• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dissapointed With Indian Suppoters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankar

International Debutant
royGilchrist said:
The reason why I love watching Eden Gardfen matches is becasue of the passion of the crowd. Obviously they care about their team and want them to win, and dont like it when India loses. Karachi crowd have always been similar for the last 20 years I have been watching cricket, but maybe it was forced last time around to be "nice", which frankly is a bit fake to me.

The thing that I dont like is when the crowd interferes in the game like in that game when dravid/tendulkar were out on successive balls, or worse still in '96 world cup (which was pathetic in my opinion). Karachi crowds although smaller have had similar bad incidents, you guys might not remember, but once Prabhakar got 4 quick wickets including Miandad, and Pak were in deep trouble, the crowd strated intervening and the match had to be stopped.

So, showing passion and favouring the home team is fine, infact that provides excitement to the game, the visitors figihting the adversity of the crowd makes it more interesting, but when the passion starts meddling into the game (which it did not this time around), its a problem.
But it leaves a bad taste when the batsman plays a cracking shot and is greeted with complete silence.

At chepauk, I've noticed that at most of the times, all sections of the crowd spontaneously appreciate any piece of good cricket, be it from India or the opposition. It's not a forced reaction to be seen as a sporting crowd, it's just a spontaneous appreciation of good cricket.

Sehwag309

Banned
When Srikanth was attacked in Karachi

If the Indian team has grave doubts about the safety parameters in Karachi, the apprehensions are genuine, judged by Karachi's poor track record. The Indian captain of the 1989 tour, Krishnamachari Srikkanth, was a victim on the Karachi cricket ground when he was targeted by a spectator who rushed on to the ground The third One Day International played in Karachi on December 20, 1989, was later abandoned with Pakistan struggling at 28 for three wickets.

Later, commenting on arrangements in Karachi, Srikkanth was to say that in his experience, Karachi was always a troublesome centre, whether it was a Test match or One Day International. "When I was the captain of the Indian team, a spectator just rushed onto the ground in Karachi, used vile language, threatened me and almost hit me."

"It was really an awful experience for me, and I am still doing my best to forget it. Nasty experiences like this leave a scar on your memory and they take a long time to heal."

India was actually trailing by 1-0 in the series at that point of time and it could have levelled the series in Karachi.

Srikanth was to say later that "India was well on top" as Pakistan was struggling at 28 for three "with Manoj Prabhakar making swift inroads."

Manoj Prabhakar had dismissed Rameez Raja for zero (lbw), bowled Saleem Mailk for zero, (Pakistan had lost two wickets at the score of zero) and at 11, he got rid of Javed Miandad, lbw for 2. In 14.3 overs, Pakistan were reduced to 28 for 3.
Prabhakar had figures of 5-2-5-3 at that time.

Srikkanth recalled that, "Suddenly the crowd started pouring into the ground and there was total chaos with everybody running helter skelter. To our dismay, the match was abandoned. We would have almost certainly won" but for the crowd intervention.

The sordid saga of Karachi continues in our next episode tomorrow.

LINK

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
Well, some one started a thread abt Indians Supporters and I am merley showing that other supporters have also created problems in the past.

Luckily, I didn't start a new one and kept in this one.

Doesn't look nice eh when pointed towards your own!

P.S I was just confirming what the other guy was saying abt "Prabhakar"

Also, what happened recently then...when Afridi got out in the Paktel Final, the crowds were leaving the game as if they just finished watching a movie show in threatre

Last edited:

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Doesn't look nice eh when pointed towards your own!
Indian supporters have many more skeletons in their closet :p. I just think we should talk about what is, not what was.
Having said that, I think supporters should support their team if it can in anyway affect their performance.

Sehwag309

Banned
Tony Blade said:
Indian supporters have many more skeletons in their closet :p. I just think we should talk about what is, not what was.
Having said that, I think supporters should support their team if it can in anyway affect their performance.
Sorry but I can say that exact same thing about Pakistani supporters too

But I do agree with the rest

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Sehwag309 said:
Well, some one started a thread abt Indians Supporters and I am merley showing that other supporters have also created problems in the past.
NO NEED TO DIG UP ALL THE BAD INCIDENTS BRO
iv seen a change in pakistan fans
and hope to see a change in the indian fans too
all im sayin is that its not nice when a player from the opposition makes a gutsy hundred infront of almost humdred thousand peaple and every time therz a four or a six its a pin drop silence
obviosly u gotta support ur team
it would b just nice if they wud do this
hope full to see a gud tour in feb by pakistan
cheers

Bouncer

State Regular
Waao Waao Wait a minute Sehwag, you are bringing up stuff from past is making me remind you of another incident...Mar 1987, place was Ahmedabad....Never ever in History of International cricket that a Captain brought his team on to the field wearing halmets, for a whole session. Crowd kept on throwing Bottles and metal stuff on Pakistani playes all day and woudnt stop even after the securties and police interviened...which made Imran(who was trying his best to not to take his team off field and call the game (tour)off ) take this extreme step.

My point is that Indian Crowd has been the worse behaved crwod in the whole crickting world, specially when they are losing, wosre than Pakistani....Pak have been losing at home for quite a while now...but how many times have u had the crowd behaved as bad as indian crowd(putting stadium on fire, throwing objects at opposite team)

The only one i rememebr happened in Karachi in 1997 but even that was caused by spectators out side the stadium who could not get into the crowd and got mad.

Sehwag309

Banned
Indian Behaved Crowd...YEAH WHOLE OF INDIA

Anyone hear of that infamous incident in 1980-81?

West Indies were playing at Multan, and the crowd kept throwing fruit and stones at Sylvester Clarke who was on the boundary. Guy has a wonderful temper, and it didn't take much for them to rile him up until he grabbed a brick and threw it back into the crowd.

Also

Angry fans accuse team of 'throwing' match

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Of course all those fans who injured Stewart, Bevan etc during some tournament in England were Indians as well. 8-) May be a fan kidnapping some Cricketer's relative after a loss was Indian as well. There are many incidents for both the countries.

The point here is you should shed your 'Holier Than Thou' attitude. I myself have seen Indian crowd behaving in a pathetic way and is one of the reasons stopped going to cricket stadiums years ago, But It is pretty much same in Pakistan. So far I have not heard of any Crowd trouble in Calcutta since 1998/1999 test match trouble. India has played a no. of matches at Eden Gardens since and it has been alright.

I didn't hear about any crowd trouble in the 13 Nov match and I dont know why this thread was started. It was a D/N game, It's is upto the crowd if they want to stay or leave and it should be okay with everyone as long as they dont create any trouble. India were losing and Now dont expect the crowd to be sporting and applaud every Four hit by Pakistani Batsmen. Hey If I would be there, I wouldn't do it either.

Attachments

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:
Indian Behaved Crowd...YEAH WHOLE OF INDIA
Anyone hear of that infamous incident in 1980-81?
Well, It doesn't make us any less guilty, I personally was present in Keenan Stadium in a match against England, when Devn Malcom was hit by a missile from the Crowd. When England were batting, Neil Fairbrother was batting well and he was hit hard by a Salil Ankola delivery. He was in Pain and it was surprising to see the way crowd wished he got injured and they cheered Ankola every time he came in to bowl demanding furthur hits to his body. Same happened during Saeed's 194, I was watching on TV in a Club and most of the Indian fans wanted Saeed Injured more (as if he wasn't already) and wanted his runner be removed.

Sehwag309

Banned
Sanz said:
Well, It doesn't make us any less guilty, I personally was present in Keenan Stadium in a match against England, when Devn Malcom was hit by a missile from the Crowd. When England were batting, Neil Fairbrother was batting well and he was hit hard by a Salil Ankola delivery. He was in Pain and it was surprising to see the way crowd wished he got injured and they cheered Ankola every time he came in to bowl demanding furthur hits to his body. Same happened during Saeed's 194, I was watching on TV in a Club and most of the Indian fans wanted Saeed Injured more (as if he wasn't already) and wanted his runner be removed.
I know, I am not saying we are saints but stereotyping everyone was wrong in addition to behaving as if Pakistani fans are all welcoming everytime

Bouncer

State Regular
Sanz, the discussion point heer is CROWD in "India and Pakistan"...if u would care to stay on topic....but heck who am i asking for making sense...... 8-)

hey , BTW is England not the same place where After the loss to SA, a Hindu fan, attacked the minority muslim captain of India.... :D :D ...wait now u are going to call crowd running into a cricket field an English Tradition......haan

Sehwag309

Banned
Bouncer said:
Sanz, the discussion point heer is CROWD in "India and Pakistan"...if u would care to stay on topic....but heck who am i asking for making sense...... 8-)

hey , BTW is England not the same place where After the loss to SA, a Hindu fan, attacked the minority muslim captain of India
Atleast in India, they get the captaincy :cool:

And there's absolutely no need to bring in religion in this pal

Bouncer

State Regular
Sehwag. trying to bring Match fixing into discussion.....is this the best excuse u can have to defend ur well behaved crowd 8-)

...Son as far as match fixing is concern....well.....Does Jadeja, Azher, And Kapil who cried on national TV (what a hero haaa, reaally represented the whole countrys bravery) ring any bells....? :D

Bouncer

State Regular
Sehwag309 said:
Atleast in India, they get the captaincy :cool:

And there's absolutely no need to bring in religion in this pal
Hey i was the only one who sticked to topic to begin with and taked about only indian/pakistani crowd.....look at urself bringing in Match fixing, ur friend brining in crowd in England....how do u justify that.??

Sehwag309

Banned
Bouncer said:
Sehwag. trying to bring Match fixing into discussion.....is this the best excuse u can have to defend ur well behaved crowd 8-)

...Son as far as match fixing is concern....well.....Does Jadeja, Azher, And Kapil who cried on national TV (what a hero haaa, reaally represented the whole countrys bravery) ring any bells....? :D
If a neutral is reading this, I am sure they would be confused as well.

Where the hell did u bring up match fixing to defending well behaved crowd?

Read what you wrote b4 abt Hindu hitting on a Minority captain, it was a cheap shot as usual and I had to reply u aptly saying Minority (we dont like to think that) gets captaincy job

Azhar was never found guilty of Match Fixing BTW

My point about the crowd was that all crowds aren't the same in India just the way you term Indians as "Java Monkies"..there are other professions too

P.S Sanz is not my mind, just a fellow poster who happens to support Indian team and Murali :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bouncer, I see you running for Cover(As you ran in the other thread when Marc asked for an explanation). We are talking about Indian/Pakistani crowds. A Pakistani crowd in England doesn't become English Crowd. India has not played in Pakistan that much to know the true behaviour of Pakistani fans. India played Pakistan in 1989, 1997 and both the times we have heard of Crowd trouble and same is true for Indian crowd as well. In recent times, India/Pakistan are riding on the friendship wave, so the behaviour of the crowd has changed. I know it is too difficult for you to understand.

As for your example of 'a Hindu fan attacking a Muslim Captain of India', all I can say is it relects your disgusting personality and because that same person attacked another Indian Player who definately is not Muslim and his name happens to be Rahul Dravid. I know your level and not surprised when you brought religion into this discussion.

http://www.rediff.com/worldcup99/india/news/1705azar.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.