• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies drop 16 players in contract dispute for Australian VB series

Slow Love™

International Captain
What a mess - these "entire team" exclusive sponsorship deals are really doing some damage. Among the missing are Sarwan, Lara and Gayle.

Seems that of 25 players invited to a training camp (the qualifier being agreeing to a new type of contract), only nine have accepted, so the rest of them are ruled out for the tour.

Maybe this can be resolved in time, but it seems doubtful. The main issue is that the players (and their sponsors) have to be compensated for their lost earnings/marketing.

This will really cut the guts out of the series, if it isn't fixed.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/110693_WI_24NOV2004.html

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 5-hour meeting between the Board and the 16 just concluded, but no news yet as to the outcome. Dwayne Bravo and Brian Lara also left the meeting early. Not sure what that says.

I'm confident of a resolution, but it's intriguing (yet disturbing) to consider the West Indies going to Australia minus Lara, Bravo, Gayle, Sarwan, Bradshaw and Browne. It would certainly be an interesting lineup and I dare suggest that Sherwin Ganga, Dinesh Ramdin and Xavier Marshall would make their entry from the start.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let us hope that this dispute is resoved as quickly as possible. It is a mouthwatering prospect having Pakistan & the West Indies over here for the one day series, however an understrength West Indies would effect the contests severly.

bryce

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm confident of a resolution, but it's intriguing (yet disturbing) to consider the West Indies going to Australia minus Lara, Bravo, Gayle, Sarwan, Bradshaw and Browne.
lol

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Bah. Was going to buy tickets for the Aus v WI game in Melbourne but will have to wait a week or two now to see if this thing resolves itself.

Craig

World Traveller
Liam, have you started packing your kit just in case the phone may ring if there is no resolution? :D

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I was really looking forward to the VB series, but if we are subjected to a competition that is effectively the same as last season, where the finalists are decided before the series even starts, then I don't think I'll be looking forward to it at all.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I am ****ing so ****ed off over this.Brian lara and the windies touring australia is the highlight for me in cricket and with pakistan it would of been an awesome series,and it looks like we will be robbed.
I cant beleive this ****!!!
The series will be a joke.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
God damn. Cricket has become so commercial. Money is ruling the game, and its ruining it for the fans.

Deja moo

International Captain
Cant blame the players ,can we?

Most probably they have clauses in their pre-existing contracts that prevent them from endorsing competitors.

The WICB cannot force them to dishonour their obligations . Shades of the Indian players dispute in 2002 .

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The 5-hour meeting between the Board and the 16 just concluded, but no news yet as to the outcome. Dwayne Bravo and Brian Lara also left the meeting early. Not sure what that says.

I'm confident of a resolution, but it's intriguing (yet disturbing) to consider the West Indies going to Australia minus Lara, Bravo, Gayle, Sarwan, Bradshaw and Browne. It would certainly be an interesting lineup and I dare suggest that Sherwin Ganga, Dinesh Ramdin and Xavier Marshall would make their entry from the start.
See link: http://www.caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1600

Sounds like there was a meeting between the WIPA and the contract "rebels". Not sure the 16 have actually met the WICB, but you may be right.

According to the WIPA statement, the WICB have based their treatment of individual player rights on the Aussie retainer contract, but unlike the ACB, they don't intend to compensate players for "giving up" their rights to individual sponsorship.

Seems a long way from resolution to me.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the matches would be a waste of time without Lara sarwan and gayle - really enjoy watching those fella's play too :'(

bryce

International Regular
incase no one is completely up to date i'll post the 16 players in dispute,

B.Lara
R.Sarwan
C.Gayle
W.Hinds
Devon Smith
M.Samuels
D.Ganga
D.Bravo
R.Hinds
S.Ganga
C.Browne
D.Ramdin
I.Bradshaw
M.Dillon
P.Collins
C.Collymore

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
who's left from the current team ? Chanderpaul is about the only name i can come up with.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Best, Edwards (although I'm not sure he plays ODIs) at least.

Edit: Also Ricardo Powell...renowned slogger. So unless this gets fixed, we're looking at a Bangladesh-level team coming to Oz.

bryce

International Regular
also dwayne smith, or is he still injured ?
one person that would be happy with this is ridley jacobs.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Right, unless it's him that's on strike and not Devon Smith...I dunno, a team might look something like this:

Xavier Marshall
Sylvester Joseph
Shiv Chanderpaul
Dwayne Smith
Ridley Jacobs
Carlton Baugh
Ricardo Powell
Omari Banks
Ravi Rampaul
Tino Best
Fidel Edwards

Ho hum...