• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Referring to various points raised in this post.

I also backed Key to come in this year, just a shame it's because Banger is out.

Knight has topped the 1000 as well (now), and has only played 7 FC matches, owing to his England duties in the Natwest. I'm unsure if anyone has done it in less matches?

Butcher's customary position for me is opening, but he's converted himself into a number 3 in the last 15 months. Indeed, he is one of the heaviest run scores in the last 15 months in Test Cricket (3rd I believe), yet is still ranked in the 30's by PwC, which confuses me!

Harmison has been injured, hence only 4 matches.

Personally I would have gone for Giles ahead of one of the seamers, as 5 is overkill in my view, and there is always the option of Butcher if we're desparate. As for Hussain's bowling, in 1989 he was being touted as the best Leg spinner we'd produced in yers, but not too good as a batsman...

Tendulkar Mark 2 is just awesome :X

India should now score atleast 450 runs and try and enforce a followon.England are in a tight spot and their baldie captain will be plcking his hairs off his head :D

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Yes it would be disappointing to see them get any less then 400-450. A good first innings score(in good time) is definitely a ticket to good showing overall in the test match.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't hold your breath, guys, but I live 12 miles from Trent Bridge and it has been raining steadily for most of the night - and still is now.

The sky signs some sign of brightening a little, but I think it most unlikely we will get any play for some time.

Prospects for the weekend don't look that good either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If England make 1 more breakthrough we're into the tailenders already!

So 250 may be on the cards if the weather settles, and certainly I'd be disappinted if they get more than 300.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's amazing how, a fortnight ago, people were writing India off after one performance.

Here we are now in the second test, and we've had two sessions of play. England started well (well, Hoggard did) and at 34-2, had the edge. Lunch came with the sides even, I reckon. First session drawn. The afternoon session definitely belonged to India.

Last night, there was a huge volume of posts on this site suggesting that not only had we seen the light at the end of the tunnel, but that India had actually emerged into the bright dawn of a brave new world.

Let's wait and see.

Rich2001

International Captain
Well just to let you know, Play has finaly started on Day 2 (2:30pm)

And the ball is still swinging around alot :D

Rich2001

International Captain
YEPPIE, VVS Laxman departs for 22, bowled Flintoff and R.Key takes his second catch at 1st slip

:D :D :D :D

Score now 218/5

Ajit Agarkar is the new batsman

Rich2001

International Captain
S.Ganguly has just reached his 50 in 164mins and took 99 balls inculding 8 4's

Latest score 248/5

Rich2001

International Captain
Ajit Agarkar OUT for 34 from 39 balls taking 75 mins

That wicket also bought S.Harmison his first ever test wicket, and leaves the score on 285/6

The new batsman is the 17 year old wicketkeeper Patel (who looks about 12!)

LOL I just said he looks about 12, and on TV, Richie Benaud just said and I quote. There's not much of him...He is only just about twice the hight of the stumps :cheesy:

Oh and as I type his GONE...Harmison takes his second wicket in Tests

P.Patel goes for a Debut Duck, 8 balls bowled by Harmison caught by Flintoff

TEA is now being taken and after tea H.Singh will be the new batsman joining the captain who's 68*

[Edited on 8/9/02 by Rich2001]

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like the Indian innings is taking a familiar route. Ganguly is playing a responsible back-to-the-wall innings, but not much support left. We might cross 300, but unless Harbhajan and/or Khan displays some new-found patience and Ganguly continues the good work, I can't see much beyond 310-320...

Rich2001

International Captain
Looks like the Indian innings is taking a familiar route. Ganguly is playing a responsible back-to-the-wall innings, but not much support left. We might cross 300, but unless Harbhajan and/or Khan displays some new-found patience and Ganguly continues the good work, I can't see much beyond 310-320...
Mate I wouldn't be too dissapointed, according to all the members of the commentary team, the pitch doesn't seem to be as good for batting as first thought, and the ball is swinging around like mad at the momment and the conditions are very overcast with will help your openers (bowlers) who are very cable of swinging the ball, from what I have seen

Rich2001

International Captain
Well Sourav Gangualy has gone, but it should never have been out the ball hit half way up his arm

S.Ganguly c Stewart b Hoggard 68 (149b 11x4 0x6) SR: 45.64

That's now 3 wickets in 18 balls

Latest score

302/8 - Z.Khan is the new batsman

Harbhajan Singh - 13*
Z Khan 1*

light rain - Stops play

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I guess. The Indian bowlers, though will have to give a much better and more disciplined performance than the 1st test to make an impact or England will run away with the match....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
India should now score atleast 450 runs and try and enforce a followon.England are in a tight spot and their baldie captain will be plcking his hairs off his head

A brave statement, but one which has no substance in fact.

A score under 350 now seems extremely likely, but I still think that England will be hard-pushed to make that.

Today's play has been about even-steven, so that makes it 1 session to India and 2 drawn (which I think that this game will eventually end in).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The advantage England have though is that we're used to the conditions, and the Indians aren't. I wouldn't be surprised to see us score 400+ and send them in for a tricky spell on the last day.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
400... don't think so. Pitch isn't really good for batting.. 275-325 that should be what England will get..

302 is quite good i feel, under the conditions, if India bowl fairly well.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still going to be a draw, though, I expect.

I expect tomorrow to be very similar to today, with murky light, drizzle and all the other wonderful weather which typifies an English 'summer'.

Can anyone on this site lipread? Just what WAS going on between Ganguly and Hussain? They both looked like a couple of pillocks to me with the arm-waving and the gesticulating and etc etc. Couple of wind-up merchants if you ask me.

Reminded me of a time many years ago when I was captaining a side. The opposition were giving us a right old seeing-to, but I knew that one of the batsmen was always a little, er, stressed. I wandered over to the bowler in between deliveries and started making 'arm-waving signals' in the direction of deep square leg, then pointing at the batsman. All I actually was saying to the bowler was "I've come to talk to you just to break his concentration, now pitch the next one up", and went back to extra cover. The batsman obviously expected a short one, and was most surprised when got yorked. :D

Anoop

U19 12th Man
"neat" tactic! :D

But i don't think Hussain did it intentionally. But he should have reacted when Ganguly moved away... anyway next ball went for four.

Cricket is a great leveller.. ;)