• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes that HAVE to be made in the Indian team?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TendulkarFan said:
As opposed to adjusting and improving to a point where they are better than most sides?

Thanks for the advice anyways.
There's improving by slight modification and then there's calling for the heads of just about every member of the team.

If we saw more of the former it'd help the team IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
evertime india loses any series there are 100 threads for what changes need to be made to the indian team and when they win, theres talk about whether they are the no 2 team in the world......

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
evertime india loses any series there are 100 threads for what changes need to be made to the indian team and when they win, theres talk about whether they are the no 2 team in the world......
:D :D

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
There's improving by slight modification and then there's calling for the heads of just about every member of the team.

If we saw more of the former it'd help the team IMO.
Completely agree with you 100%.

However as I said earlier, it doesn't really matter what the fans think either way.

TendulkarFan said:
Regardless though, you have to have the betterment of the Indian cricket at heart in order to improve it. The shameless, corrupt, money-grabbing bureaucrats that we have at the helm of Indian cricket doesn't give me one iota of hope. They have always relied on the skill of individual players to win them games and will continue to do so.

NikhilN

International Regular
marc71178 said:
For me it'd have to be stop over-reacting to being beaten by the better side.
And whats the reason they are the better side? What do you think the point of this thread is? It is to make India the better side!

masterblaster

International Captain
Dropping Gambhir and Karthik opening would be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. Give your players some faith that your going to stick with them. Karthik may be a handy batsman, but he's no opener.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anil said:
after what has happened over the past 3 months or so, if he is still in what you call a comfort zone, he must be regularly smoking something pretty powerful....he has been challenged and has been found wanting, both as a batsman and a leader.....the only reason why he is in the team and at the helm is that the situation is so pitiful that we don't have an adequate replacement for him as a captain......but regarding your other suggestions about the same base salary for all 11 players is good...just like bonuses for good performance, there should also be penalties for poor and/or irresponsible ones....
I don't know where all you guys are coming up with this "Sourav has not performed" thing. Now, I am reeling off these numbers off the top of my head, and while I think they are very close to the actual numbers, they may not be exactly accurate. But these are his test scores since the beginning of last season:

100+ & 30 odd Vs NZ ( and the 30 odd was when we were trying to score quick runs and declare.

144 & DNB vs Australia @ Brisbane

3 & 2 Vs Australia @ Adelaide (that 3 was when he was ran out by Rahul. Don't ask me why, even experts said it was Rahul's fault and you would know it if you had watched the match.)

40 and 70 odd Vs Australia @ Melbourne

11 Vs Australia @ Sydney (when once again, we were looking for quick runs as we were in a great position)

77 Vs Pakistan (coming back from injury)

45 and 9 Vs Australia @ Bangalore (he was the second highest scorer in the INdian first innings and was ran out by Rahul once again the second.)

5 Vs Australia @ Chennai

57 Vs SA @ Kanpur

So, in all, I can see only 4 failures, both innings at Adelaide (one dismissal was not his fault.) and the second innings at Bangalore (it was 50% his fault and 50% Rahul's) and first innings at Chennai. I don't think his form is as bad as you guys make it out to be.

What I do agree, however, is that his captaincy seems to have lost that aggressive edge. This continuing bad run seems to have cast some doubts about his ability within Sourav, with the result that he is not as confident and as aggressive as he is usually. For that reason, I feel he could do with a break, but otherwise, as a batter, he has been decent enough form.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TendulkarFan said:
For starters, they have to get rid of that ridiculously lop-sided contract system. It clearly demonstrates an old-boys club mentality - once you get to the top level you are allowed to rest on your laurels. Implement a contract system where the base salary is in the same range (300,000 up or down at the most) for all of them but performance bonuses are huge. If Kaif averages 45 in a series and Tendulkar averages 30, Kaif should be richer coming out of that series. There should be bonuses depending on team performance - if the team wins, they all get rewarded bigger bonus cheques so they put the team performance ahead of individual ones. Granted this may not be the perfect system but money is, has been and always will be the biggest motivator.

As far as personnel go, I don't see many problems talentwise. More than half the team (Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Kumble & Harbhajan) are world class players. They all just have to be motivated to perform towards the same goal to the best of their abilities. Maybe Ganguly does need to be rocked out of his comfort zone - he is a fighter and still in his prime. If challenged, I think he will rediscover himself as a batsman and as a leader.

Regardless though, you have to have the betterment of the Indian cricket at heart in order to improve it. The shameless, corrupt, money-grabbing bureaucrats that we have at the helm of Indian cricket doesn't give me one iota of hope. They have always relied on the skill of individual players to win them games and will continue to do so.
For the most part, I agree with you completely.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I don't know where all you guys are coming up with this "Sourav has not performed" thing. Now, I am reeling off these numbers off the top of my head, and while I think they are very close to the actual numbers, they may not be exactly accurate. But these are his test scores since the beginning of last season:

100+ & 30 odd Vs NZ ( and the 30 odd was when we were trying to score quick runs and declare.

144 & DNB vs Australia @ Brisbane

3 & 2 Vs Australia @ Adelaide (that 3 was when he was ran out by Rahul. Don't ask me why, even experts said it was Rahul's fault and you would know it if you had watched the match.)

40 and 70 odd Vs Australia @ Melbourne

11 Vs Australia @ Sydney (when once again, we were looking for quick runs as we were in a great position)

77 Vs Pakistan (coming back from injury)

45 and 9 Vs Australia @ Bangalore (he was the second highest scorer in the INdian first innings and was ran out by Rahul once again the second.)

5 Vs Australia @ Chennai

57 Vs SA @ Kanpur

So, in all, I can see only 4 failures, both innings at Adelaide (one dismissal was not his fault.) and the second innings at Bangalore (it was 50% his fault and 50% Rahul's) and first innings at Chennai. I don't think his form is as bad as you guys make it out to be.

What I do agree, however, is that his captaincy seems to have lost that aggressive edge. This continuing bad run seems to have cast some doubts about his ability within Sourav, with the result that he is not as confident and as aggressive as he is usually. For that reason, I feel he could do with a break, but otherwise, as a batter, he has been decent enough form.
I dont agree not all was Rahul's fault in running him out...u cant clap with only one hand...also I dont know of those figures,they might b true,but as one pathetic commentator puts it...Statistics hide more than they reveal.
Obviously it looks like u r one of Saurav's fans,thats cool but if Saurav's test record is enough to cement his place in the team,then Agarkar should have been a regular in the ODI 11...and Saurav's ODI record recently...not good...
I m not saying he should be outta the team forever,but needs to quit as captain...he shows too much partiality towards some players and overlooks some others...for example with Zaheer's bowling figures in this match,he will still play the next match,but if it'd have been Agarkar in his place he would have been out of next test...Its always been like this.I could emphasize my point even more but...I dont have the statistics nor have the time to find them.
Member of AAAS or not,everyone will quietly agree with the above...What say you...

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How come do you think then that Agarkar is still in the scheme of things for India? We all know that he ain't much good in tests. In ODIs, he is still pretty good. Plus, Zaheer didn't bowl badly in this match at all.

masterblaster

International Captain
Agarkar will always be in contention for ODI's which is good, because he's always been a very handy ODI player. In test matches Agarkar lacks the patience and discipline and control with both bat and ball, and I dont think he deserves his place in the test side. But in ODI's they should pick him in every 16 or 18 man squad.

bryce

International Regular
honestbharani is ironically being honest, though it seems that ganguly has been out of form(i'll admit i thought that aswell) it seems if anything he actually has been batting quite well(despite the aussie failures),

Ganguly's Test Career up to the New Zealand Series:
4088 runs@41.71, 9 hundreds, 20 fifties

Ganguly's 8 Matches since the New Zealand Series:
545 runs@49.55, 2 hundreds, 2 fifties

but it is also worth noting that after Ganguly's first 32 Test Matches(he has played 75 to date) he averaged 50.31 and he scored seven of his 11 centuries in that time period.

masterblaster

International Captain
That only shows that the captaincy has affected his batting, and as he's gotten older obviously he hasn't gotten better.

The eyes aren't as sharp, the reflexes aren't as sharp as they once more, the fluency has dropped from his batting. But that's happened to all captains throughout their careers, but he's not playing badly is Ganguly I dont know why people all of a sudden are asking him to be dropped.

Maybe it's because Mohammad Kaif has been doing so well and Ganguly's captaincy hasn't been imaginitive at all.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
How come do you think then that Agarkar is still in the scheme of things for India? We all know that he ain't much good in tests. In ODIs, he is still pretty good. Plus, Zaheer didn't bowl badly in this match at all.
Whatever