• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Hope it is permanent - Chappel dumped by Nine

Camel56

Banned
Nicholas has got nothing in the way of commentating ability either. Infact most of the channel 9 clowns are booring as bat sh!t, chappel was just the worst of the lot.
The ABC radio commentary team has it all over their TV counterparts with Kerry O'Keefe leading the way. This bloke is pure entertainment and would easily hold his own on a late night television show like Rove or Letterman.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this is sad. When talking about the technical aspects of the game (particularly captaining), Chappell is one of the best in the business. So many times I've watched when he's been saying, for example, that the team fielding should adopt a particular field, they have and a wicket has resulted. It's just that when he's not talking about the technical stuff, that's when he can be a bit out of his depth. ;) Mind you Mark Nicholas is a decent replacement.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
All the Aussie commentary sucks so bad.

*Clarke Edges the ball and just about gets out*
Thats how he plays.

I mean come on they always praise Aussie never the other team.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that Ian Chappell is an insightful man, and I respect his commentary because he never holds back. It is sad that he has been dumped by Channel 9.

Camel56

Banned
According to channel 9 he hasnt even been dumped. They reckon he "requested" not to go tot he adelaide test.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo says it's part of a Channel 9 Commentator rotation scheme and Chappell is reportedly angry at the move.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Difficult to see what's going on, here. Speculation that this is to help with the grooming of Mark Nicholas for Benaud's job doesn't play, becaus apparently Richie has just signed for another three years with Nine. (BTW, am I the only one surprised by this? 'Cause it's seemed to me that Richie's been slipping a bit over the last couple of years...)

Chappell's an astute tactician, but he has a tendency to lambast visiting teams for their "strategies", when it's obvious that they just can't match up anywhere near the Aussies on talent anyway, and are just being outplayed. This can be annoying at the best of times. I think he also (a little like Healy) gets over-obsessed with what should or shouldn't be going on in players' minds.

Still, can't they just ditch Tubby if they have to make room for somebody? Surely that would make everyone happy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chappell's an astute tactician, but he has a tendency to lambast visiting teams for their "strategies", when it's obvious that they just can't match up anywhere near the Aussies on talent anyway, and are just being outplayed.
That's the problem with a guy with a 'never-say-die' attitude. He does, in fairness, do the same to the Aussie teams. He probably honestly believes team success isn't a matter of raw talent as much as teamwork, tactics and just plain guts. He took a middling Aussie team in the early 70's to being one of the best in the world so you understand why he'd take that perspective. His perception is, if you're not doing well, it's probably because you're just not trying hard enough! :)

Still, can't they just ditch Tubby if they have to make room for somebody? Surely that would make everyone happy.
Gawd, it'd make ME happy!

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
Exactly. I haven't heard a lot of these guys recently but I always thought Tubby pretty much sucked big time.

masterblaster

International Captain
I really do enjoy Chappel's commentary. He's insightful and has the astute skills to back everything he says up as Corey and other mentioned. I certainly hope he hasn't been dumped, if he has then he'll probably get an ABC Radio contract pretty quickly. He's certainly better than Bill Lawry who in my opinion is pretty nationalistic and biased and has fewer brain cells than Chappel.

Deja moo

International Captain
The few times Chappell commentated in India , he came across as an insightful if one dimensional commentator. Mark Nicholas may play better with words, but I doubt he can get as technical about the game as Chappell .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think Billy Lawry is biased really. He just gets excited. I remember the 2nd Sydney final between Australia and India, he was the only one that said India are in the game half way through Australia's innings. I love Billy Lawry, his "bowled him" tops everything :cool:

That being said, I don't see what the fuss about Mark Nicholas is. I quite like him.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i dont are if they get rid of anyon or not but i really really dont want to have to put up with Mark Nicholas again. he is probably the worst commentator goin round

bryce

International Regular
i prefer every aussie commentator over mark nicholas, i hate him(or his commentary at least), the main problem is i think is that you get sick of him becuase he commentates in so many different series, i didn't mind him when i first heard him but every bloody international match screened in new zealand he seems to be commentating on !

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have personally always enjoyed Ian Chappell's commentary. Hope that he comes to commentate on more Indian matches if he is ditched by Nine.

masterblaster

International Captain
Apparently he'll be back, he's not being permanently replaced which is good news. Hopefully this is true though. He was just asked not to go to Adelaide for some bizarre reason.