• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden - Whats going on?

Camel56

Banned
Im interested to know what people believe to be the reasons behind what i consider to be a bit of a form slump by the master batsman? He's not making those high scores that we have become used to over the last few years. Although he has scored 900 odd runs for the calendar year, i dont think he has been batting nearly as well. Perhaps he will come out and make a fool of me on friday.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think it is a form slump as such. He was playing a role for the team in India where his job was to occupy the crease, rather than blaze away, I don't think it can be considered a form slump when he was getting between 30-50 in almost all the innings, he was unlucky in the first test, one good ball removed him. If it continues it can be a form slump, but I doubt we'll see Hayden fail in Adelaide.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Realistically, he's only had a few Tests where he hasn't scored a bucket of runs. I don't know whether it can adequately be called a form slump either. He's been getting 'handy' scores rather than the big ones which, to me, suggests a guy who's hitting the ball well but is getting good deliveries, playing a slightly ambitious shot or is just being bowled well at (probably that one). Certainly in the innings I've seen him, he doesn't *look* out of form. The same thing happened on the 2001 England tour, really. He's just going through a bit of a trough right now. You watch; one innings where he doesn't get a good one early or has a bit of luck, a hundred will probably be the result.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree. Although I think in India he was getting frustrated at occupying the crease, and played silly shots to some balls. He'll probably score a ton in Adelaide or something lol.

Slow Love™

International Captain
From what I've seen, Haydo's had the look of somebody frustrated at playing three grades down from where he should be. He's been walking down the pitch as the bowler's been in his approach, and he's generally been impatient and perhaps a little contemptuous of the bowling he's been facing.

If he can get back to treating each ball on it's merits, and grab back his concentration, I'm sure he'll be back to making large scores again. Lately he's kinda reminded me of the kid that gets out to his little sister because he was bored and just wanted to skip to the century celebrations.

All mental, IMO.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maybe Jesus has been letting him down, he obviously thinks he's a major player any time he gets a ton.

Simon

hasnt he got 5 tons in the last 12 months?
id be pretty happy with that!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
kwigibo said:
Maybe Jesus has been letting him down, he obviously thinks he's a major player any time he gets a ton.
oh my goodness. A person with a name I cant pronounce AND with an impeccible sense of wit? It must be the Messiah...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think he has gotten a bit too ****y. Mentioning that he would target Vettori, well, I can understand fast bowlers trying to target batsmen (even though I actually don't even agree with that) but for a batter, especially an opener, to say that he is actually going to target a certain bowler is just over-confidence, for me. The day he actually plays with a bit of respect for the opposition, he will be back to getting those big scores.

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
From what I've seen, Haydo's had the look of somebody frustrated at playing three grades down from where he should be. He's been walking down the pitch as the bowler's been in his approach, and he's generally been impatient and perhaps a little contemptuous of the bowling he's been facing.

If he can get back to treating each ball on it's merits, and grab back his concentration, I'm sure he'll be back to making large scores again. Lately he's kinda reminded me of the kid that gets out to his little sister because he was bored and just wanted to skip to the century celebrations.

All mental, IMO.
I think you're pretty much spot on there. Just looks to me as though it's all or nothing at the moment- he either hits the ball for four or gets tied down. He doesn't seem to have the will to build an innings.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
oh my goodness. A person with a name I cant pronounce AND with an impeccible sense of wit? It must be the Messiah...
Ok I know its his name and he can spel it anyway he likes but the only 'Kwigibo' I know is the one from the simpsons when they are playing Scrabble.

Bart tries to use all of his letters at once on a triple word score and comes out with 'kwijibo'. with a 'j'

When asked what a 'kwijibo' is he replies "Its a large balding North AMerican ape" :D

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
kwigibo said:
well perhaps a distress call would help....

"Jebus!" Help me Jebus!"

JEBUS!!! :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Realistically, he's only had a few Tests where he hasn't scored a bucket of runs. I don't know whether it can adequately be called a form slump either. He's been getting 'handy' scores rather than the big ones which, to me, suggests a guy who's hitting the ball well but is getting good deliveries, playing a slightly ambitious shot or is just being bowled well at (probably that one). Certainly in the innings I've seen him, he doesn't *look* out of form. The same thing happened on the 2001 England tour, really. He's just going through a bit of a trough right now. You watch; one innings where he doesn't get a good one early or has a bit of luck, a hundred will probably be the result.
i wonder if that tour of england was a form slump, just looking at his record there hasnt been a single occasion where hes suceeded in seamer friendly conditions.....

Top_Cat

i wonder if that tour of england was a form slump, just looking at his record there hasnt been a single occasion where hes suceeded in seamer friendly conditions.....
That's a good point. For all his skill and technical ability, he generally has the technique of someone who's penchant is for swing bowlers and spinners rather than guys who hit the seam. Funnily enough, I wrote an article on this site about that sort of thing last year!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nnanden said:
Could certainly be construed as offensive.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could it simply be that the runs he has scored since the New Zealand series in 2001\02 cannot possibly flow indefinately?
Only, no-one (except Bradman) has ever scored with such consistency over such a stupidly long time.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's only 10 runs away for 10000 runs in a calender year for the fourth time in a row, I wouldn't call it a form slump.