• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WC 2003 Who will have the last say ? Bowlers or Batsmen?

Radical

Cricket Spectator
Thinking in relative terms, the African pitches and the weather is nowhere near what we saw in 99, wherein the conditions were so conducive to swing that even the bowlers themselves struggled early on in the tournament. Conditions in South Africa will definitely be different.

anzac

International Debutant
i don't know the grounds but my guess is that they will be similar in style to Australian conditions - hard & fast with bounce.

This should make for good conditions for bowling so long as they give us 3rd day pitches and not 4th day.

Batsmen should enjoy this with the ball coming on to the bat at good pace and height.

I think the deciding factor will be the way the bowler can exploit the 1 bouncer rule if it hasn't been changed. This stops the batsman from attacking the bowling with impunity, so long as it is not used in the first 3 deliveries - keeps 'em guessing. (Personally I like the rule - batsmen have had it good for so long regarding leg bye's etc in the ODI).

The runs will still be there to be made but the batsmen will need to be patient and not just throw the willow at the leather - something a lot of people seem to have forgotten how to do - they should all take lessons from the Michael Bevan school of ODI batting on how to put together an ODI innings. Bevan must have learned from the master - Dean Jones!!!!!

I am hoping for equal conditions to give us a contest of skill and wits - which would be nice for a change.

At the moment I am loath to say who would come out on top - I think the Sept Tourney will give us an indication how teams & players are adapting to the rule.

One thing I can say is that with the rule scores have been lower than in recent times - maybe this is the victory for the bowlers as opposed to brilliant figures !!!!

Radical

Cricket Spectator
Yeah i totally agree, the 'no bouncer' rule was killing the bowlers and killing half the fun of the game.I think we have already seen how the bowlers are enjoying the liberty of getting it to the batsmen.
Now specially with quick men and powerful batting lineups i guess if the conditions are even it will be an exhilarating tournament.

anzac

International Debutant
i've just realised where the comp is - Sri Lanka !!!!

low, slow spinners paradise taylor made for Muri !!!!

now ask me again who will come out on top - the spinners and sub continent batsmen used to these tracks & have a good tour record in Sri Lanka !!!!

:(

anzac

International Debutant
jeeeeezzzzz!!!!

I must be getting tired & upset.

Just to clear up my previous post I was still reacting to the location for the upcoming ICC Tourney - not the WC2003

sorry y'all

:P