• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, yes, I know, there's still 21 days (and 7 matches) to go until England arrive in South Africa, but surely World cricket's most exciting series of the last 10 years deserves some early discussion?
I don't think Michael Vaughan is alone in thinking wistfully of the time when the Zimbabwe tour is over (hopefully without too much embarrassment on any part) and the real business can start.

tooextracool

International Coach
i look forward to graeme smith smashing harmison all over the place and proving to all of us what a lucky bowler he really is.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i look forward to graeme smith smashing harmison all over the place and proving to all of us what a lucky bowler he really is.....
Sounds distinctly like someone else before the West Indies series. :happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Name a better one.
Australia-India is the only one that comes close - and that was only 2 series (2000\01 and 2003\04).
Since 1994, there have been two sensational England-South Africa series and three that have been better than much of the rubbish we've seen in the last couple of years.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Your phraseology suggested that the upcoming Test series would be the best seen in the last ten years...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
And if it doesn't happen I'll admit Smith played poorly, something he hasn't done all that often - let alone over a period of 5 whole Test-matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Your phraseology suggested that the upcoming Test series would be the best seen in the last ten years...
Well, it might be.
Of course, it might be a totally one-sided monopoly or a rain-ruined farce or anything that makes cricket boring.
But surely it has all the makings of a classic.
So, we might remind ourselves, did the recent India-Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sounds distinctly like someone else before the West Indies series. :happy:
Difference is, there I predicted it and no-one said "don't be so stupid, Harmison's the best bowler England have produced in... well... the way some people talk you'd think since SF Barnes..." Which most people who don't know me would do if I said that.
Before the West Indies series Harmison was considered a good prospect whose time was just around the corner, and so I'd have been more likely to get comments along the lines of "oh, don't be such a negative pessimist!"

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Difference is, there I predicted it and no-one said "don't be so stupid, Harmison's the best bowler England have produced in... well... the way some people talk you'd think since SF Barnes..." Which most people who don't know me would do if I said that.
Before the West Indies series Harmison was considered a good prospect whose time was just around the corner, and so I'd have been more likely to get comments along the lines of "oh, don't be such a negative pessimist!"
Ah but I predicted Harmison to have a big series. I never said "You're an idiot Richard, there's no two ways around it you foolish ninkanpoop. Harmison's the best bowler England... yadda... yadda... yadda..." but I did oppose your opinion in my own treehugging way. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Well, it might be.
Of course, it might be a totally one-sided monopoly or a rain-ruined farce or anything that makes cricket boring.
But surely it has all the makings of a classic.
So, we might remind ourselves, did the recent India-Australia.
If you're talking of a series of brilliant and entertaining cricket, West Indies v Australia 1999 wasn't the worst by any means, but if you mean most anticipated you may have a case. I'd still disagree, but I don't feel the need to back myself with an alternative and/or evidence considering I'm conversing with you. ;)

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
And if it doesn't happen I'll admit Smith played poorly, something he hasn't done all that often - let alone over a period of 5 whole Test-matches.
of course there isnt a possibility of harmison bowling well is there?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Name a better one.
Australia-India is the only one that comes close - and that was only 2 series (2000\01 and 2003\04).
Since 1994, there have been two sensational England-South Africa series and three that have been better than much of the rubbish we've seen in the last couple of years.
err WI-aus 99?
pak-ind 99?

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If you're talking of a series of brilliant and entertaining cricket, West Indies v Australia 1999 wasn't the worst by any means, but if you mean most anticipated you may have a case. I'd still disagree, but I don't feel the need to back myself with an alternative and/or evidence considering I'm conversing with you. ;)
argh beat me to it....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
of course there isnt a possibility of harmison bowling well is there?
Oh of course there is - but given that it hasn't actually happened yet in his Test-career I'd not think it very likely.
If it happens, of course I'll equally acknowledge it.