• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan? A Chance for recall?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Michael Bevan's season so far for Tasmania has been nothing short of exceptional. He scored another domestic OD century today. It's coming around to the time when the one day squad will be chosen again and if he's not selected like it's anticipated he won't be it'll be the first time that i can remember the Aussie's haven't had Bevan in the squad.

He still today remains one of the best OD batsman in the world, but Australia's selectors want nothing to do with him because of his age. The same can't be said for thei view on Darren Lehmann.

If I was to choose an Australian OD squad right now Bevan would be in it. Would he be in yours?

Rich2001

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
it'll be the first time that i can remember the Aussie's haven't had Bevan in the squad.

If I was to choose an Australian OD squad right now Bevan would be in it. Would he be in yours?
He wasn't in the Champions Trophy squad was he?

He is certianly in a rich vain of form, however the Australian selectors aren't the sort to go and eat a slice of humble pie by re-calling a player they said was to old etc and they will no doubt stick with what they said and pick the same side that got beaten by England in the last match - Man that still feels good :D :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he didn't play the Champions Trophy. I don't think he played the 3 ODIs in Sri Lanka did he? That to me is a sign that unfortunately his international career is over. :(

He is in striking form though.

telsor

U19 12th Man
The theory is that Bevan wont be around for the next WC, so it's time to make the changes now...however many runs he makes now it wont change that basic problem, so he's very unlikely to get a game again.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
bevan is no chance of a recall, plenty of other players making runs too, im happy enough with him not playing again...

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
but will lehmann be around for the next world cup. if he is he'll be ripe. I'm sure if given the oppurtunity to play internationals again Bevan would be around for the next World Cup.

I tend to agree with vic orthodox in that he wasn't popular enough in the dressing room

Simon

i guess it was more than an age thing with Bevan, his fielding isnt as sharp as it used to be and he never bowls anymore, while lehmann bowls a bit here and there. Bevan has also been replaced pretty well by Symonds and Clarke...

Zeke

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
4 centuries in 10 days for Bevan.

Certainly earning his keep down here in Tassie.

tooextracool

International Coach
i find the way some of you speak of bevans age quite ridiculous. the man is not 40 years old, hes 34. stewart,walsh, waugh and alot of other people have played beyond 35. as ive said a billion times, you dont drop someone unless hes not performing, bevan certainly has shown that he can still perform....

Simon

tooextracool said:
i find the way some of you speak of bevans age quite ridiculous. the man is not 40 years old, hes 34. stewart,walsh, waugh and alot of other people have played beyond 35. as ive said a billion times, you dont drop someone unless hes not performing, bevan certainly has shown that he can still perform....
bit was he neccisarily performing better than Symonds or Clarke to have their spot?
and can you doubt the selectors decisions given our performances since he hasnt been there?

tooextracool

International Coach
broncoman said:
bit was he neccisarily performing better than Symonds or Clarke to have their spot?
and can you doubt the selectors decisions given our performances since he hasnt been there?
err when was clarke ever performing in ODIs? one series against zimbabwe doesnt make someone ODI class, let alone bevan class.....
in the same series in which bevan played in, not once did he out perform bevan.
as far as your selectors are concerned, we havent seen enough games against quality opposition to see how vital bevan was. but since bevan was dropped they've won 3 games and lost 1(not counting non test class opposition). and maybe just maybe they might have won that game against england if bevan had played in it.

Cloete

International Captain
Possibly, but NSW could certainly use him.

I think he deservers to be in the Aus squad.... but odds are he won't be, the old too old scenario is ocming out again. Funny how it never happened to Steve Waugh in the tests...

Simon

tooextracool said:
err when was clarke ever performing in ODIs? one series against zimbabwe doesnt make someone ODI class, let alone bevan class.....
as far as your selectors are concerned, we havent seen enough games against quality opposition to see how vital bevan was. but since bevan was dropped they've won 3 games and lost 1(not counting non test class opposition). and maybe just maybe they might have won that game against england if bevan had played in it.
Clarke did pretty well in a one day series in India, stop living in the past, Clarke is player of the future and some ******s on this forum need to put their stubborness in the kit bag and admit clarke is a fantastic prospect and is worthy of a place in both the test and one day sides...

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
M Clarke ODI's

39 no WI
75 no WI
55 no WI
39 WI
70 NZ
44 no IND
63 IND
42 IND
33 no IND
31 no SL
42 IND
42 ENG

34 matches ave 40.9runs 17wickets @ 29

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
no one is doubting clarkes ability, he is the future of australian cricket and if he is just a taste of what the youth of australian cricket is then we are in a very healthy situation, the fact that australia let bevo go (me being one of his biggest fans) was a very sour selction but with symonds an clarke coming through and doing so well , some on ehad to make way and the fact that bevan has saved australia so many times, i think the aussies will miss that part of his game but someone else will miss out, the arguement that bevo was let go cause of age and that he wont be tehre next world cup then why is lehman there, he aint getting younger, his fielding has alot to be desired sometimes and there is plenty of youth awaiting a chance but in saying that lehman is a quality player and gives the experience that the younger guys need.......all in all australian cricket is going to keep on pumping other international cricket teams for years to come......nsw did a stupid thing by letting bevan go and they have no one but them selves to blame, i am a massive bevan fan and a massive nsw fan but it is great to see bevo going well for his newly adopted home in tassy............

i think a few board members need to take a few notes when you have a plyaer like bevo and he says i will stay in nsw but i want a coaching job after cricket, just say yes and worry about it when he retires, tassy said yes and look how they are travelling...... maybe the bulldogs are thinking the same way with steve price and the warriors........

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
Clarke has actually been pretty good in ODIs, for your information.