• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricket player performs/performed best under pressure?

Which batsmen performs/performed well under pressure situation?

• Inzamam Ul Haq

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Michael bevan

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Hansie Cronje

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Aravinda De Silva

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Stephen Fleming

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
1. M.G. Bevan
2. M.A. Azharuddin
3. S.R.Waugh
4. Inzaman-ul-haq
5. B.C.Lara
6. Hansie Cronje

Rahul Dravid is a great batsman who has excellent concentation levels. He would be rated in the top five tecnical batsmen but no one beats these five from the cricket I have watched.

G.R.Vishwanath is one player of the past I think who must have performed very well under pressure considering that in matches he made centuries India never lost.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Typical misunderstanding here.
It's not the case that certain players peform under pressure and others don't - it's simply that some players feel pressure more easily than others. In certain situations, Michael Bevan won't feel under any undue pressure while most others would be worrying their heads off.
Perhaps a better term would be who performs best when external observers perceive there to be pressure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Typical misunderstanding here.
It's not the case that certain players peform under pressure and others don't - it's simply that some players feel pressure more easily than others. In certain situations, Michael Bevan won't feel under any undue pressure while most others would be worrying their heads off.
Perhaps a better term would be who performs best when external observers perceive there to be pressure.
8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Pressure exists in the game since the players are human and not robots.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jesus Christ... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
WHERE DID I SAY "PRESSURE DOES NOT EXIST?????"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I quite clearly said "some players feel pressure to different extents than others".
Which means that it is not the case, as plenty seem to think, that pressure has to be in place equally in equal circumstances.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slow Love™ said:
Yes, he fell to pieces afterwards (and literally too)
What the feck, you can't say sh*t like that. Some people still love Hansie. Comments like that have caused threads to be closed pretty recently..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Non-South Africans do rather tend to give Cronje less of the human respect he deserves.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Non-South Africans do rather tend to give Cronje less of the human respect he deserves.
Can't quite believe what im hearing.. He commited a crime and he repented and served his punishment.. Last thing I expect to hear is members (who i quite respect) joking about him dying in a bloody plane crash...

Camel56

Banned
Michael Bevan was over rated. Very good one day player for a while but cmon his stats were hugely inflated by many not outs and he never really had the ability to score at a very fast pace. He was solid and handled the pressure cooker that is limited overs cricket very well but hewas never as good as the hype merchants made out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Can't quite believe what im hearing.. He commited a crime and he repented and served his punishment.. Last thing I expect to hear is members (who i quite respect) joking about him dying in a bloody plane crash...
Like I say, some people don't seem to realise he deserves the respect any human-being deserves - and that means people not joking about your death.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Camel56 said:
Michael Bevan was over rated. Very good one day player for a while but cmon his stats were hugely inflated by many not outs and he never really had the ability to score at a very fast pace. He was solid and handled the pressure cooker that is limited overs cricket very well but hewas never as good as the hype merchants made out.
Yes, he was - he proved himself more than capable of smashing the ball all over the place during the field-restrictions - he simply wasn't given the chance to do that very often in ODIs. He was stereotyped as being good only at the "finishing" role.
The large number of not-outs, meanwhile, do actually count for something given that not getting dismissed is a rather important part of batting, and it's something hardly anyone has ever come close to him on doing.
Bevan was capable of turning his hand to any situation required in a limited-overs game - far more capable than anyone else has ever been.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a side note; as far as Cronje's death goes, don't misunderstand Slow Love's comment to be a lack of respect. As someone who works in an environment where I and my colleagues deal with the results of traumatic crimes daily (*** Crimes Branch of SA Police but I've worked murders with Major Crime too), it's quite commonplace for somewhat tasteless jokes to be the norm. If there was a tape-recorder present sometimes, well people who don't do the job would be mortified I'm sure. It's a release mechanism for dealing with such horrible things in a lot of ways and a method of getting 'outside' the trauma associated with it because if you are 'in' it all the time with no way of getting 'out', well I can almost stone-cold guarantee a breakdown is well underway.

I don't know for sure Slow Love's motivation on that one but I can understand the motivation to 'joke' about traumatic events. Everyone does it. There have been jokes about traumatic events since traumatic events began. That's my take on it anyway. :)

Camel56

Banned
Richard said:
Yes, he was - he proved himself more than capable of smashing the ball all over the place during the field-restrictions - he simply wasn't given the chance to do that very often in ODIs. He was stereotyped as being good only at the "finishing" role.
The large number of not-outs, meanwhile, do actually count for something given that not getting dismissed is a rather important part of batting, and it's something hardly anyone has ever come close to him on doing.
Bevan was capable of turning his hand to any situation required in a limited-overs game - far more capable than anyone else has ever been.
Yes the not outs count for something of course but they have just added to the inflatted average that people always crap on about. Highest average in ODI history? Who cares it was inflated. IVA Richards' average is far more impressive and he was a far better one day (and test match for that matter) player to boot.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
On a side note; as far as Cronje's death goes, don't misunderstand Slow Love's comment to be a lack of respect. As someone who works in an environment where I and my colleagues deal with the results of traumatic crimes daily (*** Crimes Branch of SA Police but I've worked murders with Major Crime too), it's quite commonplace for somewhat tasteless jokes to be the norm. If there was a tape-recorder present sometimes, well people who don't do the job would be mortified I'm sure. It's a release mechanism for dealing with such horrible things in a lot of ways and a method of getting 'outside' the trauma associated with it because if you are 'in' it all the time with no way of getting 'out', well I can almost stone-cold guarantee a breakdown is well underway.

I don't know for sure Slow Love's motivation on that one but I can understand the motivation to 'joke' about traumatic events. Everyone does it. There have been jokes about traumatic events since traumatic events began. That's my take on it anyway. :)
Heh, thanks for trying to bail me out on that one mate, but I'll willingly plead guilty to disrespect when it comes to Cronje.

To be honest, it kinda appalls me the things that can be said about Murali, a player that only ever inadvertently brought himself into question, and yet, Cronje, who deliberately, willingly, corrupted the game and worse still, corrupted others less experienced is still "loved by many". Not by me, and I call into question how much pressure that guy was ever under on the international stage, outside of whether he was going to please his bookies. I think, to be honest, I was riled at his inclusion with decent players in the poll who didn't sell out the game.

As to the "falling to pieces" line, it wasn't intended with as much malice as it might have seemed - it's a throwaway line, and yes, we've all done it at some stage or another, and often about far better people than Cronje. It was only intended to be sharp and flippant, and I wouldn't have brought it up in a serious discussion about his death. But Langeveldt, if it offended you, I apologize.

tooextracool

International Coach
Camel56 said:
Yes the not outs count for something of course but they have just added to the inflatted average that people always crap on about. Highest average in ODI history? Who cares it was inflated. IVA Richards' average is far more impressive and he was a far better one day (and test match for that matter) player to boot.
this has been done 1 million times, but the fact that his average goes up when he bats at 4 proves that his average is not inflated.
mind you, id like to ask you to show me any player who batted as low as 6 in the order and still came out with an average of 50+ or even close because it certainly appears as though batting down the order with a high average seems to be relatively simple...

tooextracool

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
To be honest, it kinda appalls me the things that can be said about Murali, a player that only ever inadvertently brought himself into question, and yet, Cronje, who deliberately, willingly, corrupted the game and worse still, corrupted others less experienced is still "loved by many". Not by me, and I call into question how much pressure that guy was ever under on the international stage, outside of whether he was going to please his bookies. I think, to be honest, I was riled at his inclusion with decent players in the poll who didn't sell out the game.
while i dont expect him to be loved by many, i do expect him to be respected. he made south africa one of the best teams in the world, and did everything possible to make them do well as a team. personally i think at least half the people playing in that era were in some way involved in match fixing, certainly many that were even more involved than cronje. how someone like akram came out with a clean sheet is quite beyond me, yet how many people here hate him?
id also like to say that at least 9/10th of the people in the world today would, if a bookie offered them a very large sum of money to fix one series, take up the offer without hesitation. you and i might not though......

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
id also like to say that at least 9/10th of the people in the world today would, if a bookie offered them a very large sum of money to fix one series, take up the offer without hesitation. you and i might not though......
Go and look up "integrity" in the dictionary (it's between "imbecile" and "intolerable"; familiar words for you?)

Some people still have it. The best players don't get into match fixing because there is no need. They know they are among the best and want to finish their careers knowing that they gave everything they had to the game.