• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Admittedly I only saw what Sky Sports News showed, but Jonesy seemed to be charging in ok in practice yesterday.

I think it's a v harsh call, on form Harmy should've got the ar$e. Not that I'm advocating that, I hasten to add.

After watching tonight's highlights I reckon Tres is looking in woeful nick, he must edged half-a-dozen & played-and-missed as least as many again before one carried.

When his eye's not there his lack of footwork makes him look v ordinary.

Good, fighting innings from Key; doesn't look in prime form & still scored good runs, which is encouraging. Just running out of superlatives for the boy Strauss. Talk about to the manor born.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Key looked extremely good today. He did look a quality player I must admit.

Strauss... well what more praise can we bring?

Trescothick... oh dear...

Thorpe got a good one early in his innings. Unfortunate I thought, because I'm not certain he would have handled it the same had it been the morning of day two. Well-bowled Ntini.

The South African catching today was very impressive. The pitch seemed to be allowing some good pace and carry and some of those edges flew fairly briskly. I must also say that Dale Steyn looks a real talent. It's the first time I've gotten a proper look at him and he really impressed me (and the commentators it seems). That said, Andre Nel did the same.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
He is just playing his 10th FC match and showing signs of improving. Bob Willis and Botham also reckon he has a bit of talent apart from me. Dale "the inexperienced Steyn" would be how I would term him.
It's all well having potential, but that doesn't always work when performance is needed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Ouch. Strauss & Thorpe's wickets late in the day had to hurt.

Will be an interesting day's play tomorrow.
I actually think Hoggard is the key tomorrow.

If he can bat for an hour (even only scoring 4 or 5 runs) then I could see England getting a very good score.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Key looked extremely good today. He did look a quality player I must admit.
As someone who has professed himself mortally afraid that Key will cement himself as England's #3, I feel I should point out that I think he's a good player - once he gets to 30 or 40. He's one of the few players to whom Richard's first-chance average thing seems very applicable to me, as he seems to give a palpable chance early on in *every* innings (whereas most people don't, which is why I think it's generally a useless stat).

But there's no doubting that he's done better than Butcher over their last few matches each, so he deserves to keep the place for a bit now. I suppose. Grump.

Cheers,

Mike

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
It's all well having potential, but that doesn't always work when performance is needed.
I think there were a few people saying that about Harmison during the last Eng-SA series.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
He was carrying some injury and it was thought too big a risk to carry Langeveldt into the match. If he got severely injured during the match and could not play, it would be too big a blow.
A broken hand is fairly serious to be fair!

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
A good point Mike, but Harmison had a lot of bowling behind him even then - Steyn is very Green.
True enough, but it's a bit churlish to deny that Steyn looks like quite a prospect, and in the absence of the obviously more dangerous Langeveldt he's not a bad pick.

I think he's got a face like a rat, though.

Cheers,

Mike

Link

State Vice-Captain
Tres ordinary - was'nt that the same guy that contributed in a 250+ run partnership the other day. You never know what to expect from him, he could get a hundred or 10 but he will always look the same, he never really looks like he has 'gotten in'

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly piscine said:
Doesn't surprise me, the ball has moved all over the place when the cloud has come over
Your obviously listening to it on radio because I can tell you, watching it live, that since halfway through the first session the wicket has been flat as a pancake.

Key was undone by good bowling.

Strauss lost concentration after 147.

Thorpe edged the new ball on 0.

Nothing sinister about anything.

If England dont make 450 on this pitch they will have under-achieved IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
social said:
Your obviously listening to it on radio because I can tell you, watching it live, that since halfway through the first session the wicket has been flat as a pancake.
Not true. The second new ball did do a bit more. It didn't move "all over the place" but it did present more of a challenge.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Not true. The second new ball did do a bit more. It didn't move "all over the place" but it did present more of a challenge.
So it should, there's a problem if it doesnt but it is an easy batting wicket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
A broken hand is fairly serious to be fair!
I knew he had an injury but didnt know which one. And the South Africans were considering playing him even with the broken hand. Thankfully they didnt play him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And he would have been ineffective while fielding. There would be no exemption from the fielding as the injury occured before the match and not in it.