• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anybody finds this astonishing.....

Bouncer

State Regular
Bouncer said:
Guys, I think may be it is in Sachin's best interest to be given a Break from International cricket......Its not that he has weeknesses...i think he has just played too much of cricket.....and also seems too defensive in beginging of innings...or thats jus me who has felt this..... well any way a 6-8 months a break will do him great.....wasnt Brian Lara took a break Before the SL tour andthen he came back with 700 runs in 3 games.....or else Sachin has to chose between Test or ODi atleast for a short Period of time.....
WHo else thinks that this guy has got a point too.....ahhma ahhhamm :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bouncer said:
WHo else thinks that this guy has got a point too.....ahhma ahhhamm :)
Tendulkar has already been forced into a break by his injuries. he really should be left alone. Lara was left alone and he took the break he thought he needed and came back strongly. Tendulkar will figure out himself and runs will flow again..

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Form is temporary, class is permanent. It was silly for people to ask for Lara's head when he was going a bad patch. When Sehwag was going through a lean period of just a few innings recently, people asked for his head as well. The best example here is Marvan Atapattu who struggled early on but still was persisted with.

Now people saying Tendulkar has to 'justify' selection. True every one has to. Sachin justifies selection by being the most consistent run scorer in world cricket in the first so many years of his career.

He is not God. Every one goes through a slump. It is practically the first time Tendulkar has gone through such a slump. And it does not mean any thing when you compare the inconsistent performances by Ganguly and Laxman in the side.

When I see Laxman throw his wicket away or Ganguly drive a ball outside off stump and get out in a silly manner, they deserve being dropped for playing irresponsible.

Tendulkar is not gulilty of throwing his wicket and is too good to maitain form slump.

Expect this thread to look really silly in a while. Tendulkar has some years left in him and will go when he knows best. No one else can decide as best as he can regarding this.

Its time we leave the great man alone and let him solve the problem himself.
no..in my opinion that doesnt justify selection...should WI's bring back Viv Richards based on the fact that he was the worlds best batsman in the 70's and 80's

This thread may look silly in the future if he gets out of his slump (and 2 years is one hell of a slump)(and he should get runs vs B'desh)...but who will look silly IF Tendulkar struggles for yet another year because of selectors making judgements based on 10 years ago and not the present or recent past

masterblaster

International Captain
I think he should get rid of this whole 'thinking cricketer' garbage. Play his natural game, get off to those confident, blazing starts, even he'll be surprised at how many runs he scores then.

The first 12 years of his career, his stats and his SR was unbelievable. Get back to the destructive Sachin we all know and love so much. In cricket there's always a tendency to over analyse things, and that can lead to his downfall.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
no..in my opinion that doesnt justify selection...should WI's bring back Viv Richards based on the fact that he was the worlds best batsman in the 70's and 80's

This thread may look silly in the future if he gets out of his slump (and 2 years is one hell of a slump)(and he should get runs vs B'desh)...but who will look silly IF Tendulkar struggles for yet another year because of selectors making judgements based on 10 years ago and not the present or recent past
Swervy said:

Erm Richards and Tendulkar are not in the same age bracket.

If Tendulkar cant play for a year (cos of his injury - I dont know how bad they are), he will himself retire and that will be very sad for world cricket that his career would be cut short by a few years. Forger the thought of him being DROPPED.

Apart from that, I dont see any way the form in tests will go for a year. The guy knows to play cricket the way we know to walk, talk etc.

Either you are being too harsh on Tendulkar or very pessimistic.

shankar

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
I think he should get rid of this whole 'thinking cricketer' garbage. Play his natural game, get off to those confident, blazing starts, even he'll be surprised at how many runs he scores then.

The first 12 years of his career, his stats and his SR was unbelievable. Get back to the destructive Sachin we all know and love so much. In cricket there's always a tendency to over analyse things, and that can lead to his downfall.
But IMO Tendulkar is not a purely instinctive player. He has never been the kind of batsman who will, regardless of bad form, go out and smash the ball purely on instinct. His game is based on confidence derived from his solid technique which then allows him to follow his instinct. Right now I think his technique is shaky and hence he is curbing his instinct. This 'thinking cricketer garbage' is not a new thing with him, It's who he's always been. But maybe like you say, he needs to develop into the kind of a cricketer who trusts his instincts more.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin is in a bit of trouble. His problem is he is not dominating the bowling as he used to and he is not comfortable with that. He thinks too much and is trying too hard to get back to his all conquering form.

He needs to relax. I think he finds it very difficult to do that.

The pressure of being on a pedestal for a billion people for as long as he has been and being required and continuously striving to be worthy of it is not something we all can even get close to appreciating.

I think Sachin needs a break not from the game but from the stress of being THE LITTLE MASTER and staying on that pedestal.

He had picked some bad habits from the limited over game and was getting out from those in tests but he understood that and in trying to change that over compensated and put un-natural restrictions on himself.

The fact that he scored a big double hundred, against Australia, in Australia, without a single boundry to covers inspite of being fed for it, shows what he is capable of imposing upon himself. But this is un-natural and it has to take its toll. Sachin is a naturally aggressive stroke player, he can not play a game so alien to what he has done all of past two decades and expect to perform well. I doubt any one has the guts to say this to him.

I think he needs to go to a consultant or a hypnotist or take to meditation or something. And I am dead serious.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Now that we are questioning his form/etc, of course he will make a hundred in his next innings. ;)

Swervy

International Captain
Jnr. said:
Now that we are questioning his form/etc, of course he will make a hundred in his next innings. ;)
maybe..but what India need is Tendulkar to become the reliable batsman he was, to contribute in every match he plays, he may well get a hundred next inning, but what will be important is how he plays after that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jnr. said:
I dont know about the next innings but he WILL score and someone will have to really pay heavily for his low scores. Last time he had a bad patch, he just wanted to go on and on as his unbeaten double cntury, followed by unbeaten sixty and unbeaten 194 showed. He was clearly upset at the declaration, I think, because he had gone out thinking this is what he is going to do.

It is a terrible patch he is going through but just you wait....

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Erm Richards and Tendulkar are not in the same age bracket..
That doesnt matter, you said he has justified his selection through his exploits of years ago..and so therefore I say Richards would justify a place in the WI's team based on performance years ago.

In reality Richards obviously wouldnt be the same batsman he was....and I really dont think Tendulkar is the batsman he was.Test cricket is more competitive than it was years ago, gone are the days of giving a player with former glories one last series for the sake of it..teams cannot afford that luxury.

Pratyush said:
If Tendulkar cant play for a year (cos of his injury - I dont know how bad they are), he will himself retire and that will be very sad for world cricket that his career would be cut short by a few years. Forger the thought of him being DROPPED.

Apart from that, I dont see any way the form in tests will go for a year. The guy knows to play cricket the way we know to walk, talk etc.

Either you are being too harsh on Tendulkar or very pessimistic.
Why forget about him being dropped???? If he doesnt perform why should he command a place in the team..that kind of attitude could be very harmful to a team.

I would be surprised to see this slump go on for a year as well, but the truth is he has done little consistantly for the last 2 years.

And maybe I am being harsh on Tendulkar,but I dont see how ANYONE can justify a place in a team after such a miserable run of form, not in this day and age

C_C

International Captain
If Hayden had a similar run of form in next two years, ie only got into double figures 36% of the time, do you think Australia would keep persisting with him, based on the possibilty that he might produce in the next innings or whatever.....would they hell
First, its pitiful comparing Hayden to Tendulkar......Hayden has a long way to go before he can match Tendulkar or Lara overall.
Anyways, as per your query, i think Australia would GLADLY keep Hayden or Tendy on current form for oh-about another year ?

Care to tell me what AUS did when Mark Taylor was having a rough patch ? Persisted with him!
Care to tell me what AUS did with Steve Waugh when he was going through a rough patch ? Persisted with him!
This is Taylor and Waugh's record during their 'lean patch':

Taylor:( 96-early 98)

Matches: 21
Innings: 36
Not Outs: 4
Total Runs: 941
Average: 29.40
HS: 129
C: 2
F: 3

% of innings with 50+ scores: 13.88

Steve Waugh: (late 2001- mid 2003)

Matches: 18
Innings: 25
Not Outs: 1
Total Runs: 778
Average: 32.41
HS: 103*
C:2
F: 4

% of innings with 50+ scores: 24.00%
# of double figure scores:

Contrast that to Tendulkar's record:

Matches: 15
Innings: 26
Not outs:3
Total Runs: 1044
Average: 45.39
HS: 241*
C: 3

% of innings with 50+ scores: 26.92%

Even in his 'slump', he has what is considered a very good average ( typically defined as 40+) and is more consistent than Waugh or Taylor during their rough times......

So i dont know where you get the MYTH that Australia chops their stars when they dont fire instead of doing what every other team does: give them time to work their way out of the slump.

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
maybe..but what India need is Tendulkar to become the reliable batsman he was, to contribute in every match he plays, he may well get a hundred next inning, but what will be important is how he plays after that.
name some players who contribute in every test match that they play??

he played a good knock( and was involved in a match winning patnership also ) in the second last inngs that he played !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
That doesnt matter, you said he has justified his selection through his exploits of years ago..and so therefore I say Richards would justify a place in the WI's team based on performance years ago.

In reality Richards obviously wouldnt be the same batsman he was....and I really dont think Tendulkar is the batsman he was.Test cricket is more competitive than it was years ago, gone are the days of giving a player with former glories one last series for the sake of it..teams cannot afford that luxury.

Why forget about him being dropped???? If he doesnt perform why should he command a place in the team..that kind of attitude could be very harmful to a team.

I would be surprised to see this slump go on for a year as well, but the truth is he has done little consistantly for the last 2 years.

And maybe I am being harsh on Tendulkar,but I dont see how ANYONE can justify a place in a team after such a miserable run of form, not in this day and age
If Richards was 31 and going through a form slump, he would not be dropped. A great player of all time who has played well all his life does not stop playing well at 31. At 45-50 he will and there lies the difference.

Tendulkar is just too good to be dropped. A person can justify his place in the team if it is guaranteed he will perform in the future. Sri Lanka kept faith in Atapattu during his miserable run. Why? Because they knew he would play well in the future.

There was talk of dropping McGrath after his form slump. He came good didnt he. He was too bad to under perform. Same goes for Tendulkar.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
First, its pitiful comparing Hayden to Tendulkar......Hayden has a long way to go before he can match Tendulkar or Lara overall.
Anyways, as per your query, i think Australia would GLADLY keep Hayden or Tendy on current form for oh-about another year ?

Care to tell me what AUS did when Mark Taylor was having a rough patch ? Persisted with him!
Care to tell me what AUS did with Steve Waugh when he was going through a rough patch ? Persisted with him!
This is Taylor and Waugh's record during their 'lean patch':

Taylor:( 96-early 98)

Matches: 21
Innings: 36
Not Outs: 4
Total Runs: 941
Average: 29.40
HS: 129
C: 2
F: 3

% of innings with 50+ scores: 13.88

Steve Waugh: (late 2001- mid 2003)

Matches: 18
Innings: 25
Not Outs: 1
Total Runs: 778
Average: 32.41
HS: 103*
C:2

% of innings with 50+ scores: 24.00%
# of double figure scores:

Contrast that to Tendulkar's record:

Matches: 15
Innings: 26
Not outs:3
Total Runs: 1044
Average: 45.39
HS: 241*
C: 3

% of innings with 50+ scores: 26.92%

Even in his 'slump', he has what is considered a very good average ( typically defined as 40+) and is more consistent than Waugh or Taylor during their rough times......

So i dont know where you get the MYTH that Australia chops their stars when they dont fire instead of doing what every other team does: give them time to work their way out of the slump.
Taylor and Waugh were captains of successful teams at the time...and I actually think both players made more consistant contributions to there teams than Sachin has in the last 2 YEARS.

In his last 25 innings Sachin has scored just over 800 runs..500 came in 3 innings...what about the other 22 innings????

Just about the only things he has done consistantly is come in when India are in trouble and get out to put India in deeper trouble..or come in when India have made a reasonable start and get out cheaply to give the initiative back to the opposition...when he has got a big score ie 241 vs Australia, he didnt play like we all know he can or the 194 vs pakistan, it was on a batsmans paradise.

And yes I think if an Aussie player these days had scored 16 single figure scores in the last 25 innings as a number 4 batsman, he would be out on his ****.

so dont look at the avearge over that 25 inning period, the figure is inflated hugely by those 3 unbeaten innings played on shirt fronts..look at the number of times in those games he has contributed to India winning or saving the game..or anything for that matter

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
If Richards was 31 and going through a form slump, he would not be dropped. A great player of all time who has played well all his life does not stop playing well at 31. At 45-50 he will and there lies the difference.

Tendulkar is just too good to be dropped. A person can justify his place in the team if it is guaranteed he will perform in the future. Sri Lanka kept faith in Atapattu during his miserable run. Why? Because they knew he would play well in the future.

There was talk of dropping McGrath after his form slump. He came good didnt he. He was too bad to under perform. Same goes for Tendulkar.
it is not guaranteed at all.....

Tell me what has Tendulkar done in the last 2 years that suggests he is too good to be dropped..what contributions of much note has he made to the team..a team that was at one point pressing for 2nd in the world and now just arent talked about like that...Indias batting should in theory be unbeatable based on reputation..and yet we consistantly see them getting skittled out cheaply...why?????

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
And yes I think if an Aussie player these days had scored 16 single figure scores in the last 25 innings as a number 4 batsman, he would be out on his ****.
what about it if he was an english player :p :p

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
it is not guaranteed at all.....
just arent talked about like that...Indias batting should in theory be unbeatable based on reputation..and yet we consistantly see them getting skittled out cheaply...why?????
its been only two bad test match aganist australia and u say that u ahve seen india being dismissed cheaply i ahvent seen that thing happening consistantly :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Who is to say when a player loses touch with the bat..it happens earlier with some players than with others...the reflexes slow down, the eyesight might not be as sharp etc...the aging process occurs at differing times..how do you know Tendulkar hasnt reached that point (I am not saying he has, but the lack of runs has to be down to something!!).Tendulkar also has a hell of a lot of expectations placed on him from the public, its a lot for someone to manage over such a long period of time.

many people acknowledge that he doesnt play with the same flair..why is that?
people say he hasnt got the technique anymore..why is that???

You should be questioning these things as opposed to blindly saying Tendulkar is too good to be dropped...you must be able to see that if he continues to perform poorly, his place must be in jepody..whether you like it or not..and if it isnt after another 2 series of poor performances, something is severely wrong with the Indian selction process to keep a has been player in the team in favour of a younger player

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
what about it if he was an english player :p :p
I think if Trescothick or anyone else (apart from maybe vaughan) went 25 innings with only making double figures 9 times, he would be out like a flash..difference is India supposedly have a lot of batting talent and so shouldnt really be tolerating poor performance as much as maybe England need to. The reality is that England dont actually have a batting line up that is too far behind Indias in talent at all.

Last edited: