• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AUS greatest ever

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
this current australian squad in my opinion would be the greatest cricket squad we have ever seen-what are your thoughts about this

Scallywag

Banned
My thoughts are you cannot be the best of all time just the best in your time.

Way to many variables.

The West Indies of the 70's and 80's might have played better had they faced better opposition, and the same for Steve Waughs 90's team.

C_C

International Captain
agreed to an extent.
Cannot compare across the eras very successfully.
But this OZ team IMO would give good competition to the WI of the 70s and 80s......
While Hayden may be significantly superior to Greenidge, Gillchrist being a lot better overall than Dujon and Warne being the biggest X-factor of the 'imaginary' confrontation, one cannot forget that the WI boasted significantly superior bowling prowess back then.
I dont think Steve Waugh is an inferior bat to any in the current team save Hayden and Ponting still has ways to go before he can match Tugga......and if you roll back the pages of history,you'd see that Waugh struggled against the might of Ambrose and Walsh.
thats two great bowlers(with Walsh being boderline great).....double that and you get the WI pace quartet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I still think they were better in 2000-01 with the Waughs and a younger McGrath (yes I realise he's still a champ).

2000-01 Aussies vs. The West Indies of old would be a great game to watch.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i agree that the 2000/01 aussies were the best, when mcgrath, gillespie, lee and warne were pretty much at their peak.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, the 2000/2001 Australian's were the best, everybody pretty much was at their peak, although this current side isn't far off.

C_C

International Captain
AUS 2001 or so versus Bradman's invincibles, Saffies of the late 60s and 70s and WI of the late 70s/80s would be a hard fought series, but i cant see the current OZ team winning the series against either three.

Sudeep

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Yeah, the 2000/2001 Australian's were the best, everybody pretty much was at their peak, although this current side isn't far off.
2000-2001 Australian side is the best cricketing side that I've seen, followed very closely by the current one. Obviously I can't compare them with some side say from 80s or 50s or 30s only on the basis of the results, since I wasn't watching cricket back then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I do feel the current Australian team is a better team than the one which played under Steve Waugh. The current team or the one under Steve Waugh are not as good as the Windies of the 70s and 80s (which is one invincible team indeed) or the original invincibles.

But I feel the team under Waugh was a bit over rated and this Aussie team very much under rated.

Lets compare

Langer Langer
Hayden Hayden
Ponting Ponting
Waugh Martyn
Waugh Lehmann
Martyn Clarke
Gilly Gilly
Warne Warne
Lee Kasporwicz
Gillespie Gillespie
McGrath McGrath

There have been only three changes in the team now from back then if we consider a best XI. Lee vs Kasporwicz, I think Kasporwicz suits the mix of things much better with his accurate stock bowling when there are three potent strike bowlers in the team. Situations do arise when the team needs a stock bowler (like in Kolkata in 2001) which makes this team stronger.

Lehman is the best player of spin bowling in the Aussie team.. Hayden fans may disagree maybe.

Clarke is an attacking batsman who is very solid and still very attacking... and 'young' as opposed to the two Waughs playing back then.

The Warne of today is bowling almost as good as he was in 93/94 and is much better than the one in 97-2003.

Ponting, Langer are better batsmen than back then.

While the team does miss the two Waughs in some ways, this team is far more solid and when people say this team is aging, they should notice the earlier team was not entirely 'young' with the Waughs playing. I would say this team is more experienced.

Lehmann has said he wants to play beyond the New Zealand series and his runs mean there is no way he should be dropped in the next twelve months atleast.

Ponting's XI better than Waugh's Australia.

They did manage to beat India and Sri Lanka in home too.. some thing the earlier team failed at..