• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies drop 16 players in contract dispute for Australian VB series

bryce

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Right, unless it's him that's on strike and not Devon Smith...I dunno, a team might look something like this:

Xavier Marshall
Sylvester Joseph
Shiv Chanderpaul
Dwayne/Devon Smith (whoever's not involved)
Ridley Jacobs
Carlton Baugh
Ricardo Powell
Omari Banks
Ravi Rampaul
Tino Best
Fidel Edwards

Ho hum...
devon is striking and dwayne is not

howardj

International Coach
Holy smokes! That team is a little less than terrible. I reckon Adrian Griffith might even get a game!

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Right, unless it's him that's on strike and not Devon Smith...I dunno, a team might look something like this:

Xavier Marshall
Sylvester Joseph
Shiv Chanderpaul
Dwayne Smith
Ridley Jacobs
Carlton Baugh
Ricardo Powell
Omari Banks
Ravi Rampaul
Tino Best
Fidel Edwards

Ho hum...
Don't think Banks, Rampaul, Best or Edwards are in the original 25-man training squad. If fit, they may well be added to replace the "rebels", but presumably the attack would be more likely to include Reon King, Deighton Butler and Dwight Washington - all of whom, from memory, are in the 25 and are reported to have signed the contract.

Of course, the real issues are the implications for West Indies cricket if the dispute is not resolved. If it's left to the lawyers, a number of top players could be in limbo for months or perhaps years.

bryce

International Regular
reon king is a class bowler, not sure how he has been bowling since his comeback though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
garage flower said:
Don't think Banks, Rampaul, Best or Edwards are in the original 25-man training squad. If fit, they may well be added to replace the "rebels", but presumably the attack would be more likely to include Reon King, Deighton Butler and Dwight Washington - all of whom, from memory, are in the 25 and are reported to have signed the contract.

Of course, the real issues are the implications for West Indies cricket if the dispute is not resolved. If it's left to the lawyers, a number of top players could be in limbo for months or perhaps years.
Who is Deighton Butler?

I just took players from memory and from cricinfo. That name really hasn't turned up :blink:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:

Xavier Marshall
Sylvester Joseph
Shiv Chanderpaul
Dwayne Smith
Ridley Jacobs
Carlton Baugh
Ricardo Powell
Omari Banks
Ravi Rampaul
Tino Best
Fidel Edwards

Ho hum...
*whistle*

classy lineup there...

who would be captain? Shiv? or Jacobs?

brockley

International Captain
Reading between the lines of this artcile its time to resurrect the Aussie A team.,according to cricnfo 19 players are now striking.

Woeful Windies headed for a hiding
November 25, 2004 - 10:34PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Cricket Australia has a fresh promotional crisis with the upcoming triangular one-day series in danger of being reduced to a farce after the West Indies dumped 16 players over a contract dispute.

Captain Brian Lara and 15 others were axed from a 25-man preliminary tour squad because of their contracts with Cable and Wireless, a telecommunications rival of Digicel, which recently signed a multimillion-dollar sponsorship deal with the West Indies Cricket Board.

Ramnaresh Sarwan, Wavell Hinds, Chris Gayle, wicketkeeper Courtney Browne, bowlers Marlon Samuels and Corey Collymore are other frontline players involved in the drama.

With the core of its team unlikely to tour and the board unlikely to budge, Australia will be faced with a repeat of last summer's tri-series, where minnows Zimbabwe made for a crowd but not a contest.

The Windies are currently equal fifth on the International Cricket Council's one-day table and although they have made on-field progress by winning the Champions' Trophy in September, just two members of that side - Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ricardo Powell - will come to Australia.

Advertisement
AdvertisementCricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland said the West Indies had an obligation to send its best team for the series.

"The West Indies tour, in cricket terms, is still a long way off. We would hope that the West Indies and their players can resolve their issues," Sutherland said in a statement.

"The West Indies have an obligation to tour Australia and our expectation is that we will host them in January."

However Sutherland said CA was monitoring the situation.

One possibility would be inviting another country for the series.

"At the moment we're talking about hypotheticals, but if they don't (agree) we will start thinking about alternatives," CA spokesman Peter Young said.

"If a week is a long time in cricket, then seven weeks is an eternity so it's not on the radar just now."

But Australia's problems are compounded by a lack of alternative opponents.

Only Zimbabwe, rebuilding after the sacking of its best players, will be free over the first six weeks of next year and Australia has long maintained the view international cricket is about the best playing the best.

"That would be disappointing," Australian captain Ricky Ponting said of the possibility of playing an understrength Windies side.

"You want to be playing the best teams you possibly can around the world.

"As we know the West Indies aren't the strongest nation in the calendar anyway.

"Hopefully it will be sorted out and resolved and hopefully they do send out their full-strength side."

The Windies have not yet named the replacements for the axed 16 players.

Talks between the dumped players and their board are continuing, but they have until the weekend to resolve the stand-off as players are due in Barbados on Monday for a training camp.

With that group will be three Australians - coach Bennett King, just appointed to his role, his assistant David Moore and Darren Holder, the West Indies Cricket Board coaching manager.

Holder, a former Queensland assistant coach, said a compromise was unlikely but said the touring party would not be bereft of international experience.

"They've played so many new players over the past few years," Holder said.

"The names will be relatively familiar, just not as prominent as the some of the others.

"It's got nothing to do with us. We just wait to get a group of blokes together to prepare them for Australia.

"It will be challenging but we just have to work with what we've got."

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
"As we know the West Indies aren't the strongest nation in the calendar anyway." - Ricky Ponting.

what an arrogant b*stard! they recently won the mini world cup - something Australia has never achieved, and he speaks of them as though they'll be flys to swat! hopefully the windies see this comment and decide to come over and slap the aussies around everywhere.

bowlers Marlon Samuels and Corey Collymore
marlon samuels? bowler??

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
"As we know the West Indies aren't the strongest nation in the calendar anyway." - Ricky Ponting.

what an arrogant b*stard! they recently won the mini world cup - something Australia has never achieved, and he speaks of them as though they'll be flys to swat! hopefully the windies see this comment and decide to come over and slap the aussies around everywhere.

marlon samuels? bowler??
All-rounder. Used to be, anyway.

And hopefully Ponting's comments do galvanise the West Indies, because it certainly beats the alternative.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Who is Deighton Butler?
I think that was the widespread reaction when he was named in the 25.

Can't be bothered to check his Cricinfo profile but, from memory, he's a left-arm seamer from the Windwards. He's no spring chicken at 29ish, but impressed in the recent 1-day tourney. I suppose it's safe to say he won't be sending shivers down the spine of Gilchrist, Ponting et al.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
knew samuels bowled reasonably good offies, but surely not a "bowler"

anyway, for followers of west indies cricket, whatever happened to marlon black and someone colin, or something like that. they were over in australia on their last tour here, and seemed to have some potential.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo said:
Who's refused to sign?
Brian Lara, Dwayne Bravo, Mervyn Dillon, Sherwin Ganga, Daren Ganga, Denesh Ramdin, Courtney Browne, Ian Bradshaw, Pedro Collins, Corey Collymore, Ryan Hinds, Chris Gayle, Wavell Hinds, Marlon Samuels, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Darren Sammy, Runako Morton. Early reports had indicated nine - but it's actually 19.

And who has signed?
Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Reon King, Narsingh Deonarine, Ricardo Powell, Deighton Butler, Dwight Washington, Xavier Marshall.
Eep. Apparently it's 19 not 16, though I can only count 18 there. I am fairly (though perhaps mistakenly) confident that it will be sorted out before January, my main concern is that it may create a rift between the dissenters and the non-dissenters.

bryce

International Regular
Cricinfo said:
Who's refused to sign?
Brian Lara, Dwayne Bravo, Mervyn Dillon, Sherwin Ganga, Daren Ganga, Denesh Ramdin, Courtney Browne, Ian Bradshaw, Pedro Collins, Corey Collymore, Ryan Hinds, Chris Gayle, Wavell Hinds, Marlon Samuels, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Darren Sammy, Runako Morton

And who has signed?
Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Reon King, Narsingh Deonarine, Ricardo Powell, Deighton Butler, Dwight Washington, Xavier Marshall.
i think it must be an 18/7 split because all of the original 25 man squad are in one or the other of those categories.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vic_orthdox said:
knew samuels bowled reasonably good offies, but surely not a "bowler"

anyway, for followers of west indies cricket, whatever happened to marlon black and someone colin, or something like that. they were over in australia on their last tour here, and seemed to have some potential.
Marlon Black has played a couple of domestic FC series since that tour and whilst he's bowled well, he hasn't had much luck at all. He was last recalled for a Test (2nd) against India last year in the Caribbean (from memory) and did well there (3 wickets in the first innings I think) at the Queen's Park Oval, but was then dropped and I think he may have given up on FC cricket completely now. Last I heard he was nowhere to be found when the T&T squad was preparing for the regional competition.

Colin Stuart simply 'lost it'. He returned from Australia and continued to bowl pretty well. He played a few more Tests against Zimbabwe and India (?) but the simply lost everything. He started the Carib Cup last year (?) for Guyana and was decked about, bowling all over the place and doing nothing with the ball. He was then sacked and that's the last I've heard of him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
I think that was the widespread reaction when he was named in the 25.

Can't be bothered to check his Cricinfo profile but, from memory, he's a left-arm seamer from the Windwards. He's no spring chicken at 29ish, but impressed in the recent 1-day tourney. I suppose it's safe to say he won't be sending shivers down the spine of Gilchrist, Ponting et al.
Accurate and gets decent shape on the ball. Useful cricketer at best in my estimation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

bryce said:
also dwayne smith, or is he still injured ?
one person that would be happy with this is ridley jacobs.
Dwayne Smith is fit, but he's horrible. He wasn't included in the original training party as he could hardly get a run for Barbados.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Beleg said:
Is cancelling the VB series a viable option in case the WI board doesn't budge?
I read in The Age this morning that Australia were considering alternative invitations, but there just aren't that many teams with a free roster at the time (and I don't think they'll be inviting Zimbabwe in the near future).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Woeful-Windies-headed-for-a-hidings/2004/11/25/1101219684432.html

I can't see them cancelling the VB series. Too much revenue lost, even if interest becomes confined to the Pakistan v Australia games. I wonder if they'd consider having New Zealand over a little longer, and including them instead? It'd all be at very short notice though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

vic_orthdox said:

He's like Michael Jackson! He needs someone to tell no, "That may not be the smartest thing to say."