 since he came back against SA and i he gives me the greatest hope for the ashes next year if he continues in this form. If so he should make it into top 10 pwc and deservedly so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Taibu wouldn't break into another team as a batsman. Full stop.
He's just a little overrated at present. He does very well in an incredibly difficult task, but that does seem to give some people a slightly inflated opinion of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Test-matches:
Australia - Ponting (with Lehmann a very close second)
Bangladesh - Habibul Bashar
England - Thorpe
India - Tendulkar
New Zealand - Fleming
Pakistan - Inzamam-Ul-Haq
South Africa - Smith
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara
West Indies - Lara
Zimbabwe - Vermuelen
ODIs:
Australia - Bevan (with Lehmann a very close second)
Bangladesh - Habibul Bashar
England - Trescothick
India - Ganguly - yes, seriously
Kenya - Tikolo
New Zealand - Astle
Pakistan - Inzamam-Ul-Haq
South Africa - Kallis
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara
West Indies - Gayle
Zimbabwe - Matsikenyeri - yes, seriously (again)

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Tests

England: Thorpe
W Indies: Lara
India: Dravid
Sri Lanka: Sangakkara
Pakistan: Inzamam
Bangladesh: Habibul Bashar
New Zealand: Fleming
Australia: Ponting
South Africa: Kallis
Zimbabwe: Vermeulen

ODIs
England: Trescothick
W Indies: Gayle
India: Tendulkar
Sri Lanka: Jayusuriya
Pakistan: Inzamam
Bangladesh: Habibul Basher
New Zealand: Fleming
Australia: Ponting
South Africa: Smith
Zimbabwe: Taylor

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Tests / ODI's

Australia: Langer / Gilchrist (langer is my pet cricketer, just forget about it, m'kay?)
Bangladesh: Bashar / Bashar
England: Thorpe / Flintoff
India: Sehwag / Tendulkar
New Zealand: Richardson / Fleming
Pakistan: Inzamam / Inzamam
South Africa: Smith / Gibbs
Sri Lanka: Sangakkara / Jayasuriya
West Indies: Lara / Gayle
Zimbabwe: Taibu / Taylor

My choices (apart from Langer) are based on who I think is most influential in the team's results.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
Tests / ODI's

Australia: Langer / Gilchrist (langer is my pet cricketer, just forget about it, m'kay?)
Bangladesh: Bashar / Bashar
England: Thorpe / Flintoff
India: Sehwag / Tendulkar
New Zealand: Richardson / Fleming
Pakistan: Inzamam / Inzamam
South Africa: Smith / Gibbs
Sri Lanka: Sangakkara / Jayasuriya
West Indies: Lara / Gayle
Zimbabwe: Taibu / Taylor

My choices (apart from Langer) are based on who I think is most influential in the team's results.
If you mean his influence on their recent appalling run (5:14, victories:losses in 19 completed authentic games) then yes, I can see your point!
Since WC2003, Gibbs has averaged under 20 against the serious teams (and his one good score against Zimbabwe needed a turned-down blatant caught-behind).
You cannot be serious!
Congratulations, though, on being the only other person to realise the differences between Test and ODI cricket.

Steulen

International Regular
Which proves my point. Gibbs currently sucks, SA currently sucks. He is the most influential player in the team.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad to see a few people nominating Chigumbura!! :D Might be stretching it a bit, but he's certainly having an impact with the bat in recent times.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
flintoff despite all his brilliance this year, still averages about 15 runs less than thorpe does in the same year.
I must admit to being a bit dubious of that, but it is amazingly enough true, which for me says so much about the way Thorpe goes about his game, without you realising it, he's got himself another half century!

Mind you, Flintoff has scored more runs in the same number of knocks :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
Which proves my point. Gibbs currently sucks, SA currently sucks. He is the most influential player in the team.
He's not the only one, though:
Rudolph's last 8 ODIs: 165 runs at 23.57
Van Jaarsveld's last 8 ODIs: 69 runs at 17.25
Smith's last 31 ODIs (excluding Bangladesh games): 977 runs at 32.56, just 7 single-figure scores, but just 8 half-centuries, too
Andre Nel's last 6 ODIs: 3 wickets at 102.66, ER 6.39-an-over
Allan Dawson's last 8 ODIs: 3 wickets at 103.66, ER 5.55-an-over
Makhaya Ntini's last 14 ODIs: 18 wickets at 32.84, 5.44-an-over
Mark Boucher's last 29 ODIs: 350 runs at 19.44
Klusener and Kallis' bowling hasn't been great at all recently, nor has Klusener's batting been quite the devestating force it was 2 or 3 years ago.
One of the few who has improved his ODI performances since WC2003 has been Shaun Pollock (his economy-rate has been 3.64-an-over, compared to his career of 3.74). Jacques Kallis the batsman is almost completely absolved of blame (since WC2003 he's scored 1302 runs at 65.10).
But you can see quite clearly why the team has gone downhill so dramatically. Other obvious reasons are the loss of players such as Kirsten, Rhodes, Elworthy and Donald. Added to the sometimes baffling selections of the like of Albie Morkel, Monde Zondeki, Robin Peterson, Andrew Hall (as principally a bowler), and the decisions to ignore the like of McKenzie, Dippenaar, van Wyk, Langeveldt, Willoughby, Terbrugge and Telemachus. Most baffling of all was bringing in a batsman with a List-A average of 64 and batting him at eight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Casson said:
When are you going to accept that Bevan is finished?
What is it with you and writing-off some of the best players your country has ever seen?
If Bevan is finished he's still the best one-day batsman going around.

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tests/ODIs

England: Vaughan/Flintoff
Pakistan: Inzamam/Malik
Australia: Ponting/Ponting
SA: Kallis/Kallis
WI: Lara/Gayle
SL: Sangakarra/Sangakarra
NZ: Fleming & Oram/Fleming & Oram
Zim: Vermuelen/Taibu
India: Sehwag/Ganguly
Bangers: Habibul/Habibul

Many personal preferences in there including how good they are to watch (although nobody from Zim is very good to watch!). Can't decide between Oram and Fleming, although McCullum and Astle get honourable mentions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't quite yet go so far as to call Malik a better ODI player than Inzamam-Ul-Haq. Good, certainly, and personally I think he'll be one of the top ODI players going around in a few years, but not yet better than Inzamam.