• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it personal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahindiawah

Banned
Read this article which appeared on TimesofIndia.

Five reasons why Lloyd is like this

Kolkata is livid with Lloyd. How could he do this to their 'Maharaj'? And after 'Jagguda', another Kolkatan and now the veritable patron saint of cricket, was so nice to him during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations despite his 'poor past record' (heaping 'badnaam' on the Eden crowd by calling off the 1996 World Cup semi-final).

Arup Chatterjee, a true blue Kolkatan, takes a twisted look and finds five reasons why Lloyd is like this.

1. Lloyd hates all Indian captains.

And why shouldn't he? Didn't one of them make his all-conquering Caribbeans look silly at the Eden in 1974-75. When the whole world thought otherwise, 'Tiger' Pataudi had persisted with a wayward Chandrasekhar to turn the Test for a famous victory.

Famous my foot. It was plain pure humiliation for the West Indians, and didn't Lloyd look the silliest of them all, still waiting to bring his big bat down when the ball had actually crashed into his stumps!

Just in case it didn't occur to you, the 30th anniversary of that ignominy is here, and Lloyd was around for an 'appropriate' commemoration.

2. Lloyd actually hates all Indian cricketers.
Didn't a bunch of no-hopers from India turn his World Cup hat-trick dreams into nightmare? Worse, Sourav Ganguly actually looks so much the 'dibli-dobli' medium-pacers that derailed his mighty men's chase of a meager total in the summer of 1983.

You have to be naive to believe the Super Cat has forgotten all about the final.

3. Lloyd had an eye on the record books.

Well, we just spoke of the missed 'hat-trick', a terrible thing in a game that loves looking through its statistical eye, but here was another chance in his new avatar. With Sunday’s verdict, Lloyd has sought out a permanent place in the record books. Other refs may make their mark with similar judgements, but no one will be able to dislodge him from being the 'first' to ban a skipper on the slow over-rate clause.

After having set it up nicely with the 'first warning' in Sydney, he had to go for the kill here. For the record, Lloyd was also the 'first' ref to call off a World Cup match because of crowd trouble!

4. It's all about Brand Lloyd.

Lloyd's carefully promoted image of the grumpy guy, nicely heightened by the hint of a droop in the moustache, was taking a beating of late, what with the former West Indies skipper caught smiling and having a good time during the Platinum Jubilee bash.
Something had to be done before he left the city.

5. Lloyd didn't like the wrap.

The memento will do fine, but the shawl the Union sports minister handed over during the felicitation on Saturday just won't do. No one cared to give a thought to the West Indian's girth though, according to unreliable sources, the guy who bought them is now claiming he couldn't find a wrap that size.

Well, if you keep the Super Cat cold, you better shiver as well.

wahindiawah

Banned
I think the author has a wierd imagination, statements like "lloyd hates all Indian cricketers seems extremely silly to me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's just India trying to keep up with Australia in the race for the stupidest conspiracy theory of 2004...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely that can't be an upstanding media corporation to print such an article. Looks far more tabloidesque.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
And I enquired as why on earth you were surprised to read it in that!
Because it's a shocking article regardless of what publication it hails from. Surely not worth much discussion on here. Deserves closing IMO.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Er, Times of India, Times of India.
Well TOI has now a days become Tabloid of India. I have stopped reading it years ago and advise others to look for better newspapers unfortunately there aren't many left.

If anyone still wants want to stick to TOI then please stick with the PRINT edition and stay away from the Internet Edition.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
guys, guys chill out. The article was written firmly tongue in cheek.
Arup Chatterjee, a true blue Kolkatan, takes a TWISTED look and finds five reasons why Lloyd is like this.
Arup Chatterjee is the one who wrote the article and he states before he starts that he is going to take a twisted look at why Gang was banned.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm... I thought that the mood in this thread was pretty 'chilled' already.
Looked more like one of your increasingly frequent weed-fuelled power trips to me :P

viktor

State Vice-Captain
+ considering whats happening in the other threads, I thought I might head any trouble off at the pass..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Looked more like one of your increasingly frequent weed-fuelled power trips to me :P
Interestingly enough you and your minions seem to enjoy discussing weed far more than I could ever stoop to. :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't see myself and Liam getting into too many on-forum rows.

With our reputations... (OK, maybe him - but definitely not me :p)

Mr Mxyzptlk

viktor said:
+ considering whats happening in the other threads, I thought I might head any trouble off at the pass..
Fear not, Neil and I have it well under control. I'll do the good guy role ("Calm down boys - Love each other") and Neil will do the thread closing if necessary.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Interestingly enough you and your minions seem to enjoy discussing weed far more than I could ever stoop to. :p
My economics teacher told me this one - It's like most things Liam (well, ***, anyway) - those who do it, don't talk about it and thos who don't do it, can't stop going on about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.