• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is the best hitter??????

bryce

International Regular
man players look big on t.v, i'm 6'4 so i could look flintoff eye to eye and that would be strange.

razzaq is a very good hitter but i'm not too sure if he's proved himself as a quality hitter against good attacks, i tell you symonds wasn't half bad before he actually realised he could build innings at ODI level where previously he was an out and out slogger basically, once chris cairns is settled he can slog against any attack in the world and i hear that fella botham wasn't half bad either.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Beleg said:
Razzaq is perhaps the best slaughterer of quickies I have ever watched. On second thoughts though, Jayasuria in his prime was better.
yep Jaya aint that good qgainst the quicks now days though..

I agree about Razzaq.. I would say he is better against pace than spin.

twctopcat

International Regular
cricket player said:
how old are you? you sound puddy tough" you must be older " by the time i will be 18 i would get puddy tall" as i am 16 and 5'9 not bad if you look at my age' being tall will help you be a good bowler' i am a good batsmant and also a good bowler i use my hight to perfection' i bounce the ball in my every delievery'
Im almost 21. I'm not small by any means but i can't seem to get a lot of speed when bowling, my arm actions is just too damn slow. I just try and keep it tight and bounce it.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
I wish people would stop coming out with the patently untrue "size doesn't matter" crap. Naseem Hamed would get annihilated by someone more than a stone heavier with the same conditioning. As for the comment earlier that Afridi is stronger than Flintoff what's that based on exactly?
That may be true over 12 rounds in a ring with gloves etc but on the street thats bull. He's still gonna be hitting with the force of at least 3 tonnes and it doesn't matter how big you are, taking that on the chin is gonna shake you r brain around and put you down.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
That may be true over 12 rounds in a ring with gloves etc but on the street thats bull. He's still gonna be hitting with the force of at least 3 tonnes and it doesn't matter how big you are, taking that on the chin is gonna shake you r brain around and put you down.
Of course, so whenever a short-arsed 8-9 stone guy hits you it's gonna be a knockout/knockdown blow... you watch too many films.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Of course, so whenever a short-arsed 8-9 stone guy hits you it's gonna be a knockout/knockdown blow... you watch too many films.
U keep telling yourself that mate, but then again my fav film star is jean claude van damme. Transfer of weight is whats important. And did i say any 9stone man?? Somehow naseem hamed isn't any 9 stone man.

C_C

International Captain
forget men who weigh 120 pounds.......
a chick weighing 90 pounds can bring you like a bag of bricks if she knows where to hit.....
fighting is not about strength and strength is not about pure size of your muscles.
If it were so, then in the gym you would see bigger the bicep, bigger the weight being lifted.......which is hardly the case.....
some ripped guys bench-press 200 pounds and some skinny guys benchpress 220...

Scaly piscine

I think you're living in a parallel universe... in this one bigger guys generally hit harder, bigger muscles generally means stronger person. I can't wait to see the World's Strongest Man contest where the 5' 6" 10 stone guy wins...

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
I think you're living in a parallel universe... in this one bigger guys generally hit harder, bigger muscles generally means stronger person. I can't wait to see the World's Strongest Man contest where the 5' 6" 10 stone guy wins...
Because's world's strongest man=world's hardest man does it?? Bigger muscles def does not translate into more strength. Drugs like creatine merely inflate muscles with water etc not necessarily making them bigger but not all muscle. Sure the world's strongest man will probably never be 10stone but then again if you know how to fight you can make do with whatever you've got to a certain extent. The world's strongest men would be very slow, and not very flexible so much so that a much smaller person could own them in a fight.

Scaly piscine

twctopcat said:
Because's world's strongest man=world's hardest man does it??
When did I ever say that? I was replying to the waffle about skinny guys bench pressing more than muscle-bound hulks as if it were the norm.

twctopcat said:
Bigger muscles def does not translate into more strength. Drugs like creatine merely inflate muscles with water etc not necessarily making them bigger but not all muscle.
I was just saying generally that bigger muscles equate to bigger strength, saving the need to point out each individual exception to the rule.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
When did I ever say that? I was replying to the waffle about skinny guys bench pressing more than muscle-bound hulks as if it were the norm.
I was just saying generally that bigger muscles equate to bigger strength, saving the need to point out each individual exception to the rule.
Fair enough, i suppose in general size equals strength. I just thought you were commenting on fighting ability etc, my bad.

Scaly piscine

It's the insinuation that one big punch (irregardless of the size of the fighters) ending each streetfight that gets me - every fight I've seen was just people madly throwing punches at each other and usually it's punches to the nose/eyes area that ends it, none of this Roadhouse type precision kick to the knee or groin - is too frantic for that stuff.

Anyway Flintoff is still the best hitter, most of his 6s are genuine shots not slogs like Afridi, I think if he really went to slog the ball he'd easily outhit Afridi - I guess we'll see a bit of this when the Twenty20 internationals happen.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
It's the insinuation that one big punch (irregardless of the size of the fighters) ending each streetfight that gets me - every fight I've seen was just people madly throwing punches at each other and usually it's punches to the nose/eyes area that ends it, none of this Roadhouse type precision kick to the knee or groin - is too frantic for that stuff.
Drunk fighting is a whole different ball game. Chin punches are what finishes you, eyes/noses/cheeks can take a lot.

C_C

International Captain
i am talking street fights between street fighters......not your average high school/punk brawl.
I lived in an area where drug peddlers and prostitutes climbed outta the woodwork late in the night.......
atleast 2 cop car in patrol over a 20 block radius throughout the night......usually all they find is some dude bloody and/or passed out on the pavement......coz street fights dont last more than 30 seconds.
Its BLAM to your stomach, BLAM to your chin and BLAM to your crotch....fight over.

And in GENERAL, bigger muscles = more power but there are way too many oddball cases for this to be held as a norm.
i used to be a regular gym goer ( still intend to after this semester) and usually the ones who lift the most are not the beefy ones but the lean ones......
strength is not just simple muscle mass that produces more force at flexion.
A HUGE part of strength is the optimal transfer of that force from your muscles to the object......as such, technique is an integral component of strength.

Besides, you are forgetting that Force = mass * acceleration. And its harder to accelerate a heavier mass than a lighter mass.
In other words, a guy the size of Jean Claude Van Damme can produce just as forceful a punch as Arnie....... coz while arne has more muscle mass, Van Damme has more acceleration.....so whatever you lose due to muscle mass can be compensated for by acceleration.
Not everyone can accelerate as fast,because not everyone has the same amount of fast-twitch muscle tissues.
Which is why a punch from Bruce Lee will probably sting just as much as one from Mike Tyson.
Now if we all had the same amount of fast-twitch muscle tissue(the ones that are responsible for explosive speed), then yes, it would be a simple case of more muscle = more power.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

C_C said:
Besides, you are forgetting that Force = mass * acceleration. And its harder to accelerate a heavier mass than a lighter mass.
In other words, a guy the size of Jean Claude Van Damme can produce just as forceful a punch as Arnie....... coz while arne has more muscle mass, Van Damme has more acceleration.....so whatever you lose due to muscle mass can be compensated for by acceleration.
it's the deceleration*mass when it hits the victim that's the force of the punch - so it's about how much speed you've generated by the time you've made contact and a bit of 'timing' (decreases the impact time, so therefore the deceleration is quicker and the force is bigger but for a shorter time). Giving an example of how acceleration of the punch isn't everything - guy A accelerates their arm at 50m/s by the time it hits someone a metre away (0.2 seconds) their arm is traveling at 10m/s. Guy B accelerates their arm at 25m/s by the time it hits someone a metre away (just over 0.28 seconds) their arm is traveling at a shade over 7m/s. Guy A weighs half of Guy B, so the forces are the same, but Guy B over 40% harder.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Flintoff is at the very least 6ft 4 - Harmo at least 6ft 6, but there's a maximum of two inches between them. Having seen them walking side by side ten feet away from me, it's much easier to tell.

Some players are surprisingly big/small when you actually meet them - Rob Key is at least four inches taller than I thought, and Marcus Trescothick, although he carries a few extra pounds, has absolutely gigantic arms. Michael Vaughan's as thin as a rake.

If Jacques Kallis were three inches taller he'd be really frightening - his arms are the size of my legs, and I'm 6ft and 12st 8lbs.

Graham Thorpe, on the other hand, is a bit of a midget - it's a bit weird meeting your idols when you tower over them!

C_C

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
it's the deceleration*mass when it hits the victim that's the force of the punch - so it's about how much speed you've generated by the time you've made contact and a bit of 'timing' (decreases the impact time, so therefore the deceleration is quicker and the force is bigger but for a shorter time). Giving an example of how acceleration of the punch isn't everything - guy A accelerates their arm at 50m/s by the time it hits someone a metre away (0.2 seconds) their arm is traveling at 10m/s. Guy B accelerates their arm at 25m/s by the time it hits someone a metre away (just over 0.28 seconds) their arm is traveling at a shade over 7m/s. Guy A weighs half of Guy B, so the forces are the same, but Guy B over 40% harder.

????
how much speed you've generated *IS* the acceleration.
Deceleration is irrelevant here, for deceleration depends on how well the surface absorbs the shock.....a sturdy surface = sudden deceleration, a soft surface = longer deceleration.....so unless you are hitting a guy that looks like fat b*stard from ausin powers, your deceleration is pretty much the same as Mr X.
And if you two are punching the same dude, your deceleration is the same ( unless you or the other dude has really realy fat knuckes).

and how is guy B hitting harder ?
you said guy A is half the weight of guy B......so if guy A = x kg, guy B = 2x kg.
acceleration of guy A = 50 m/s^2
acceleration of guy B = 25 m/s^2

Assuming complete force transfer ( ie, perfect hitting technique from both) and that they are hitting the same person,
Force from guy A = 50x Newtons
Force from guy B = 25 * 2x = 50x Newtons
ie, same force......
if you increase the acceleration by double and decrease the mass by half, its the same force....

Camel56

Banned
Barney - you're absolutely right there. Tony Greig is another example of a player who is a lot bigger than you think. He is an absolute giant of a man.

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Daniel Vettori is pretty tall too. In fact I think the Black Caps could boast one of the tallest bowling attacks going around with all their mainstays fit. Oram, Bond, Tuffey, Vettori, Butler = all around or above 6"3 i think. Mills is a tall man also.

cricket player

International Debutant
nzidol said:
Daniel Vettori is pretty tall too. In fact I think the Black Caps could boast one of the tallest bowling attacks going around with all their mainstays fit. Oram, Bond, Tuffey, Vettori, Butler = all around or above 6"3 i think. Mills is a tall man also.
being tall and being strong or should i say muscler is a big advantage if you are a cricketer'for example jacob oram chris cairns' inzimam_ul_haq" if you take a look at there statics you will see that they have a good strik rate them most shorter player's" being tall make's you make run's quicker" or being muscler" i am 5'9 135 pounds and 15 year's old' but the time i reach my adult hood believe me i will be a giant' And that would certinly help me bounce the bowl more just like shabbir ahmad he use his tall ness to porvection' :p