• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gutsiest Innings

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
OK, i'm gonna need some help here, but wasn't there a match between India and Pakistan that Zaheer Abbas won for Pakistan, and at the end of the match when he took off his shoes, his socks were soaked in blood?

Legglancer

State Regular
How about Sanath Jaysurya's 253 against pakistan where he bat right through the innings a put on a 101 runs for the 10th wicket with CRD Fornando where fornando only scored 1 run.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
symonds 140 odd against pak - gutsy becoz he defied all expectations and came out on top absolutely hammering the pak attack

Grubb

Cricket Spectator
Bob Blair in tandem with Bert Sutcliffe. Read the guff, from an article by Lynn McConnell on Cricinfo. Part of NZ cricket folklore.

If there was one moment in his career more memorable than several outstanding contenders, it had to be Boxing Day at Johannesburg in 1953 when the New Zealanders were coming to terms with the tragedy of New Zealand's worst rail disaster at home when 151 people died on Christmas Eve when the overnight North Island express train ploughed into a river after a bridge had been washed out.

Original news of the disaster was worsened when one of the team's bowlers, Bob Blair, learned his fiancee had perished in the tragedy.

New Zealand were playing the second Test against South Africa and Neil Adcock woke up in a mean mood. New Zealand were put through a fast bowling mill and Sutcliffe was hit on the head and taken to hospital.

Forty years after the event when interviewed, the memory of what happened next still brought a pause from Sutcliffe, a wipe of the eye and a lump in the throat.

Sutcliffe went back out to bat swathed in bandages and with Blair not attending the ground, everyone started to leave the field when the ninth wicket fell.

Sutcliffe recalled the moment: "It was quite an unreal situation. We all started to leave the field at what we thought was the end of the innings and there was Bob coming out of the tunnel to bat. He didn't need to do it - we had saved the follow-on - but when he left the hotel to come to the ground he didn't know that. You don't expect a guy to appear like that.

"The whole atmosphere was unbelievable and you could sense the crowd asking themselves: 'How would we feel if that happened to us?' There was a stunned silence.

"Bob was all right till he looked at the other guys, who were crying. I said to him: 'For goodness' sake, what are you doing here? Throw the bat at the ball and get out.' He played at the first couple of balls and didn't know where they were. Then he hit a six and the crowd went wild. When we came back at the end of the innings they were jumping up and down cheering."

Typically, Sutcliffe down-played his own role in proceedings. He hit 80, in a superb attacking innings and shared the world record for most runs in an over, 25, which was only beaten by another New Zealander Craig McMillan three weeks ago when he scored 26.

Apparently there was a fair bit of blood - Sutcliffe's - on the pitch to greet Blair when he went out.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Laxman 280 @You-know-where is one of the gutsietst inning I have watched.

Regarding the Dean Jones Inning at Madras, I think Border's motivation was a big factor as well. :-

"....The Tied Test was played in the hottest conditions I have ever experienced!. 40degrees out there, every day, with unrelenting humidity at about 80 per cent. I lost 8 kilos from that match alone, I received four bottles of saline through an intravenous drip. I could not run at one stage -- Border and I took to walking our runs.

My tactics for the last part of my knock was to block three balls and then just muster up some energy and slog the next. Luckily, it worked out. Border did motivate me, in his own way -- when I was on 174, I was racked with pain, dehydration, felt like I had pins and needles in my hands, added with the fact that at times I could not stop myself from urinating in my trousers.

I mentioned to AB that I had had enough, and sure enough his reply was quick: “Lets get a tough Australian out here then, if you can’t handle it anymore. Let’s get a Queenslander!. Greg Ritchie can handle this!” So I told what he could do with his tough bloody Queenslander, and batted on! ..."

http://www.rediff.com/worldcup99/australia/inter/2203dj1.htm

Alan Border :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
How about Sanath Jaysurya's 253 against pakistan where he bat right through the innings a put on a 101 runs for the 10th wicket with CRD Fornando where fornando only scored 1 run.
Hardly gutsy.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
From what i've heard jones for me but the most recent gutsy performance i've seen is graham thorpe v west indiesa t old trafford i think

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'd say any of these efforts:

210 by Dean Jones vs India

281 by VVS Laxman vs Australia

98* and 100* by Allan Border vs West Indies

149* by Ian Botham vs Australia

153* by Brian Lara vs Australia

100* by Kim Hughes vs West Indies

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Another Gutsy innings everyone forgot is 175 by Kapil Vs. Zim and also one 114 by Miandad Vs. India. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
what about the 189* by viv vs england? arguably the best one day innings of all time....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Graham Gooch - 154* against the West Indies at Leeds in June, 1991. The innings total was 252, and only two others (Ramprakash and Derek Pringle) made double figures, 27 apiece.

Steve Watkin, Phil DeFreitas and Pringle then ran through the West Indies side as England won by 115 runs. PWC ranks this the most highly of any innings ever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But do we not want to look at an innings played in spite of injury etc, rather than just a superb display of batsmanship?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Honorable mention to Atherton's 185* vs South Africa.

we seem to be excluding people here based on them not being injured, the title of the thread isnt 'Greatest innings when injured'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Gutsy innings in terms of playing in the face of adversity, would have to be 2 instances I read of batsmen who were injured badly and still coming out to play for the sake of their Team.

Rick McCosker having suffered a fractured jaw while batting in the first innings of the centenary Test(March 1977) then returning to the crease in the second innings to add 44 runs (scoring only 25) but in the end that proved decisive as Australia won by 45 runs.

The other instance is also an Aussie.

Bill Lawry having had ten stitches after being hit on the head by Peter Pollock in the Durban Test of January 1967, then coming back to be the top scorer with 44 in a total of 147 (in reply to SA score of 300).(The game was lost)

But these two instances (neither of which I saw) rate with Dean Jones's innings IMO even though they were not match winning innings, they show out the men from the boys .

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
But if its injury you want

Compton vs Aus 1948 145*

England lose the first 2 tests and drop Hutton, Washbrook and Emmett go early, Edrich already hit.
Enter Compton

"At once Lindwall began to bump him, firing balls around his head, testing his mettle, and striking Compton on the arm. Unperturbed Compton hooked at another and top edged the ball onto his forehead...he staggered around with blood spurting out of a wound by his eyebrow.. ******ed from the field, his shirt sticky with blood, Compton was ordered to rest and stitches were inserted.

Compton sat, faintly nauseous, in the dressing room as England desperately tried to prevent further damage. But when the second new ball was taken 3 wickets fell quickly and at 119-5 Compton walked jauntily head swathed in bandages to a reception even warmer than usual...."

He went on to make 145* and England won the match.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting that turned a Test Match around on its head would have to be this one of Beefy Botham, without doubt. (July 1981)(the following I quote from a book).

Australia scoring 9/401 (John Dyson 102, Kim Hughes 89, Botham 6/95)England 174 (Botham 50)
England following on 227 runs behind, England 7/135 when Taylor is dismissed. Botham adds 117 for the 8th wicket with Graham Dilley (who made 56), 67 for the 9th wicket (with Chris Old who made 29), 37 for the last with Willis (who made just 2), finishing 149 not out. As has been mentioned in the other bowling thread, Willis then ripped the Aussies apart with 8/43 as Australia were dismissed for 111 to secure England an improbable 18 run victory !!

This must have been a Classic Test !!

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Eddie Paynter 83 vs Aus Brisbane 1933

Paynter was ill before the game but it was only his second test so he didn't tell anyone fearing he'd never get back in the side. Australia batted first and in intense sunshine and heat, Paynter's temperature soared and he was sent to hospital. Australia made 340 all out and England were 216-6, Paynter had been diagnosed with tonsilitis and was ordered to rest for days. Jardine sent for him. The Australians offered him a runner, but he declined, they might bowl him out but he wasnt going to be run out. Heavy with fever and pale he survived to the close for 90 minutes. He spent the night in hospital eating cold chicken and drinking champagne and resumed in the morning. He decided to hit out in the morning and batted another 2.5 hours to make 83, when he was out England were in the lead. Paynter would later hit the winnning runs with a 6.

Bert Suttcliffe 80* NZ vs SA 1953

As mentioned before

Last edited: