• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia name Chappell-Hadlee Trophy squad

Hoggy31

International Captain
Australian squad:
Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting (capt), Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann, Simon Katich, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson, Brad Hogg, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Michael Kasprowicz, Glenn McGrath.

Interesting to see no Ian Harvey, and Simon Katich in the squad ahead of Michael Hussey who i think is a better OD player then Katich

Deja moo

International Captain
Slightly OT , but whom was the Test trophy for the series between Australia and New Zealand named after ?

Hoggy31

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Slightly OT , but whom was the Test trophy for the series between Australia and New Zealand named after ?
The test series is called The Trans-Tasman Trophy

Deja moo

International Captain
Seems a bit odd to name the One Day cup after two legends . Should have named the test trophy after them.

shaka

International Regular
Bevan was not really a possibility, but am unsure whether he is in retirement from internationals or has been forced into retirement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
Seems a bit odd to name the One Day cup after two legends . Should have named the test trophy after them.
Well the last time they played a one-day series was 1999\2000 - and I guess The Trans-Tasman Trophy has become engrained, and since 1999\2000 they wanted another Trophy.
Makes sense to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
Bevan was not really a possibility, but am unsure whether he is in retirement from internationals or has been forced into retirement.
Forced into exile, maybe - but not forced into retirement. AFAIK he's certainly not retired from ODIs.

Dydl

International Debutant
Another issue is who will be left out. It is a 14 man squad, 3 of them will be left out. Who do you think those players will be?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dydl said:
Another issue is who will be left out. It is a 14 man squad, 3 of them will be left out. Who do you think those players will be?

They will either go with their strongest possible side and play Gillespie, McGrath, Kasprowicz and Lee, meaning Hogg, Watson and Katich will be left out, then hope they win and the can rest a few.

Or they will rest in the first match, probably Gillespie & Kasprowicz, meaning Watson & Hogg will play and Katich will join Dizzy & Kaspa on the bench.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well our strongest team is

gilchrist +
hayden
ponting
martyn
lehmann
symonds
clarke
hogg
kasprowicz
gillespie
mcgrath

which means lee, watson and katich miss out, but im sure they will all get a game at some stage, we may decide 4 quicks, with hogg missing out, or symonds or clarke rest for watson, and one of the batsman has a rest for kato to play...

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
well our strongest team is

gilchrist +
hayden
ponting
martyn
lehmann
symonds
clarke
hogg
kasprowicz
gillespie
mcgrath

which means lee, watson and katich miss out, but im sure they will all get a game at some stage, we may decide 4 quicks, with hogg missing out, or symonds or clarke rest for watson, and one of the batsman has a rest for kato to play...

I dispute Hogg playing in the strongest side. Surely 10 overs of spin can be covered by Symonds, Lehmann & Clarke. Symonds alone is better spinner than Hogg.

Simon

Linda said:
So it finally looks as if Harvey is gone for good. Good riddance.
harvey has been injured and is only making his comeback this week i think....

Mister Wright

Linda said:
So it finally looks as if Harvey is gone for good. Good riddance.
Yes, thank God! That guy got a free run for years (ala Brett Lee in the test team). Watson is in amazing form and Lee is a better batsman than Harvey (down the order in one dayers) anyway.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
I dispute Hogg playing in the strongest side. Surely 10 overs of spin can be covered by Symonds, Lehmann & Clarke. Symonds alone is better spinner than Hogg.
every time hes played for australia in one day cricket hes done fairly well, i dont think theres any doubt hes our number 1 spinner for one day cricket at this stage...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
broncoman said:
every time hes played for australia in one day cricket hes done fairly well
Hmm, yes, except for that time Sri Lanka smashed him for 75 off 9 overs, yes...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
But he'll not play again.
Looks that way, sadly.
Still, it'd be fun if New Zealand, West Indies and Pakistan beat them and they had to reconsider.