Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Should "home" umpires be re-introduced into test cricket?

  1. #1
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080

    Should "home" umpires be re-introduced into test cricket?

    Tony Grieg, Mark Taylor and Ian Smith have been arguing this morning during the coverage of the Aus v NZ test that home umpires should make a return to test cricket, and they're saying that the experiment of having "neutral" umpires has failed.

    I think it's been prompted by the idea that Aleem Dar (who has rejected some close LBW calls) doesn't understand Australian pitches, and thinks the ball is going over the top (on an LBW call) when it isn't.

    I'm inclined to disagree. Firstly, because I don't think that those arguing it would accept this rationale for subcontinental umpires umpiring in the subcontinent (and I disagree with one rule for some, and another for everybody else), and secondly, because the current arrangement is largely in place to offset "allegations" of national bias, as much as attempt to deal with the bias itself.

    What are people's opinions on this?
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    You will never get two sets of supporters to agree on the umpiring (yes that includes the Aussies) its hard to accept bad decisions that go against your team but all to easy to forget decisions that go your way. Whatever whoever umpires will allways end it tears.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    No Way man. I think all these armchair experts are making things much more difficult for umpires. I dont how they can say that the concept of neutral umpring has failed, They should look at the some of those past series and see how biased home umpires used to be in the favor of home team.

    I will take a bad decision over a biased decision any day.

  4. #4
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,532
    Great post Scallywag.

    Why bother? The whole idea of removing home umpires was to remove allegations of home bias, and it has worked. The only allegations of bias (on this board and from what I've hear in conversations with people) have been against Bucknor, and that's all. No one else has really complained about bias. We've complained about bad umpiring, but there's obviously been no malice involved.

    It'd be a step backwards in my opinion, and I don't think Aleem Dar has done badly. I reckon he's done pretty well, especially his handling of the Warne situation.

    As I type this, Bucknor made a pretty bad decision against McCullum with a caught behind. Now if that was an Aussie umpire, allegations may arise. But since it's not, I'm sure it'll be passed as "Oh well, bad umpiring happens". The removal of home umpires was a rare good move by the ICC.

    I'd also like to add that Mark Taylor's commentary regarding the issue was stupid. "The team that plays aggressively usually gets the decisions going their way". Says who? That's just plain stupid really.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.


  5. #5
    State Vice-Captain Crazy Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,191
    i actually totally agree with tony greig and co. As they said, it is a farce that umpires such as Simon Taufel are overseas so often, it wouldn't surprise me if he retired well before his time.

    I think the best thing the ICC did was establish an 'Elite panel' of umpires. Surely if they are professional then bias shouldn't come into it?? Granted there were a few Australian umpires a couple of years ago who made ordinary calls but they wouldn't have made the panel, and some of the umpires that have been to Australia have been very dreadful since.

    I think 1 home, 1 international is fair enough.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

  6. #6
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Sam
    i actually totally agree with tony greig and co. As they said, it is a farce that umpires such as Simon Taufel are overseas so often, it wouldn't surprise me if he retired well before his time.

    I think the best thing the ICC did was establish an 'Elite panel' of umpires. Surely if they are professional then bias shouldn't come into it?? Granted there were a few Australian umpires a couple of years ago who made ordinary calls but they wouldn't have made the panel, and some of the umpires that have been to Australia have been very dreadful since.

    I think 1 home, 1 international is fair enough.
    so i guess if Ashoka deSilva at one end gives 8 Aussies out and Bucknor gives two of them out against SL, no one will whinge about the nationality of Ashoka ?


  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,652
    In principle it sounds like a decent idea. The authorities just have to ignore all the muckrakers who want a new conspiracy theory to latch on to, and the others who just want a reason to excuse their teams inadequacies.

    The bottom line is that the top umpires do not get to the top by being biased. It's up to those in charge of appointing the umpires to make sure that they are impartial and up to the job. If they are, there's nothing to be concerned about.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    so i guess if Ashoka deSilva at one end gives 8 Aussies out and Bucknor gives two of them out against SL, no one will whinge about the nationality of Ashoka ?

    Change that to
    so i guess if Ashoka deSilva at one end gives 8 Indians out and Bucknor gives two of them out against SL, they will whinge about bucknor.


    Aussies dont complain about the umpires. Try and prove me wrong.

  9. #9
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Aussies dont complain about the umpires. Try and prove me wrong.
    No they just complain about the pitches instead --


    They're substandard if they lose (e.g Mumbai) but if they win (e.g Darwin v SL) they're perfectly acceptable.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRose
    No they just complain about the pitches instead --


    They're substandard if they lose (e.g Mumbai) but if they win (e.g Darwin v SL) they're perfectly acceptable.
    Get your facts right englishrose, Ponting made that statement before the third day when Australia was in the better position, but your jealousy of our success will allways blind you to the facts now wont it.

    Still being flogged repeatedly by Australia seems to take away englands ability to see things as they are.

  11. #11
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,859
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    so i guess if Ashoka deSilva at one end gives 8 Aussies out and Bucknor gives two of them out against SL, no one will whinge about the nationality of Ashoka ?
    It depends if it were 8 genuine dismissals or not.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  12. #12
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Get your facts right englishrose, Ponting made that statement before the third day when Australia was in the better position, but your jealousy of our success will allways blind you to the facts now wont it.

    Oh, the facts on here you mean?

    The whinging was disgraceful, but for some reason you weren't around - unfortunately, you're like a bad smell that won't go away permanently.

  13. #13
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    272
    I think that if they reintroduced 'home' umpires, the decisions they make would probably be better on average for just the reasons mentioned.

    I also think that there would be MORE complaints about the umpires.

    In an ideal world, where people accepted the umpires decision as final ( as it says it the rules ), it would be a good idea.....as it is, it's not a good idea.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Oh, the facts on here you mean?

    The whinging was disgraceful, but for some reason you weren't around - unfortunately, you're like a bad smell that won't go away permanently.
    Bad smells are a occupational hazard for those with their head up their ****.

  15. #15
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Change that to
    so i guess if Ashoka deSilva at one end gives 8 Indians out and Bucknor gives two of them out against SL, they will whinge about bucknor.


    Aussies dont complain about the umpires. Try and prove me wrong.
    Yup, gives 8 indians/aussies/windians/englishmen etc etc out.......applies to all.
    I can bring up the 1980s to show that the Aussies can be world class whingers too.
    Simple human psychology is, when you are winning, you tend not to whinge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. cricket 2004 what do you think? EA or no way
    By DAN THE MAN in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-06-2004, 08:54 PM
  2. The State Of Umpiring In The WCC!
    By Eyes_Only in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29-06-2002, 12:30 AM
  3. RSC Test Cricket
    By Lach in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2001, 04:56 AM
  4. Howzat?! Test Cricket Manager
    By Lach in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2001, 04:50 AM
  5. Test Cricket Simulator
    By Lach in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2001, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •