• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Oh of course there is - but given that it hasn't actually happened yet in his Test-career I'd not think it very likely.
If it happens, of course I'll equally acknowledge it.
i shall refrain myself from proving you wrong again, its been done far too many times in the past.......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
err WI-aus 99?
pak-ind 99?
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If you're talking of a series of brilliant and entertaining cricket, West Indies v Australia 1999 wasn't the worst by any means, but if you mean most anticipated you may have a case. I'd still disagree, but I don't feel the need to back myself with an alternative and/or evidence considering I'm conversing with you. ;)
Yes, the series was a phenominal one.
So, of course, were the one-sided farces in 2000\01 and 2003\04, weren't they? :)
I was talking (even if I didn't make that clear enough) about the fact that England and South Africa have produced several good series, something no other two teams have managed when playing each other, India and Australia coming closest.
The two most recent Pakistan-India series have been excellent; sadly, there's been little to accompany them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i shall refrain myself from proving you wrong again, its been done far too many times in the past.......
Good, good - you've learned how to avoid a few of these 50-quote wars again.
Suffice it to say I'm equally satisfied I've done the inverse.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Yes, the series was a phenominal one.
So, of course, were the one-sided farces in 2000\01 and 2003\04, weren't they? :)
I was talking (even if I didn't make that clear enough) about the fact that England and South Africa have produced several good series, something no other two teams have managed when playing each other, India and Australia coming closest.
The two most recent Pakistan-India series have been excellent; sadly, there's been little to accompany them.
and the SA-eng series in 99 was another one of those one sided farces that you speak about......
needless to say that this SA side is about half as good as the previous sides and this england side is probably twice as good as the former england sides.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ah but I predicted Harmison to have a big series. I never said "You're an idiot Richard, there's no two ways around it you foolish ninkanpoop. Harmison's the best bowler England... yadda... yadda... yadda..." but I did oppose your opinion in my own treehugging way. :)
And equally people had predicted Harmison to have a big series several times in the past (indeed, in all his first 3 authentic series). Admittedly, not all of them were as informed about cricket as you, Liam, but some were.
On those occasions I was proven right; Harmison's first 2 full series produced virtually nothing until the end of those series. In two of the most recent three my predictions of Harmison's success or otherwise have proven inaccurate.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, but I didn't give a rat's behind about making predictions regarding Harmison previously in his career. 'Twas my first Harmison related suggestion and, so that I maintain a 100% accuracy record, perhaps my last.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and the SA-eng series in 99 was another one of those one sided farces that you speak about......
needless to say that this SA side is about half as good as the previous sides and this england side is probably twice as good as the former england sides.
If you ask me the England squad that toured in 1999\2000 was actually a bit better than the one picked this time around.
Of course SA aren't anywhere near as good as when they had Kirsten, Cullinan, Cronje, Rhodes and Donald.
The 1999\2000 series wasn't anywhere near as one-sided as you seem to be suggesting - after The First Test England's cricket was by-and-large equal and occasionally superior to a very strong side - just two horrible periods in The Fourth (after 2-and-a-bit days in the field in The Third) lost that game and hence the series. Of course, we can't take the result of The Fifth too seriously but nonetheless it was part of England performing more competantly than most really expected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ah, but I didn't give a rat's behind about making predictions regarding Harmison previously in his career.
I'm sure you didn't, but people with similar ideas to you did. And I opposed them, and I was proven (spectacularly) right until the final rites of the series.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Either way, you're a winner. :D
I'm presuming you'd prefer a South African victory?
They couldnt be beaten by a more lovely team..

Yeah I'd rather they ripped England to shreds, and splattered Pietersen's blood all over the wicket in the process..

Can't see it happening though..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Either your return or the empty promise of a TEC-Richard ceasefire.

I'm tempted by the latter.
Oh but I love Richard (in a guy to guy over an internet forum discussing deep cricketing issues kind of way) and I'm thrilled at his return. No really, I'm beside myself!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Either your return or the empty promise of a TEC-Richard ceasefire.

I'm tempted by the latter.
Return?
I've been nowhere.
Just because I've not been able to post with the regularity of this evening (due to a damaged computer which refused to stay "on" for more than about 5 minutes in a usual period) doesn't mean I need "return", as if from exile.
BTW, was that text a joke or are you actually going to try and make an idiot's guide to the ICC's Report on Bowling Actions?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
BTW, was that text a joke or are you actually going to try and make an idiot's guide to the ICC's Report on Bowling Actions?
I wouldn't doubt he has the time (read lack of a life) and motivation (read motivation) to do such.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Return?
I've been nowhere.
Just because I've not been able to post with the regularity of this evening (due to a damaged computer which refused to stay "on" for more than about 5 minutes in a usual period) doesn't mean I need "return", as if from exile.
I do intend to, if I can get hold of the full copy - sometime over the Christmas break.