• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gutsiest Bowling

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Just to complement the "Gutsiest Innings" thread that was created not so long ago.
Here're my nominations.

Bob Willis 8/43 vs Australia
Shane Warne 4/33 against South Africa (WC semi final)
Sarfraz Nawaz 9/56 vs Australia
Andrew Caddick 5/16 vs West Indies

kof98

U19 12th Man
LongHopCassidy said:
Just to complement the "Gutsiest Innings" thread that was created not so long ago.
Here're my nominations.

All of these may be great bowling performances, but how are they the gutsiest? Surely the qualification for such a thing would be that the bowler had to bowl through a lot of pain/discomfort due to an injury.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Warney was fully fit in the Semi-Final. That's excellent bowling, but not gutsy.

Gutsiest to me is either going through heaps of pain, or absolutely taking a beating from the batsman (or bowler in the batsman's case) and fighting back. A great knock in the bodyline series for example would be gutsy.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
kof98 said:
All of these may be great bowling performances, but how are they the gutsiest? Surely the qualification for such a thing would be that the bowler had to bowl through a lot of pain/discomfort due to an injury.
need not necessarily be due to injury....a bowler can turn a match around for his team in a heavily adverse situation with an inspired performance....why can't that be termed gutsy?

kof98

U19 12th Man
Sure, that would qualify as well as it would be a gutsy bowling pefromance. My point was that the gutsiest perfomance should not be confused with simply great bowling.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Gutsy bowling efforts I have read or heard have all been associated with the closest matches in Test Cricket history.

Alan Davidson would have to be the winner in this regard, if you consider the tied Test Match. Taking 5/135 in West Indian innings of 453, then 6/87 in the second innings to restrict WI to 284. (also scored 44 and 80 in the two innings).

Greg Matthews efforts in the tied Test in India would also have to come close. 5/103 and 5/146 . Having the bottle to bowl the last few overs under pressure must have to rate highly.

Norman Cowan's 6/77 in England's 3 run win over Australia at the MCG in 1982 must have to another Gutsy effort.

Nick Cook's 11 wickets for 83 in Pakistan although in a losing cause, almost pulled off an improbable victory in March 84, when Pakistan chasing 65 to win only just got there at 7/66 with Cook taking 5/18.

None of these I have seen, but reading them they seem brilliant efforts of bowling (each in their own way).

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Malcolm Marshall in this match. Broken thumb, yet came out to bat allowing Gomes to get his 100, and then taking 7/53

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Abdul Qadir once bowled with a cast on his left arm, and got 9 for in an innings against England (1987).

I am not totally sure about the two happening the same match, but I remember for sure that he bowled a long spell with a broken hand, and also got 9 for against England. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LongHopCassidy said:
Here're my nominations.

I'm not a big fan of mentioning Caddick as a gutsy bowler, although the effort you've mentioned was very good. For mine he neglected to turn up in the first innings way too many times.