• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer a great cricketer

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
I have allways thought how many many matches you play and the amount of runs you score were the only things that mattered in test cricket.
So why did you bring Strike Rate into it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
im afraid not, when you have a team filled with stroke makers, you definetly need a couple of players who can save a game for you too.
A point that so many people tend to overlook.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Scallywag said:
Averages is a combination of both matches played and runs scored and you need to see the two to understand the average.

Two players can have an average of 45 but if one player has played 78 innings compared to 14 you would give more credit to the player with 78 innings. Its not allways that black and white and its not to say one player is better than the other but it gives more perspective to what they have done.

Players can only score runs against the bowlers they face and its what you do when you play that matters.
I undersatdn that runs scored and matches played translate into averages.

But I dont take simple stats such as runs scored or matches played in when evaluating how good a player is/was.

If two players average the same, and faced the same qualit of opposition, and one has 78 innings and one has 14, I rate them both the same.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
So why did you bring Strike Rate into it?
Well if you read what I wrote Marc I gave a comparision between the two players stats. You point makes no sense at all except to say you want to find something to complain about.

Scallywag

Banned
Prince EWS said:
I undersatdn that runs scored and matches played translate into averages.

But I dont take simple stats such as runs scored or matches played in when evaluating how good a player is/was.

If two players average the same, and faced the same qualit of opposition, and one has 78 innings and one has 14, I rate them both the same.
No hassles with that Prince EWS, we just have different ways of evaluating players performances.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Taking the bait:

present day legends: McGrath Warne Tendulkar Dravid Inzamam Muralitharan Jayasuriya Lara and the Hayden/Langer partnership

present day greats: Hayden Langer (individual) Ponting Martyn Clarke Gillespie Sehwag Laxman Kumble Harbhajan Gayle Sangakkara Pollock Kallis Gibbs Harmison Flintoff Shoaib Youhana Fleming

Which is, of course, all totally inconsequential to this thread other than to put me firmly in the Langer Fan Camp. Which I am not ashamed to admit. He is my favourite cricketer, ooh yeah.
WOW !!

Now we can add the legends and the greats of this day and time and make two touring sides of 14 each of GREAT CRICKETERS !! Just imagine, all playing at the same time ?

FANTABULASTIC !!!!

PS : You think you could squeeze in a guy called Adam something Gilchrist. I mean he may not be as good as Sangakara in your books but it would help having two keepers in two all time great sides :p

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
err no, if anyone has benefitted from flat tracks and poor bowling its that man right there....
I think that pretty much makes the whole thread redundant then.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
I think that pretty much makes the whole thread redundant then.....
err no, there are several players even in the modern era who have proven that they can succeed against seamer friendly conditions and quality bowlers. even his opening partner has.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Scallywag said:
Haydens highest score in England against 197, out of three centuries against England
That wasn't in England - that was at the Gabba on a flat track when Hussain put us in after winning the toss.

And besides, he was dropped 3 times.

Scallywag

Banned
Jnr. said:
That wasn't in England - that was at the Gabba on a flat track when Hussain put us in after winning the toss.

And besides, he was dropped 3 times.
Yes thats the game when Hayden made two centries and England lost 20 wickets for 375runs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SirBloody Idiot said:
I disagree about Richardson being better then Langer.
SirBloody Idiot, get your butt into the Off Topic forum and post in the Official Pro-Wrestling Thread ;) If I remember correctly you were the guy that backed me up against all the Triple H lovers, so get in there. :p

Steulen

International Regular
SJS said:
WOW !!

Now we can add the legends and the greats of this day and time and make two touring sides of 14 each of GREAT CRICKETERS !! Just imagine, all playing at the same time ?

FANTABULASTIC !!!!

PS : You think you could squeeze in a guy called Adam something Gilchrist. I mean he may not be as good as Sangakara in your books but it would help having two keepers in two all time great sides :p
Okay, add Gilchrist to the legends :Jumpy:

So what's the problem with there bein al ot of great cricekters aorund? there are a lot mroe cricketers around now than when just some skinny white boys sialed the oceans to club some balls every two years, stands to reason there are more GREAT cricketers as well.

I really can't see who will not be considered a legend from that list. Admittedly the great list is part speculation, but still...

Just because the level of cricket is high, doesn't mean those who play it suk :wacko:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Shoaib is so full of sh*t. Hes not the one whos gonna be targeting Hayden, Hayden's the one whos gonna be targeting Shoaib's head with a flat straight drive for 4.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Just because the level of cricket is high, doesn't mean those who play it suk :wacko:
I beg your pardon. I stand corrected. If the only three types of cricketers we have are the legends, the greats and those who suk (sic), I agree 75% of international cricketers today are either greats or legends. :D

Scallywag

Banned
KennyD said:
Shoaib is so full of sh*t. Hes not the one whos gonna be targeting Hayden, Hayden's the one whos gonna be targeting Shoaib's head with a flat straight drive for 4.
I think its great that he is targetting Hayden. A good chance to see how the Aussies react to this type of intimidation. If Shoiab does get the better of Hayden then we can expect the Poms to line up a few batsmen for targetting.
Hayden also has an added dimension to this series now he is a target.