• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan? A Chance for recall?

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
Well if you want to bring up the TVS cup, Clarke actually bailed Australia out a few times too. Especially the final. He saved Australia's **** from certain doom then.
and go count the number of times bevan save australia in the same series.....bevan has out performed clarke even when he was out of form, and yet some people think clarke has been putting pressure on him

tooextracool

International Coach
Nnanden said:
i dont see how vaughans "crapness" has anything to do with this, but if you do.
vaughan has played 56 matches and of those batted 54 times. he has a batting average of 25. he has a strike-rate of 68. he has had a long time to prove himself. he is the captain!

the two can not be compared.
no it doesnt, i was merely reflecting on one of the posts that was suggesting that singling out a few good performances proves something...

bryce

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
To be brutally honest, I'd pick Lehmann over Hayden any day for ODIs. But I rate Marto more than Boof as an ODI opener.

I think the ODI team is good as it is right now: sans Bevan.
i think martyn was under used as an odi opener and the stats agree 7 innings, 415 runs@103.75 including two centuries, but hayden is a pretty decent odi opener at the moment anyway and i agree that the odi team is fine as it is anyway.

bryce

International Regular
seems lehmann has had simialr success opening, 4 innings, 287 runs@143.50 with one century, the opening odi positions in australia must be the most coveted batting spots in the team!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Slow Love™ said:
Where are you getting this from?
read his books. watch the way he plays his cricket. listen to past players (e.g. allan border) talk about him. talk to other cricketers who have played with and against him. one could also point out his obsession with the gym as a possible sign of self-absorbtion. the way that he tried to deal with the short ball problem, much of this through simple self-denial.

i think that the major factor in his dropping was the change in leadership, with ponting not having as much faith in bevan as steve waugh did, evidenced by the movement of symonds and clarke ahead of him in the batting order once ponting came in, while towards the end of steve waugh's reign, bevan was being given the chance to bat as high as 4

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
People have very short memories. If you remember watching Bevan last summer in the ODIs last season he was a shadow of his former self. He was slow, mistiming many shots and being selfish. A great player once, his time has come.

tooextracool

International Coach
mavric41 said:
People have very short memories. If you remember watching Bevan last summer in the ODIs last season he was a shadow of his former self. He was slow, mistiming many shots and being selfish. A great player once, his time has come.
amazing this. instead of accusing other people of short term memory how about going back and looking at some highlights from the tvs cup about a year and a half ago and then see what bevan did?
as far as the mistiming shots is concerned, have you ever heard of a loss of form? seriously 2 series, one of which he was ok and another in which he was poor doesnt make someone past it. and despite all of that poor form/past it, he still did a better job than clarke in the same series.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
amazing this. instead of accusing other people of short term memory how about going back and looking at some highlights from the tvs cup about a year and a half ago and then see what bevan did?
as far as the mistiming shots is concerned, have you ever heard of a loss of form? seriously 2 series, one of which he was ok and another in which he was poor doesnt make someone past it. and despite all of that poor form/past it, he still did a better job than clarke in the same series.
He didn't look out of form. He looked well past his prime.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Thought that might get your attention mate... ;)

The thing about Hayden is that he scores terribly slowly at the start of his innings, but once in a few games goes on to post a massive score to keep that average up. Is that what we want from our openers? (Serious question)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
He didn't look out of form. He looked well past his prime.
mistimed shots can only be because of out of form than being past his prime. if he was past his prime, please explain to me why hes scoring runs in domestic cricket ATM?
or is aussie domestic cricket complete rubbish that anyone can score runs in it?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
mistimed shots can only be because of out of form than being past his prime. if he was past his prime, please explain to me why hes scoring runs in domestic cricket ATM?
or is aussie domestic cricket complete rubbish that anyone can score runs in it?
It could be a psychological thing.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
Thought that might get your attention mate... ;)

The thing about Hayden is that he scores terribly slowly at the start of his innings, but once in a few games goes on to post a massive score to keep that average up. Is that what we want from our openers? (Serious question)

I don't see any need to break up the Gilly/Hayden partnership at the top of the innings. I disagree with Hayden scoring slowly, that may have been the case a year or two ago, but since the World Cup he has been a prolific scorer in ODIs and has scored quickly and some big runs. He is a far better option at opener than Lehmann, that is for sure.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
It could be a psychological thing.
the same person who has won games almost singlehandedly for australia and performed under pressure millions of times has psychological problems?
commone now, hes had 1 mediocre series and one bad one, but given the success hes had for years, id say he deserves more chances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
on the other side you could say bevan had only really had 1 good series since 01/02....

Clarek on the other hand while not always scoring heavily with the bat, usually batting quite low down the order and getting out going after quick runs.... also contributes both with the ball and in the field. he has also formed a formidable combo with symonds with the bat. his batting SR of 90 is also very nice :cool:
Yes, Clarke contributes in the field all the time - regularly drops simple catches and fumbles balls that should be rolling into his hands.
To compare him with Symonds as a fielder is a rather grotesque insult to Symonds. Symonds is one of the best fielders I've ever seen. Clarke is like Solanki and Vaughan - because he can take the odd stunner and moves well at times (and because he's a natural athlete), his fairly regular (and appallingly poor) mistakes are generally overlooked and he is branded an excellent fielder.
And to consider either of their bowling virtues in selection is rather stupid.
There'd not be much more enjoyable, come the VB Series, than seeing Clarke drop a couple of clangers that play a huge part in losing matches, and seeing the Symonds combination cut down.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Yes, Clarke contributes in the field all the time - regularly drops simple catches and fumbles balls that should be rolling into his hands.
To compare him with Symonds as a fielder is a rather grotesque insult to Symonds. Symonds is one of the best fielders I've ever seen. Clarke is like Solanki and Vaughan - because he can take the odd stunner and moves well at times (and because he's a natural athlete), his fairly regular (and appallingly poor) mistakes are generally overlooked and he is branded an excellent fielder.
And to consider either of their bowling virtues in selection is rather stupid.
There'd not be much more enjoyable, come the VB Series, than seeing Clarke drop a couple of clangers that play a huge part in losing matches, and seeing the Symonds combination cut down.
Clarke has dropped a few tough chances (and some not so tough chances) in the slips cordon because he is not a natural or experienced slip fielder. If you knew anything about him at all, you'd realize he is far more talented in gully or point. Not to mention he is excellent in the outfield.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
to be fair, clarke,while not brilliant, is nowhere near as bad a fielder as you make him out to be.
symonds on the other hand is special, IMO hes the best fielder in the aussie side(yes even better than ponting).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah hes dropped a few catches and fumbles the ball abit. no more than any other good fielders. Symonds and Ponting are among the best fielders in history so i would say its not really fair tyo compare him to them. also as its been said hes not really a slip fielder either.

not to consider possible bowling options when selecting would be stupid.

just cause you dont like him.... i think your jealous :p