• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan? A Chance for recall?

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
telsor said:
The theory is that Bevan wont be around for the next WC, so it's time to make the changes now...however many runs he makes now it wont change that basic problem, so he's very unlikely to get a game again.
I will have to disagree. I am a certified Bevan fan and was shocked to see him go after the 03 World Cup. He almost singlehandedly saved Australia on two occassion and the selectors repaid this effort by dropping him.

If the selectors wish to invest in youth at the expense of senior players such as Bevan, Bichel etc then they are not doing so with any consistency, a statement supported by Katich's dropping in favour of Lehmann despite the priors better performance in India.

With Bevan's vein of form in the domestic series I believe he deserves a recall. The 06 WC is a long way away and whilst plans should be made for that date, players should not be ignored in the short term simply because they are deemed to be too old by the time 2006 rolls by.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as said before the dropping of bevan also inludes the fact the only does one of the three parts of cricket to any sort of acceptable level now....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the main reason why Lehmann is still in the One Day side and Bevan isn't is because of his leadership abilities. (Let's face it, without he and Gilchrist there, we'd be in a lot of trouble). He also can bowl a bit, and despite not being the best fielder, is a much better fielder than Bevan. However, if Lehmann makes the one day side this season, it may be his last season.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
if bevan was an easy guy to get along with, and wasn't wrapped up in himself, then he would still be in the team.

thats why lehmann is there and bevan isn't. simple.

Slow Love™

International Captain
To be honest, I don't think I would have him in my one-day squad. I genuinely can't see where I'd fit him in.

IMO, Bevan's been very poorly treated in terms of test cricket for many years now. Somewhere along the line, a perception was arrived at that he would never be any good to the short-pitched ball. I do think he had issues with this initially, but like Robin Smith of England, he overcame them - I honestly don't think he could have survived at first-class level without doing this, and in domestic cricket, he faces up to a lot of short stuff, and he's still making big scores. He really belonged in the test side some years ago, but got leapfrogged by other players because of this perception. I think he could have made a great test cricketer.

Because the Aussie one-day side is so dominant now, there isn't really a place for him in it. Yes, he's extraordinary when the Aussies are in trouble, but the Aussies seem to either rarely be in trouble these days, or they blast their way out of it with Clarke and Symonds and co. While Bevan was good at maintaining a run-a-ball scoring rate, you can't argue against the inclusion of players that can score at much faster rates. His game is more suited to the longer version, but I can't see the selectors ever giving him a go in the test side either (and the question remains, who would you drop to accommodate him?). So he's pretty much trapped between two worlds.

I think he's completely off the national selectors' radar these days. Which is sad, because he's an extremely talented player with one of the best cricketing brains in the business.

tooextracool

International Coach
broncoman said:
Clarke did pretty well in a one day series in India, stop living in the past, Clarke is player of the future and some ******s on this forum need to put their stubborness in the kit bag and admit clarke is a fantastic prospect and is worthy of a place in both the test and one day sides...
you do realise that not once ive said that clarke is not a fantastic prospect do you? or that he isnt worthy of a place in the test side?
and yes i do know that he performed in one series against india, remind me again what hes done since then will you? hes been dismal in every other series bar the one against zimbabwe if that proves anything. bevan even when he was out of form was a better player than clarke in those series. and bevan in fact averaged about twice as much as clarke did in that same serie in india, yet of course we must drop bevan and pick clarke ahead of him despite the fact that clarke has not out-performed bevan at any point of his career.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
M Clarke ODI's

39 no WI
75 no WI
55 no WI
39 WI
70 NZ
44 no IND
63 IND
42 IND
33 no IND
31 no SL
42 IND
42 ENG

34 matches ave 40.9runs 17wickets @ 29
michael vaughan ODIs
63 vs ind
43 vs ind
59 vs NZ
60 vs aus
52 vs pak
83 vs SA
67 vs WI
74 vs ind
86 vs aus

successful ODI career? i think not....

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
Clarke has actually been pretty good in ODIs, for your information.
oh he has has he? then why do i have to look back 1.5 years to look at his last successful series?
look at it whatever way you want, bevan was dropped on the basis of one poor series and one ordinary one, yet clarke has done even worse in those series and people are going on here about how clarke was putting pressure on bevans spot in ODIs....

tooextracool

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Because the Aussie one-day side is so dominant now, there isn't really a place for him in it. Yes, he's extraordinary when the Aussies are in trouble, but the Aussies seem to either rarely be in trouble these days, or they blast their way out of it with Clarke and Symonds and co. While Bevan was good at maintaining a run-a-ball scoring rate, you can't argue against the inclusion of players that can score at much faster rates.
we've only seen 4 games against quality opposition without bevan, we'll find out pretty soon how well they'll do without them. if the aussies are rarely in trouble then please explain to me what happened in the icc championship against england, or in the tvs cup when bevan had to bail them out on several occasions....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
oh he has has he? then why do i have to look back 1.5 years to look at his last successful series?
look at it whatever way you want, bevan was dropped on the basis of one poor series and one ordinary one, yet clarke has done even worse in those series and people are going on here about how clarke was putting pressure on bevans spot in ODIs....

on the other side you could say bevan had only really had 1 good series since 01/02....

Clarek on the other hand while not always scoring heavily with the bat, usually batting quite low down the order and getting out going after quick runs.... also contributes both with the ball and in the field. he has also formed a formidable combo with symonds with the bat. his batting SR of 90 is also very nice :cool:

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
on the other side you could say bevan had only really had 1 good series since 01/02....:
what the hell are you talking about?
bevan has had 6 good series since 01/02....

age_master said:
Clarek on the other hand while not always scoring heavily with the bat, usually batting quite low down the order and getting out going after quick runs....:
i can assure you that bevan wasnt batting too high up the order either. its also interesting how when bevan averages 53 ish people say its because he bats down the order and gets a lot of not outs, yet when clarke gets to do the same the converse is applied to him.

age_master said:
also contributes both with the ball and in the field. he has also formed a formidable combo with symonds with the bat. his batting SR of 90 is also very nice :cool:
trust me you dont drop what is IMO the best ODI batsman ever for that....

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
we've only seen 4 games against quality opposition without bevan, we'll find out pretty soon how well they'll do without them. if the aussies are rarely in trouble then please explain to me what happened in the icc championship against england, or in the tvs cup when bevan had to bail them out on several occasions....
Well if you want to bring up the TVS cup, Clarke actually bailed Australia out a few times too. Especially the final. He saved Australia's **** from certain doom then.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
michael vaughan ODIs
63 vs ind
43 vs ind
59 vs NZ
60 vs aus
52 vs pak
83 vs SA
67 vs WI
74 vs ind
86 vs aus

successful ODI career? i think not....
i dont see how vaughans "crapness" has anything to do with this, but if you do.
vaughan has played 56 matches and of those batted 54 times. he has a batting average of 25. he has a strike-rate of 68. he has had a long time to prove himself. he is the captain!

the two can not be compared.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
the batting line up should be
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Bevan
Symonds....
after that you don't really need anyone.

Slow Love™

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
if bevan was an easy guy to get along with, and wasn't wrapped up in himself, then he would still be in the team.

thats why lehmann is there and bevan isn't. simple.
Where are you getting this from?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
the batting line up should be
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Bevan
Symonds....
after that you don't really need anyone.
lehmann and martyn not good enough for u?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
lehmann and martyn not good enough for u?
To be brutally honest, I'd pick Lehmann over Hayden any day for ODIs. But I rate Marto more than Boof as an ODI opener.

I think the ODI team is good as it is right now: sans Bevan.