• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anybody finds this astonishing.....

Bouncer

State Regular
Sachin Tendulkar has had 16 scores of less than 10 in 25 innings that he played in last two Yrs.......

I hate to jump to conclusion that he is going anyway near end of his career simply coz as Cricket Fan there is no way u would wanna write a Glorious player off...but 16 out of 25...thats astonishing....I hope (i really wish)he gets back to form by next Feb.

I'm not surprised, sachin has been very dissapointing lately in both format of the game.however i don't think it will be easy for selectorss to DROP sachin from tthe team on tthe bassis of his poor form, as he's such a gigantic figure of Indian cricket.

I think Sachin will bounce back, will score some runs but i don't think he will be anywhere like the young Sachin we had once seen in action!

Swervy

International Captain
well its a statistic I have mentioned before..Sachin has done jack **** in tests apart from that 3 innings spell where he got big runs vs Australia and Pakistan.

I cant help thinking sachin is being selected based on past glories as opposed to his ability to score runs...9 double figure scores in 25 innings is not acceptable at test level

Eclipse

International Debutant
he still has to be picked.. he is a great player and you allways give them the benifit of the doubt..

He is no longer world xi stuff but he is still the best batsman of the last decade if you ask me..

Swervy

International Captain
Eclipse said:
he still has to be picked.. he is a great player and you allways give them the benifit of the doubt..

He is no longer world xi stuff but he is still the best batsman of the last decade if you ask me..
I think a player, whoever he is , has to justify selection.What relevance has what Tendulkar did 10 yaers ago got to the Indian team now,apart from when he gets out cheaply,the opposition bowlers are on a real high

Swervy

International Captain
vandemataram said:
how long do you guys think Sachin can\should continue? I think Sachin has atmost 3-4 years in him.
well another 4 years of performances like he has produced in the last 2 years would constitute a huge waste of time by the Indians, when they could have brought in a younger player to develop at test level for the future.

If the Indian selectors were on the right lines I think they could give him another series to produce the goods, if he didnt produce then, i think they should be looking elsewhere for some runs

Sudeep

International Captain
Swervy said:
well another 4 years of performances like he has produced in the last 2 years would constitute a huge waste of time by the Indians, when they could have brought in a younger player to develop at test level for the future.

If the Indian selectors were on the right lines I think they could give him another series to produce the goods, if he didnt produce then, i think they should be looking elsewhere for some runs
Those last two years also consisted of WC 2003. Fine, ODI and Tests are different. But you cannot ignore the amazing performances he's put in between the sloppy run, which suggests it's only a temporary thing.

masterblaster

International Captain
Sudeep said:
Those last two years also consisted of WC 2003. Fine, ODI and Tests are different. But you cannot ignore the amazing performances he's put in between the sloppy run, which suggests it's only a temporary thing.
Agreed. Tendulkar's too good a player to keep this going. Are we forgetting he just recently broke the record of Garry Sobers of getting the most runs without being dismissed.

241*, 63* odd (cant remember exactly) and 194*

Even in a form slump, thats impressive

Bouncer

State Regular
Guys, I think may be it is in Sachin's best interest to be given a Break from International cricket......Its not that he has weeknesses...i think he has just played too much of cricket.....and also seems too defensive in beginging of innings...or thats jus me who has felt this..... well any way a 6-8 months a break will do him great.....wasnt Brian Lara took a break Before the SL tour andthen he came back with 700 runs in 3 games.....or else Sachin has to chose between Test or ODi atleast for a short Period of time.....

Swervy

International Captain
Sudeep said:
but how long can the selectors persist with him...what if in the next 25 innings he produces similar form..is it still a temporary slip in form. Somewhere along the line he has to show that it is a temporary thing. India could keep going with Tendulkar just hoping that the next innings will be the one for ages, and that could really harm the team for years to come.

of course he could get a double ton in the next game..but what if he then scores nothing for the next 10 innings.His past performances and reputation mean that the opposition still think Tendulkar is big big wicket to take,and so really go for the kill against him.These days he rarely responds in a way that a great should do, ie battle through the early parts of the innings,coz he normally gets out.

somewhere along the line, the Indians will have to let him go

Swervy

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Agreed. Tendulkar's too good a player to keep this going. Are we forgetting he just recently broke the record of Garry Sobers of getting the most runs without being dismissed.

241*, 63* odd (cant remember exactly) and 194*

Even in a form slump, thats impressive
yeah its a great run..but could it be that those 3 innings have papered over the cracks

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
I cant believe some of u people are thinking about dropping Sachin,I mean sure he needs a break...but if u r going to drop Sachin on the basis of form,then before him many Indian players need to be dropped,I wont take names here..might cause another row of arguments which for the moment I've had enough of...

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
If Hayden had a similar run of form in next two years, ie only got into double figures 36% of the time, do you think Australia would keep persisting with him, based on the possibilty that he might produce in the next innings or whatever.....would they hell

darren lehmann's place in the team has been talked about..should he be there etc..this after a spell of 20 innings where he has scored 4 hundreds and 6 50's

If India want to become a test team of any note, they have to start thinking more along the lines of how the Australians think, where a players position is up for grabs, no matter who they are,if the player isnt performing to a high enough standard to meet the expectations of the team

Swervy

International Captain
nikhil1772 said:
I cant believe some of u people are thinking about dropping Sachin,I mean sure he needs a break...but if u r going to drop Sachin on the basis of form,then before him many Indian players need to be dropped,I wont take names here..might cause another row of arguements which for the moment I've had enough of...
you are basing this on a love of the Tendulkar who scored runs by the bucketful years ago...the selectors, if they want India to become a cricketing power,have to look at this objectively.

I am not saying drop Tendulkar now, but there has to be a time soon, when if he doesnt score consistant runs, someone else has to be looked at. The worst thing that could happen is Tendulkar gets a rest, and India will have blooded a new young player (or even given someone who has had intermitent opportunity in the side)...if it goes wrong..bring Tendulkar back.

I dont think anyone wants to see a player like Tendulkar clinging on to past glories,and embarressing himself on the test arena.india have to pick the team that can score the runs..sachin cannot do that at the moment

Sudeep

International Captain
Swervy said:
but how long can the selectors persist with him...what if in the next 25 innings he produces similar form..is it still a temporary slip in form. Somewhere along the line he has to show that it is a temporary thing. India could keep going with Tendulkar just hoping that the next innings will be the one for ages, and that could really harm the team for years to come.

of course he could get a double ton in the next game..but what if he then scores nothing for the next 10 innings.His past performances and reputation mean that the opposition still think Tendulkar is big big wicket to take,and so really go for the kill against him.These days he rarely responds in a way that a great should do, ie battle through the early parts of the innings,coz he normally gets out.

somewhere along the line, the Indians will have to let him go
Out of curiosity, how long you think India should persist with Ganguly, given his mediocre form?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Form is temporary, class is permanent. It was silly for people to ask for Lara's head when he was going a bad patch. When Sehwag was going through a lean period of just a few innings recently, people asked for his head as well. The best example here is Marvan Atapattu who struggled early on but still was persisted with.

Now people saying Tendulkar has to 'justify' selection. True every one has to. Sachin justifies selection by being the most consistent run scorer in world cricket in the first so many years of his career.

He is not God. Every one goes through a slump. It is practically the first time Tendulkar has gone through such a slump. And it does not mean any thing when you compare the inconsistent performances by Ganguly and Laxman in the side.

When I see Laxman throw his wicket away or Ganguly drive a ball outside off stump and get out in a silly manner, they deserve being dropped for playing irresponsible.

Tendulkar is not gulilty of throwing his wicket and is too good to maitain form slump.

Expect this thread to look really silly in a while. Tendulkar has some years left in him and will go when he knows best. No one else can decide as best as he can regarding this.

Its time we leave the great man alone and let him solve the problem himself.

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Form is temporary, class is permanent. It was silly for people to ask for Lara's head when he was going a bad patch. When Sehwag was going through a lean period of just a few innings recently, people asked for his head as well. The best example here is Marvan Atapattu who struggled early on but still was persisted with.

Now people saying Tendulkar has to 'justify' selection. True every one has to. Sachin justifies selection by being the most consistent run scorer in world cricket in the first so many years of his career.

He is not God. Every one goes through a slump. It is practically the first time Tendulkar has gone through such a slump. And it does not mean any thing when you compare the inconsistent performances by Ganguly and Laxman in the side.

When I see Laxman throw his wicket away or Ganguly drive a ball outside off stump and get out in a silly manner, they deserve being dropped for playing irresponsible.

Tendulkar is not gulilty of throwing his wicket and is too good to maitain form slump.

Expect this thread to look really silly in a while. Tendulkar has some years left in him and will go when he knows best. No one else can decide as best as he can regarding this.

Its time we leave the great man alone and let him solve the problem himself.
The bolded part is the only one that I disagree with in the entire post. :D