• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie TV Coverage suxs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I pretty much support every team that goes up against Australia, and I don't find the nine commentary biased at all really. The praise for Oram's innings was immense. Lawry was going wild, and was saying "I love a good fight" and when he was smashing 6's the commentators were full of praise.

I also don't see how people call Greig biased. I find him to get extremely excited when the Aussies are getting beaten. I recall a little while ago (actually, probably quite a few years ago) that Greig was the one that was praising up the opposition (Possibly the South Africans under Cronje when Symcox was still there).

What else can the commentators do when the Aussies are spanking other teams day in day out (unfortunate I know :(). Criticise them? They gave Langer a hell of a lot of criticism when Agarkar had him almost every game. In Brisbane when Ganguly was smashing the Aussies, Billy Lawry was having a go at the Aussies bowling to Ganguly's strengths. In Adelaide there was huge praise for Dravid and Laxman. In Sydney they criticised the bowlers for bowling consistently outside off stump, which Tendulkar left.

I just think if the Aussies got beaten or taken to the limit more often, you'd see more praise by the nine commentators for the opposition.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why you all have a go at Tony Greig for being a "salesman". No doubt he flogs merchandise as a contractual obligation to Channel 9.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look at today's play. Tony Greig and Bill Lawry are biased? They both just had a go at Hayden holding his ground with the caught & bowled.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Tony Greig is probably my favorite commentator out of the Channel 9 team. He's actually got a fair sense of humor, and it's great when he gets stuck into taunting Lawry.

One thing I wonder is who thought that pairing together Simon O'Donnell and Richie Benaud at the lunch break was a good idea? Simon's always having to laugh raucously to cover up the awkwardness as Richie sits there looking confused, and not sure as to whether he was supposed to reply to something or not. It's almost painful to watch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tony Greig is my favourite too Slow Love. He's great, and the way he 'starts' people, taunting them into some controversy is great. Long live Tony and his accent.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mr Casson said:
I don't know why you all have a go at Tony Greig for being a "salesman". No doubt he flogs merchandise as a contractual obligation to Channel 9.
but its tony greig's merchandise. he's the one making all the money out of it.

bias-wise, i think greiggy is an interesting one. he really does respect the australian players of the current era, but he loves seeing australia the team being beaten. you can hear it in his voice as soon as australia is under the pump. he also has a massive fixation with the speedo, thinks that it reflects how good a bowler someone is.

nicholas seems to have somethign over the rest of the channel nine team - a vocabulary! :D but i still dont rate him all that highly. the whole team is just translating what we see on the tv - we need more commentators to tell us what we don't know.

healy needs to open both eyes. can you tell he used to play for australia? :p he's a shocker sometimes. i hope that the international feeds dont receive the "c'mon aussie c'mon" during the tea break and other breaks, that would just be plain embarrassing.

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Crazy Sam said:
ian smith is the most biased of all, thank god we only have two more days of him at most.
Will he be commentating the one day (Chappell-Hadlee) series?

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I have to admit that Ian Smith did sound a little biased and frustrated yesterday. Usually he's pretty good.

I don't think Healy is that biased, and is one of the genuinely non-arrogant former Australian players of the 90s.

And it's baffling why anyone would consider O'Donnell and Benaud for the lunch show. Both are as boring as the other.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Im astounded in the difference in opinion across the world regarding mark nicholas... Hopefully he will take note and stay in Aus for good.. We dont want your "YOOOU BEEAUTYY" bullsh** any more...
Personally I haven't heard it from him in all the times I have heard him. Maybe England aren't playing?

Shane Warne is the worst commentator I have heard on Ch 9, except when he is talking about leg spin, the rest of the time I find him to be an annoying so-and-so.