• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer a great cricketer

C_C

International Captain
you might wanna check the averages of all those men before you make that claim.....
you also need to check the quality of opposition they faced before you make that claim.
You also need to check their record against the best bowling attacks before you make that claim.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
you might wanna check the averages of all those men before you make that claim.....
you also need to check the quality of opposition they faced before you make that claim.
You also need to check their record against the best bowling attacks before you make that claim.
OK who were the great bowlers that Hunte faced.

C_C

International Captain
OK who were the great bowlers that Hunte faced.
thats an information thats easily available through crickinfo.....i suggest you look it up and then contrast langer's record against good/great bowlers.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
thats an information thats easily available through crickinfo.....i suggest you look it up and then contrast langer's record against good/great bowlers.
I didnt think you had any idea.

C_C

International Captain
and i think you are lazy.....why dont you look it up online, dude ?
do i HAVE to all your work for you ?

Good/great bowlers Hunte faced:

Fazal mahmood, Vinoo Mankad, Subhash Gupte, Trueman,Statham,Davidson,Benaud......

Note that Hunte did extremely well in certain series.....

Good/great bowlers Langer faced:
Akram (briefly- did well in 99/2000, sucked before that), Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop ( sucked mostly), did well against Donald and Pollock and did decently against Murali.....did okay against Kumble and Harby(sucked in India)

Difference: Hunte faced those quality bowlers for MOST of his matches....Langer cashed in on weaker opposition MOST of the time

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Vaughan 6 tests against AUS 5 losses and 1 dead rubber win
Vaughan 5 ODI's against AUS 4 losses and 1 win

Very impressive.
what a ridiculous argument, first you start off about how vaughan is mcgraths bunny despite the fact that he was the best player on both sides in his only series against them and has the highest average amongst all current batsmen against australia ATM.
then you shifted to how poor vaughans captaincy was despite the fact that hes undefeated against australia and won the only game that hes played against them with a far inferior side i might add. now for whatever stupid reasons you've decided to look at performance of the team when vaughan was not even captain against a far superior side.
and if we want to look at records against specific countries, lets talk about pontings oh so brilliant record in india shall we? when glenn mcgrath stands side by side with you in batting averages, you really wonder......
further with ponting in the aussie side, australia have lost 5 tests in india and won 2

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasn't anyone realised that arguing against Sacclywag is totally pointless?
There are always some obscure stats somewhere or other that supposedly prove what you want to believe.
Sacclywag is one of those legendary Aussies who can see only that Australians are great and the rest cannot ever possibly compare. Nothing anyone says can change that.
Even if Australia were to be thrashed 5-0 next summer, with England losing maybe 18 wickets all series, every bowler averaging over 60, and Langer having his off-stump knocked flat by Hoggard first-ball of all 10 innings, and every other batsman averaging in single-figures, there would be some part of the alphabet to blame for the lot of it. It can never be the case, in Sacclywag's mind, that Australian cricketers are not superior.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
There are always some obscure stats somewhere or other that supposedly prove what you want to believe.
Sacclywag is one of those legendary Aussies who can see only that Australians are great and the rest cannot ever possibly compare. Nothing anyone says can change that.
Even if Australia were to be thrashed 5-0 next summer, with England losing maybe 18 wickets all series, every bowler averaging over 60, and Langer having his off-stump knocked flat by Hoggard first-ball of all 10 innings, and every other batsman averaging in single-figures, there would be some part of the alphabet to blame for the lot of it. It can never be the case, in Sacclywag's mind, that Australian cricketers are not superior.
So what are you saying?.

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Richard said:

Hasn't anyone realised that arguing against Richard is totally pointless?

Nice to see the board set aflame, but totally meaningless...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
indie2 said:
Hasn't anyone realised that arguing against Richard is totally pointless?

Nice to see the board set aflame, but totally meaningless...
Except it's not - the most common tactic used against me is to misrepresent, or totally misunderstand, what I've said, and so make it look like I've said something totally stupid.
I've always listened to anything that makes sense - I don't listen to anything which is just an out-of-hand dismissal of something because it isn't orthodox.
And because one or two people are willing to go on and on and on on the same stuff, it can give the impression that I'm never willing to accept anything anyone else says - when, in fact, if no-one else said anything I'd not have anything to learn from.

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Richard said:
Except it's not - the most common tactic used against me is to misrepresent, or totally misunderstand, what I've said, and so make it look like I've said something totally stupid.
Seems to me, the most common tactic used against you is to disagree with you.

Haven't got a problem with you, personally, but it might be nice to admit the idea you might be wrong, sometimes...

Scallywag

Banned
Hey Richard Langer just scored another 50, isnt he just great, probably the best opener in the world wouldent you think?.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Hey Richard Langer just scored another 50, isnt he just great, probably the best opener in the world wouldent you think?.
Far from the best opener in the world. Far a start there's his partner, then there's a bloke in the opposition this game.

Throw in a bloke from India and that's 3 better than him.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Far from the best opener in the world. Far a start there's his partner, then there's a bloke in the opposition this game.

Throw in a bloke from India and that's 3 better than him.
Who? Sinclair? Richardson?

And Langer just scored a double ton.