• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne

Tom Halsey

International Coach
C_C said:
a) Murali played atleast 50% of his tests against IND in the 90s too.....
b) But no excuses....until you perform against the best, you aint the best!
a) What exactly has that got to do with it?

b) He's perfomred against the best plenty of times.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
C_C said:
Murali played atleast 50% of his tests against IND in the 90s too.....
and warne has gotten smashed every single time against IND.......even in the last series, with IND batting struggling and the AUS bowlers dominating, Warne went for over 30 runs per wicket and didnt get 4 wicket/match ratio.....
atleast Murali has had ONE good series against IND.......
Warne's problem with IND is that he has been mentally disintegrated by the likes of Sidhu,Azhar and Sachin.....much like how Cullinan was disintegrated mentally against Warne......
But no excuses....until you perform against the best, you aint the best!
how is taking wickets at just over 30 getting smashed???? And why do you thing the Indian bats were struggling? The good Aussie bowling perhaps, Warne keeping it tight at one end?

C_C

International Captain
If a bowling average of 30 while you have an alltime great bowling crew around you is not getting smashed, particularly in a low-scoring series for the opposition, then what is ? you sport a 30+ bowling average when 2 other bowlers sport their average in teens/early 20s.......thats getting smashed....and this is his BEST series against IND.....he has been thoroughly smashed by IND every single series before as well......

Warne has performed against the best players of spin in test cricket ? when ?
where ?

he's a great player.....but more is made outta him that it should......murali is better.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
C_C said:
If a bowling average of 30 while you have an alltime great bowling crew around you is not getting smashed, particularly in a low-scoring series for the opposition, then what is ? you sport a 30+ bowling average when 2 other bowlers sport their average in teens/early 20s.......thats getting smashed....and this is his BEST series against IND.....he has been thoroughly smashed by IND every single series before as well......

Warne has performed against the best players of spin in test cricket ? when ?
where ?

he's a great player.....but more is made outta him that it should......murali is better.
you need help!! an average of 30 is largely acceptable in any case. his career average is like 25 and this is only 5 runs more! an average of 30 is like taking a wicket every 10overs and going at 3 an over. How is that getting smashed? Getting smashed is like 40 or more. The LARGE majority of people would not call an average of 30 bad.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
Murali has a lot more wickets than Warne against the Zimboks and the bangles..
Warne has a lot more wickets against the english and the saffies- two teams who are perhaps a SHADE better than the bangles at playing spin.
Oh by the way- the benchmark of measuing the greats is against the best of the best.
The best players of spin-bar none- on this planet are the indians......and warne has bowled like a grade 9 schoolboy against the indians.....murali hasnt exactly dazzled either, but his hauls are MUCH MUCH better than Warne.....

Warne also has a very very mediocre record against the other great spin-playing side of his time- the west indies. ( lara, chanderpaul,hooper,sarwan are all excellent players of spin). Murali by contrast has positively shined against the Windies....
Warne is a bit overrated......he fails to come though against the best of the best.

Oh and Camel- you might realise that you are either misinformed or lying outta your ****- the OVERWHELMING concensus amongst people that KNOW about bowling mechanics ( take the word of a scientist any day of the week over an ex-great who knows very little about flexion, tolerance limits and torque-induced flexion) will tell you that if murali is a chucker, so is warne.
Murali is a better spinner than Warne- no two ways about it.
The day Warne comes to party against the best of the best, then we can talk. scalping english batsmen who's proficiency of playing spin is on par with club-cricketers from india and WI might give you a good record, but if anyone actually WATCHES test cricket, they'll know that there aint much that sepereates the likes of Michael Vaughan from Habibul Bashar or Tatenda taibu when it comes to playing wrist spin.
I don't think Warne was part of the testing, so it could be argued he is in the 1% until it's proven otherwise. Note: It was one percent, not one person.....(eg: Sarwan).

Is Warne's record against W.I really that bad? I seem to recall him playing quite well against them on numerous occasions.

biased indian

International Coach
Nnanden said:
you need help!! an average of 30 is largely acceptable in any case. his career average is like 25 and this is only 5 runs more! an average of 30 is like taking a wicket every 10overs and going at 3 an over. How is that getting smashed? Getting smashed is like 40 or more. The LARGE majority of people would not call an average of 30 bad.
but when u r saying some thing about the best spinner(??) in the world u should except some thing more better.!!! than 30 .if that is what the bench mark is then other spinners will get away with an Avg of 35 -40

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Overall - and that's for fingerspinners, and fingerspinners who don't play at home in the subcontinent at that.
If I understand correctly this was actually with reference to a single series, not a career.
Even the fingerspinners of today still have series in which they average under 30.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Overall - and that's for fingerspinners, and fingerspinners who don't play at home in the subcontinent at that.
If I understand correctly this was actually with reference to a single series, not a career.
Even the fingerspinners of today still have series in which they average under 30.
what was his average in SL? I think, unfortunately for Warney, it would have improved a great deal in India if he'd been bowling in that last match.........but dealing in 'ifs' is largely pointless i know - although if you can have your 'first chance average' Richard :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is, there's no "if"s at all about first-chance averages.
Oh, and yes, it was a great shame Warne missed that final game - hopefully he might have gone even further to dispelling his Indian ghost were he to have done so... oh, and Australia would probably have won the game, too...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For reasons of clarity: it stands for Off Topic.
But it's not such a cardinal sin as some sometimes make-out. Corey, however, has no wish to see it and personally I consider that's fair enough.

Camel56

Banned
well murali hasnt performed against the best. Sure he has taken a lot of wickets against the best at home on pitches that were doctored for him but how is his record away from home? What is it in australia? thats right, no good. Until he performs against the best then he aint the best.

Camel56

Banned
C_C said:
mate we've been through this before. Yes, Murali is a better thrower than Warne, no doubt about it. When it comes to bowling however, warne is all over him like a rash. If i throw the ball i can get that much spin out of my fingers too.

C_C

International Captain
like i said, Warne is just as much of a thrower as Murali.
The ICC report outlined that over 99% of bowlers are throwers and the only international player who 'bowls' and isnt a thrower is Sarwan.

And regarding playing spin, i am sorry, AUS is a much better team than IND but they arnt in the same ballpark when it comes to playing spin.
And Murali has done far more against the best players of spin than Warne.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Camel56 said:
mate we've been through this before. Yes, Murali is a better thrower than Warne, no doubt about it. When it comes to bowling however, warne is all over him like a rash. If i throw the ball i can get that much spin out of my fingers too.
Surely even you can see that Murali isn't a fingerspinner, he's as much a wristspinner as Warne.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
like i said, Warne is just as much of a thrower as Murali.
The ICC report outlined that over 99% of bowlers are throwers and the only international player who 'bowls' and isnt a thrower is Sarwan.
Doesn't look like there's much point - this one has decided that he can't possibly be wrong, neither can all those who trust their eyes ahead of the more reliable instruments - and there's not much we can do to force sense in front of his eyes.