• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anybody finds this astonishing.....

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Swervy said:
...a great batting team wouldnt struggle to even reach 150 vs NZ (dont talk about crap wickets, great talent will overcome adversity vs an average bowling line up).
Well recently a supposedly 'great' batting lineup failed to reach a 100 on a wicket in Mumbai -- as you so eloquently put it, don't talk about crap wickets -- great talent will overcome adversity. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
EnglishRose said:
Well recently a supposedly 'great' batting lineup failed to reach a 100 on a wicket in Mumbai -- as you so eloquently put it, don't talk about crap wickets -- great talent will overcome adversity. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:D Good one..but I guess only spinning tracks are considered bad not the wonderbras

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
i would like to hear your reasoning as why not outs should not be counted towards this 'calculation'.
because i was talking about the contribution to each innings, which is different to the batsmans average

Swervy

International Captain
EnglishRose said:
indeed, but that wasnt over an entire series was it, that was one innings in a dead series..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nikhil1772 said:
I cant believe some of u people are thinking about dropping Sachin,I mean sure he needs a break...but if u r going to drop Sachin on the basis of form,then before him many Indian players need to be dropped,I wont take names here..might cause another row of arguments which for the moment I've had enough of...
Are there any other batsmen in the Indian team who've played poorly consistently for that length of time then?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Even in his 'slump', he has what is considered a very good average ( typically defined as 40+) and is more consistent than Waugh or Taylor during their rough times......

That depends on the definition of consistency.

So many single figure scores in such a time is not consistent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
How exactly have they made more consistent contributions to their teams during their lean patch than Sachin ? As statistics show, Sachin leads them in EVERY batting stat thats relevant- more runs, higher average, more 100+ scores, more 50+ scores and more consistent 50+ scores.
And he also leads them in percentage of single figure scores...

A batsman making 20 every knock is far more valuable than one that scores 5 4 times in a row then 80 the next.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
of his last 10 matches 6 where aganist the best bowling attack in the world so can we give him some consideration there
6 may have been against Australia, but 4 of those were far from the best bowling attack in the world 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Scores below 40 are failures. Waugh has 2 tons, 4 fifties and 1 40, Tendy has 3 tons, 4 fifties and 1 40. Still tendulkar is ahead.
Rubbish - scores in the 20's or 30's allow a partnership to be built, single figures do not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
i would like to hear your reasoning as why not outs should not be counted towards this 'calculation'.
How does being not out actually contribute to the side?

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And he also leads them in percentage of single figure scores...

A batsman making 20 every knock is far more valuable than one that scores 5 4 times in a row then 80 the next.
i dont think so a batsmen scorig 20's in 10 inngs wont be preferred over some say scorring 6 single digit score one hundred and 2 fifties and on 30+. thats what tendulakr has done in his last 20 some inngs double of what i have given

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
Laxman is one name that come to mind
There have been others in time.

Gavaskar went thru a very bad patch and there was similar talk that he should be dropped. Then he came and decided to play like his skipper in tests and scored one of the fastest hundreds ever by an Indian by going hammer and tongs from the first ball. An innings Sehwag would find difficult to replicate and he was back in business. Maybe Sachin needs to do that ?

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Success draws as much contempt and jealousy as praise. It's been clear for a while now that there is a group that absolutely despises Tendulkar and his status and now that he seems to be down, all the daggers are coming out.

Those who are even contemplating dropping Sachin, now or in the future, must be on crack. He is too classy a player to be dropped. On top of that, he's only 31 - I'd say he has at least 3 more years if not more.

Not only does Sachin perform with the bat, but he
- provides a huge psychological boost to Team India
- is a legend and an inspiration to his younger teammates who will go through a wall just to get some praise from him
- is still a useful bowler and one of the safest fielders in the side
- probably the smartest cricketer in the Indian team and also the best student of the game (he picks up opposition strategies quite quickly and passes them on to Ganguly who almost always goes to his two smartest cricketers, Dravid/Tendulkar, for consultation)
- brings tons of experience and maturity to a young team

I agree he hasn't performed up to his usual standards with the bat the last 2 years but the entire anti-Tendulkar faction quickly seems to forget (or perhaps does it intentionally) that he has had the most significant injury problems of his entire career during this 2 year phase. Once he gets over it, the class will show again. I have no doubts.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
biased indian said:
Laxman is one name that come to mind
Thats right,even Ganguly comes to mind and he's the captain,remember Sehwag with his form slump a few months back?

After reading all of the posts on this thread the bottomline appears to be simple...Its pathetic to even think to drop Sachin...
...and this comes from a guy who recently had started disliking Tendulkar for his doing nothing for the Indian team in the Australia series...

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont think he should be droped.. but ppl do have to accept he is never going to be the same again.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
These are 17 consecutive scores by an Australian great (batsman).

277 runs at an average of 17. These innings are spread over exactly 24 months, so his bad form did last !!

I have not checked but its possible he was dropped (he wasnt a legend when his bad spell started) during this period but his terrible bad form did last 2 years with no fifty in 17 innings and 10 test matches.

But boy, did he come back ? He came back to score another 8000 test runs.