• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is the best hitter??????

Eclipse

International Debutant
muscle power has much much more to do with muscle fiber type ie fast twitch than it does with actual muscle size..

big guys are normaly stronger but deffinatly not always.. look at somone like Brett Lee he is packed with fast twitch muscle fibers and it's no coincedence he bowls fast and hits extreamly hard yet he is quite short and lean..

Last edited:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
cricket player said:
being tall and being strong or should i say muscler is a big advantage if you are a cricketer'for example jacob oram chris cairns' inzimam_ul_haq" if you take a look at there statics you will see that they have a good strik rate them most shorter player's" being tall make's you make run's quicker" or being muscler" i am 5'9 135 pounds and 15 year's old' but the time i reach my adult hood believe me i will be a giant' And that would certinly help me bounce the bowl more just like shabbir ahmad he use his tall ness to porvection' :p
you certainly do have a well set out plan for life dont you My Cricket Player.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
????
how much speed you've generated *IS* the acceleration.
Speed generated is acceleration multiplied by the time, a slower acceleration means you take a bit longer to hit someone so acceleration is not directly proportional to speed.

speed = (2 * a)^0.5 (ie the square root of 2a)

C_C said:
Assuming complete force transfer ( ie, perfect hitting technique from both) and that they are hitting the same person,
Force from guy A = 50x Newtons
Force from guy B = 25 * 2x = 50x Newtons
ie, same force......
if you increase the acceleration by double and decrease the mass by half, its the same force....
It's the same force involved in moving the arm, but the force acts over a longer time for B because their acceleration is slower and so they take longer to hit someone a metre away.

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eclipse said:
muscle power has much much more to do with muscle fiber type ie fast twitch than it does with actual muscle size..

big guys are normaly stronger but deffinatly not always.. look at somone like Brett Lee he is packed with fast twitch muscle fibers and it's no coincedence he bowls fast and hits extreamly hard yet he is quite short and lean..
Thats absoulutely correct, fast twitch muscle fibers are the most important for a fast bowler, all things being equal. Brett Lee is a perfect example, so is Agarkar, Mohammed Sami.

C_C

International Captain
Speed generated is acceleration multiplied by the time, a slower acceleration means you take a bit longer to hit someone so acceleration is not directly proportional to speed.

speed = (2 * a)^0.5 (ie the square root of 2a)
the intensity of the hit is dependent on the force generated. As such, speed is irrelevant. What matters is the acceleration and mass.
A slower hit from a bulkier mass will punch the same power as a faster hit with a smaller mass ( assuming they are both proportional).

It's the same force involved in moving the arm, but the force acts over a longer time for B because their acceleration is slower and so they take longer to hit someone a metre away.
again, irrelevant.
you may take longer to hit someone with a smaller acceleration, but if the mass is smaller, the same force is generated.
And the transfer of force depends on the nature of the impact surface. ie, if the surface is sturdy, deceleration is a lot faster than if the surface is soft.
And assuming you and i hit the same surface with our fists, we will have near-identical deceleration, the difference being insignificant, as our first are near-identical in density.

speed is not a factor in force. acceleration and mass are.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So speed is irrelevant - that's good to know that you can hit by a 10 ton lorry and if it's doing 0.0001mph or 60mph it won't make any difference to the force you experience.

In F=ma on the victim of the punch, the deceleration depends on how much speed you've produced - we'll assume the time of impact is the same for different speeds (I've no idea whether it is or not, but it's simpler to assume here that it is) so if something decelerates from 10m/s to 0m/s in 0.1 seconds it's gonna be somewhat more forceful than the same mass decelerating from 7m/s to 0m/s in 0.1 seconds.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
the intensity of the hit is dependent on the force generated. As such, speed is irrelevant. What matters is the acceleration and mass.
A slower hit from a bulkier mass will punch the same power as a faster hit with a smaller mass ( assuming they are both proportional).

again, irrelevant.
you may take longer to hit someone with a smaller acceleration, but if the mass is smaller, the same force is generated.
And the transfer of force depends on the nature of the impact surface. ie, if the surface is sturdy, deceleration is a lot faster than if the surface is soft.
And assuming you and i hit the same surface with our fists, we will have near-identical deceleration, the difference being insignificant, as our first are near-identical in density.

speed is not a factor in force. acceleration and mass are.
kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the VELOCITY..hence a doubling of the speed will result in the quadrupling of the energy.However long it takes for the punch to accelerate to it speed at impact is irrelevant...pretty basic physics that.